collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Lurkers.....Esteemed members  (Read 92061 times)

Offline JKEEN33

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Longhunter
Re: Lurkers.....Esteemed members
« Reply #300 on: August 17, 2017, 05:21:46 PM »
I started hunting about 10 years ago, and didn't know much about anything.  I came here mostly to learn and I did, though I didn't have much to contribute.  Using the search tool and doing lost of reading in old threads gave me most of what I needed.  I rarely felt the need to post questions since most of my questions had already been asked (many times) in prior years.

I've been here much less in the last few years now that I have a better idea what I'm doing.  I've also learned that if I don't ask a question then I'm forced to think and figure it out myself.  That feels good.  We all have a ton of info available to us through the internet, but its still nice to sometimes shun that option, struggle to find your own path, sometimes succeed, often fail, but ultimately learn what works for you.

Lots of good people and knowledge on this forum.  It's not perfect, but perfection is not needed.

There is no book or internet site that is going to teach you more than time spent in the field.

Offline Fishnfowler

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #301 on: August 17, 2017, 08:51:37 PM »
I'll start posting when the upland season rolls around.  Bout 2 weeks to go.

Offline cboom

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Permanently Banned!
« Reply #302 on: August 17, 2017, 09:12:24 PM »
I guess I'd like to see a place (forum section) where you had to make a certain number of posts (not off topic posts) to gain access.  It would help ensure that outsiders don't see some of your secret data.  It might be a safe place to offer advice on special hunts or areas when people felt like it was pertinent.  I don't mind sharing tips about a special hunt spot with a small group of interested applicants as long as I receive some help in return, but I don't really want to share it on the general net for someone to google search.

Not trying to get exclusive, just want to make sure people are roughly giving some as they take some.

Your theory is sound.  But but I  don't think post count should be much of a consideration.  There may be a person that has been on  for years and has a very low post count. But the posts they made have been  quality and helpful ones. On the other hand there could be a person that has been on for a very short time that makes all kinds of useless posts on a daily basis. And racks up a large post count in a very short time.

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #303 on: August 17, 2017, 09:19:51 PM »
I am 10x the hunter I was when I joined this forum.  I've received some incredible advice that has taken me from "yeah I've seen an elk before" to outings like last week where we glassed beautiful bull elk, then snuck within 100 yards because we could.  This isn't people giving up their sweet spots, it's people giving hard earned wisdom.

I'm totally confident if I ask for help or advice, I'll get it.  When I didn't have that confidence it was from my own insecurities.

I've seen some "overdoing it" from mods, but honestly I would rather have this forum a little more regulated than not.  When my kids start using the internet I would love for them to have a safer hunting space to learn on (when they aren't with me). 

Keep up the great work!

....now back to that kifaru site.....

Offline cboom

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Permanently Banned!
« Reply #304 on: August 17, 2017, 09:30:26 PM »
I don't want to point fingers at anyone on the forum or who has left, I simply want to make this a better place for everyone. It would be painting with a wide brush to think all who have left are the "good ones" as some posts seem to suggest. I think plenty of the "good ones" have stayed and still participate and enjoy the forum. My efforts are meant to benefit everyone who wants to enjoy this forum and to eliminate the negative atmosphere that turns off most of the members. I'm not going to the effort for any particular group, this is for the benefit of everyone who wants to participate.  :twocents:

Let me add:
This is my own personal reasoning, each of the mods may have different reasoning, but we are all together on making this a better place!

I know I have made comments about some of the good guys leaving.  But there are definitely many of them that are still here. I think the direction you are heading now will be very good for your forum.

And another thing that will help is when animals start hitting the ground here real soon and there are stories to be told!

I would love it if you thought a bit about the suggestion I made earlier in this thread.  Create a board where harvest pics could be posted. I think the way to do it would be is to only gain access once a person has submitted a post of a harvest with themselves in it. Could be anything from a fish, duck, to a monster buck.  I know I  would feel much better posting pics in a place anyone in the world couldnt see.

Online bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #305 on: August 18, 2017, 07:53:59 AM »
I don't want to point fingers at anyone on the forum or who has left, I simply want to make this a better place for everyone. It would be painting with a wide brush to think all who have left are the "good ones" as some posts seem to suggest. I think plenty of the "good ones" have stayed and still participate and enjoy the forum. My efforts are meant to benefit everyone who wants to enjoy this forum and to eliminate the negative atmosphere that turns off most of the members. I'm not going to the effort for any particular group, this is for the benefit of everyone who wants to participate.  :twocents:

Let me add:
This is my own personal reasoning, each of the mods may have different reasoning, but we are all together on making this a better place!

I know I have made comments about some of the good guys leaving.  But there are definitely many of them that are still here. I think the direction you are heading now will be very good for your forum.

And another thing that will help is when animals start hitting the ground here real soon and there are stories to be told!

I would love it if you thought a bit about the suggestion I made earlier in this thread.  Create a board where harvest pics could be posted. I think the way to do it would be is to only gain access once a person has submitted a post of a harvest with themselves in it. Could be anything from a fish, duck, to a monster buck.  I know I  would feel much better posting pics in a place anyone in the world couldnt see.

I've read every post in this topic. I have given some thought to having additional areas that only members can see. There are good reasons for and against either of those ideas. I will give it more thought and discuss with the mod team. Right now we are focused on administering the new policies to make this forum a better place.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Matth

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #306 on: August 18, 2017, 09:18:34 AM »
Hmmm. 

