collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Timber permits worth the squeeze, non-motorized  (Read 3213 times)

Offline mendozer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • seattle, wa
Timber permits worth the squeeze, non-motorized
« on: August 13, 2017, 06:47:45 PM »
Is it worth the $50 for a non-motorized access to either Weyer or Hancock? I'm not going to pay 300 bucks to hunt timber land, no matter what. But I may do 50 for good access. However, having never been on these lands, are the roads even good enough to be riding a mountain bike on them? I fear what may happen should I even get a deer or elk. That's gonna be some rigorous biking out of there before the lights go out!

thoughts?

Offline BigGoonTuna

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Re: Timber permits worth the squeeze, non-motorized
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 10:08:45 PM »
If i had known about the "restricted" areas in vail, which coincidentally all happen to be close to my house, i would've sprung for the non motorized permit.  It wasnt until i got my packet in the mail that i learned that they were walk-in only, not closed to all access.
you can still get gas in heaven, and a drink in kingdom come,
in the meantime, i'll be cleaning my gun

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 09:28:14 AM »
I think it would be worth the $50, but I would be particular about exactly where I was going in, and where I was hunting. You'd want to hunt areas relatively close to the gate, which often are not hunted as much as other areas that are further in. The people who spend $300 for motorized access aren't usually going to hunt just inside the gate. You want to get your money's worth and get in there 20 miles before you even consider getting out of the truck to hunt! So the guy going in less than a half mile just might get into some good hunting. I think it's worth a try if you don't have an other options. It would likely be better than overcrowded public land.

Offline pope

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 04:35:51 AM »
Definitely worth $50 assuming the walk-in areas hold animals and are sufficiently large. On the tree farm where I occasionally hunt, the walk-in pass just means no motorized transport. Bikes and horses are OK. My access is not limited to the walk-in areas; I can hunt behind all of the gates. It's not a secret that animals tend to avoid areas within eyesight of traveled roads, so one way or the other, you're going to have to walk to see more animals.

I understand your concerns about killing an animal without having your truck near you. If you are willing to break the animal down in the field, you can carry out an entire deer in a backpack in one load. Check out the many videos on the gutless method, such as Randy Newberg's (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbnp82DWMCE). With a bike trailer, you can get all of the meat from a bear or elk out in one trip.

Give it a try, you may like it. If you spend the year scouting it, you just purchased adventure and recreation for about $4/month.

Offline Elkcollector82

• Work to live, not live to work.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • Hunt hard by laying boot tracks, Not tire tracks
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 05:55:14 AM »
It's worth a shot. Even if you did get an animal down a few miles behind a gate. Them game carts are a back saver. Just gotta pack the animal to the road. I'd give it a try. Specially if it's close to home. Worse thing to come of it is that you spent $50 on a permit. Good luck.

Offline Tacbeav

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 08:09:44 AM »
Definitely worth trying. My experience is on the Weyco St Helens Tree Farm. There are animals to be found not too far in. Go with a plan to get one out on your own, but who knows, once you have it to a road, someone with the vehicle permit might offer to haul it to the gate.

Offline mendozer

• Hunter
  • seattle, wa
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 10:08:47 PM »
well this spot (520) was going to be my backup spot. I was planning on 699 since I have a kayak.  I think I'll get one and like you said explore the area just inside the gates. I'm used to putting mileage on my boots. I'll use m friend google earth to help too

Offline mendozer

• Hunter
  • seattle, wa
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 10:29:04 PM »
I just went ahead and got it for Longview-St Helens. So it's for GMU 520 but also stretches into 550 and 556. I chose this one because 520 offers me any deer plus 3pt/antlerless for elk for early and late season. Options are good.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]