collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Savage DOA hunter .308 win  (Read 1890 times)

Offline Scheindogg

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Savage DOA hunter .308 win
« on: April 09, 2017, 08:45:21 PM »
Finally took out my new gun! Savage DOA hunter .308 win (comes equipped with bushnell trophy 3-9x40 scope!!

So this is my first time shooting a rifle other than a 22 lr in Boy Scout camp about 12 years ago.

It came boresighted which I thought meant paper at 100yds but unfortunately bullet holes were nowhere to be found on the paper after 8 rounds. I felt terrible. I had a feeling it was hitting low because there was some larger bullet holes below the paper on the cardboard that I couldn't recall if they were there before I started shooting.
(Later I found out it was shooting low so I believe all my shots were on the cardboard below the target)
I wasn't sure if it's because I'm a terrible shot or because it wasn't properly bore sighted.

Then I moved it to 50 yards and ended up shootin 4 rounds to start. Just as I predicted they were all low! The very first one hit the bottom section of the target and the other 3 were on the bottom section of the paper but not on the target part of the paper.
Here's where my mistake came, I figured ok it needs to be adjusted higher( it was several inches low) so I had never adjusted a scope before and dumbly adjusted the windage 2 clicks. Shot 4 more rounds and my shot placement was similar as before. Bottom middle of target or slightly below the paper (although now it was slightly to the left).
I figured I had just not adjusted it up enough so i did 4 more clicks (of what I THOUGHT was elavation) and then shot 2 more rounds. These were not found on the paper and were maybe on the cardboard but I didn't take the time to decipher where it could have been.
Unfortunately after that was a cease fire and the range closed for the night.
Then when I got home I charged my phone (of course it died before I got there so I couldn't google how to properly adjust my scope)
And realized I had been adjusting windage (on the side) not elavation (on the top of the scope).

So NOW I know for next time how to adjust it correctly, and to turn it 6 clicks the opposite way to the way it was windage wise because my shots st the beginning were centered just very low, and the adjust the elevation up and I should be good to go.

The good news is that I posted on here when I first ordered it that the DOA hunter specifically had a 1star review and it was a major issue with the bolt so I was freaking out... well I hadn't zero issues. Bolt was very smooth and had no issues with any of the shots I took with my new rifle!

I love it and I'm super excited to get back out there and get the elavation fixed because then I will be all good! The other part of the good news is that although I was low I was in a decent group I felt like they were all fairly centered and close together, like I said just low.

Alright I'm done ranting now, just excited about my first rifle  8)
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me -Phillipians 4:13

Offline Scheindogg

• Longhunter
Re: Savage DOA hunter .308 win update
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 06:56:11 PM »
So I finally got my savage DOA hunter dialed in ready to go for my first hunt!

I must say being my first rifle, I appreciate all of you who suggested /agreed .308 was not too much recoil for a first rifle, definitely not! This thing shoots like a dream!

Those of you looking at a new rifle ready to go on a hunt (after being properly sighted in that is) this is about as close as you can get! The scope it comes with is great (Bushnell Trophy 3-9x40 with DOA 600 reticle, goes for about 160$ at midway) and the gun itself is a great value! I got it for about 550$ (that's how much it is right now also after a rebate. Also the scope comes on a set of weaver grand slam rings which is much better than most package rifle scope deals.
Anywho here's a picture of my 6 shot group once I was done sighting it in (ignore all the patchup stickers they were while I was still adjusting it  :chuckle: )
And also a pic of the gun because it's awesome  8)
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me -Phillipians 4:13

Offline magnanimous_j

• Old Salt
Re: Savage DOA hunter .308 win
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 09:33:17 AM »
Nice rifle! But what's the difference between the DOA and a regular 11/111?

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Re: Savage DOA hunter .308 win
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 11:48:19 AM »
Awesome. That looks just like my Savage 16 LWH in 7mm-08 (except the 16 is stainless).

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Today at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Today at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Today at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Today at 09:12:44 PM]

Hunting Dog Memorial by ghosthunter
[Today at 08:55:30 PM]