Tired of negative bashing.

Tired of conspiracy theories.

Tired of lack of civility in a disagreement.

Tired of native bashing.

Tired of apathy towards conservation, and tired of apathetic attitudes towards the image we portray to non hunters.

Tired of people ripping new members for their posts.

Like Jonathan, I rarely log in anymore.  I happened to get a PM notification and was responding to it when I saw this thread.

Thank you for soliciting the input.  Changing a culture is never easy, and sometimes it's just easier to go somewhere else.
Spot on. I just want hop on and enjoy the photos, and stories of hard earned harvests. I would also like to contribute a bit more, but as previously stated, i watch new members make there first couple of posts, and instantly get flamed, so i shy away from being more involved.  I posted a few pics years ago of a couple 130ish blacktail bucks that my dad and i had harvested 100% above board, and got questions about hunters orange, and tags even though the photo was clearly taken on the tailgate of my truck in my driveway. So now i just don't give anyone any ammo to fight with.

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #307 on: August 19, 2017, 11:10:24 PM »
forums need to be conversational. over-moderation and rules will kill it quickly. A good forum finds it's own flow. Deleting comments which are overly rude is all that needs to be done. I can see that the focus on "new rules" etc is the path towards a downfall.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline Turner89

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #308 on: August 20, 2017, 06:27:53 AM »
I just logged on, and found this thread.
 This is the first time in a very long time, that all the topics are about fishing, and hunting. That's refreshing. I'm sure I could have blocked the off topics board , but its Kind of like a car wreck....cant not look.
It's different than when I started, but nothing rarely stays the same.
" if your a 20 year old and not a liberal, you don't have a heart. If your a 40 year old and not a conservative,  you don't have a brain"

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #309 on: August 20, 2017, 08:29:04 AM »
Left default topics (off and even campfire)  off seems like a good ol hunting site now!!!
 :tup:

Offline elkonastick

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #310 on: August 20, 2017, 07:28:43 PM »
I quit after a high post member spread false rumors about me and others that had some success in an area he believed was his. also had another member give a detailed description of my pickup and the area i came out of with a big elk shed. he meant no harm and seemed to have just been excited at what he saw but it caught drama when i asked for it to be removed and it flooded the area with people. i do get a ton of great information and enjoy seeing peoples success. have had nothing but great encounters with deals made in the classified ads. i especially enjoy the wisdom shared by members with much more experience i.e. sabotloader. dude is a muzzleloader wizard and I have learned a ton from his posts. 2 posts today though. first in years maybe we will give this another go.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #311 on: August 20, 2017, 07:55:33 PM »
I quit after a high post member spread false rumors about me and others that had some success in an area he believed was his. also had another member give a detailed description of my pickup and the area i came out of with a big elk shed. he meant no harm and seemed to have just been excited at what he saw but it caught drama when i asked for it to be removed and it flooded the area with people. i do get a ton of great information and enjoy seeing peoples success. have had nothing but great encounters with deals made in the classified ads. i especially enjoy the wisdom shared by members with much more experience i.e. sabotloader. dude is a muzzleloader wizard and I have learned a ton from his posts. 2 posts today though. first in years maybe we will give this another go.

Please do! Thanks for coming back!
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline JM

• Scout
« Reply #312 on: August 21, 2017, 08:23:02 AM »
Posting on this forum is like driving. People do things in a car that most sure as hell wouldn't do if they were standing in front of you

Offline gaddy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #313 on: August 21, 2017, 03:18:36 PM »
Wow! just saw this thread. Only read a few pages but am amazed. I love this site and visit often. If I don't like the way a thread is going, I don't look at it. I love how everyone comes together to help some one in need. I like the stories of hunts, fishing trips, kids first animals or fish. And the Pictures. There are some really fine and knowledgeable people on here from what I have seen, wish I had the opportunity to meet you all. I also don't mind seeing some of the squabbles, they can be comical, but do tend to get out of hand at times.
The reason that I don't reply to many posts is that I just don't feel educated enough on the subject. I'll sit back and try to learn. And I can't type fast enough to respond before several others have, and at that point the focus has changed.
I love to tell of past adventures and do it often at camp, not sure it warrants a new thread though.
Perhaps an old guy story thread ? I am sure some have some whoopers about past hunts. Something where long arms didn't exist, there were no gps or range finders, trees in the distance were used as measurement tools and antlers were as wide as you could stretch your arms. ( remember that there were no cameras then ) That could be fun.
This site needs to focus on having fun in the outdoors. Isn't that what we all strive for? We all enjoy the outdoors, try to help others when we can and try to be good stewards of the land. Enjoy what this site has to offer  :twocents: :twocents:

Online bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #314 on: August 21, 2017, 05:09:12 PM »
Left default topics (off and even campfire)  off seems like a good ol hunting site now!!!
 :tup:

I read all the comments and thought about many of those comments and how we could make the site just and outdoor site without taking away from those who like the additional subject matter. The best way seemed to be to rearrange the site so that it's just hunting, fishing, and trapping unless you want to see and opt into the other topics/boards. Thanks for the comment, I'm glad the changes have pleased some of the members.  :tup:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by BigVinn
[Today at 10:21:19 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Today at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Today at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Today at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Today at 09:12:44 PM]