collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Quick smoked fish question  (Read 6028 times)

Offline hogslayer

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: Bloody decks
Re: Quick smoked fish question
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2017, 09:18:47 PM »
I just ran a batch of smoke salmon this weekend.  I went on the deep end and bought one of the really big/nice bradley.  I can't tell you guys how nice it is to set smoke time, set cook time, and temperature for both and not have to play with it.  I really like it.  6 racks high i can put quite a bit of stuff on there.  I did the basic brine of rock salt and brown sugar over night.  Washed and then put it in front of a fan for 1 hour ( most important part in my mind).  140 degrees for 3 hours.  Smoke the entire time.  Then hit 175 for one hour and done.

Offline Blacklab

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2017, 05:21:40 AM »
I pretty much hot smoke salmon till internal temp is 150-155. Preheated smoker 225. Never have tried squaw fish.
Hey! I'm not a complete idiot I have parts missing. Though sometimes I wonder.

If you want to make God laugh tell him your plans.

Offline quadrafire

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2017, 07:26:41 AM »
I pretty much hot smoke salmon till internal temp is 150-155. Preheated smoker 225. Never have tried squaw fish.
Pretty sure they are using salmon with the recipe for squaw candy. Not using squaw fish.

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2017, 09:42:32 AM »
Pretty sure they are using salmon with the recipe for squaw candy. Not using squaw fish.

Eew, squaw fish!  :yike:
That would be totally nasty!

LOL
I just ran a batch of smoke salmon this weekend.  I went on the deep end and bought one of the really big/nice bradley.  I can't tell you guys how nice it is to set smoke time, set cook time, and temperature for both and not have to play with it.  I really like it.  6 racks high i can put quite a bit of stuff on there.  I did the basic brine of rock salt and brown sugar over night.  Washed and then put it in front of a fan for 1 hour ( most important part in my mind).  140 degrees for 3 hours.  Smoke the entire time.  Then hit 175 for one hour and done.

They have me spoiled as well. Buy yourself a good wireless meat thermometer for when you want to smoke/cook to a certain internal temp.
Here is the one I have, it was rated no.1 in the reviews a couple years ago

igrill2 - bluetooth
https://www.amazon.com/iDevices-iGrill2-IGR0009P5-Bluetooth-Thermometer/dp/B00NC4KU42/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1502815264&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=igrill2+bluetooth+thermometer&psc=1

Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline Blacklab

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2017, 02:05:34 PM »
lol I wouldn't eat squaw fish either  :puke:  :chuckle:
Hey! I'm not a complete idiot I have parts missing. Though sometimes I wonder.

If you want to make God laugh tell him your plans.

Offline WSU

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2017, 02:32:48 PM »
Make sure to rinse the brine off and try a much longer trying period.  I did that my last few batches after reading Tom Nelson's info on outdoor line.  It's worth the wait IMO.

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2017, 05:49:05 PM »
Make sure to rinse the brine off and try a much longer trying period.  I did that my last few batches after reading Tom Nelson's info on outdoor line.  It's worth the wait IMO.

:yeah:
Good advice here!

I ran two smoke loads a couple years ago, first one I allowed to completely dry.
The second I rushed it, and did not allow the salmon to dry after brine rinsing.
There was a serious difference in how the texture came out. It does not sound like much, but comparing the two batches side by side, the one I was patient with had better taste, better texture, and the one I hurried had a little mushyness that the other did not.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2017, 06:27:40 PM »
Great tips.  I also second waiting for it to dry and form that film skin thing it does.  I learned hard way as well.  The fan idea is great. I will try that next time! :tup:
MAGA!  Again..

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal