collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: elk rutting already - or was it just hanky panyk at 2 am?  (Read 7726 times)

Offline DeerThug

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
elk rutting already - or was it just hanky panyk at 2 am?
« on: August 13, 2017, 09:36:41 PM »
So i check my cam daily.  Two days ago got a vid of a bull breeding a cow.  no idea if it was just teen agers messing around in the back of the car at 2 am..   Or actually a 'cougar' with her toy (It was a big cow with a monster spike)... but the rut is just a short way away.  If she was receptive she is likely bred.   and if the bull hangs around he is likely dead before too long....

Anyone recorded something like that so early?
Shoot straight Shoot often

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
Re: elk rutting already - or was it just hanky panyk at 2 am?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 09:43:08 PM »
One of my guides heard a bull bugling two days ago in Idaho, we have heard them start firing up about now in past years too.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline kselkhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 09:50:52 PM »
I've heard elk bugling in the night mid-August before on some camping trips.  Sometimes pre-rut starts early.   

Offline DeerThug

• Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 10:01:02 PM »
Other thing i thought of is these are local elk that I dont think migrate so she was not traveling 150 mile from Naches to the high cascades. So in good shape.  And relatively speaking came out of winter well fed and turned the corner up to a month ahead  of others up in the mountains.  And some of the other pics I have got have had some other maturity things

Have a really small spike with like 1 inch horns and is like the size of a small buck.  Other yearling bulls that are huge and a calf that is maybe a couple of weeks old.

Offline Elknut1

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 06:54:38 AM »
You sure the vid shows actual breeding or was the spike doing his best rendition of doing so as he attempted to mount the cow feeling his oats. Very unlikely any breeding action is happening at this time especially by a spike?

ElkNut/Paul

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 06:58:22 AM »
Similar to other bovine type action.  They'll climb on all year, but wont actually breed.  Bulls bugle all year as well, but I bet the cooler weather or big weather- air change probably did get them vocal. 

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 10:28:55 AM »
Similar to other bovine type action.  They'll climb on all year, but wont actually breed.  Bulls bugle all year as well, but I bet the cooler weather or big weather- air change probably did get them vocal.
I was wondering about this too -- if the cold snap would cause pre-rut to kick in.  I know it has ME excited for fall, anyway :)

Offline lord grizzly

• Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 10:39:13 AM »
ive heard bulls bugle in June. I don't think elk have a calendar they just kinda do what they do. this weeks cooling off a bit over here. I wouldn't be surprised to see some pre rut activity. lot of people discredit that time of year but I can tell you early can be pretty dang good. I defiantly don't skip the first weekend over here.

Offline bracer40

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 10:40:36 AM »
Based on everything I've read, air temperature does not trigger rut behavior, but rather the length of daylight. If there have been studies done that conflict, I'd love to see them.
“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 11:06:24 AM »
Elk vocalize all year long but obviously, much more when the rut actually starts as their is more to talk about (particularly the bulls)...;).  I had a bull sing back to me at camp during my mid July scout trip to Idaho.. he was just saying hello.  Ya, I think homer the spike was just going through the motions on something he thinks he's supposed to do.  I seriously doubt if that cow was coming into her estrus cycle this early and if she was, she certainly wouldn't let junior breed her... it doesn't work that way.         
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline elkinrutdrivemenuts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 11:47:59 AM »
July 7th I heard the sweet sounds of a bull bugling at night above my camp.  Heard another one behind my house last week early in the morning.  They vocalize a lot, we just aren't in the woods year round to hear them during the off season.

Offline 2MANY

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2017, 03:33:34 PM »
Elk vocalize all year long but obviously, much more when the rut actually starts as their is more to talk about (particularly the bulls)...;).  I had a bull sing back to me at camp during my mid July scout trip to Idaho.. he was just saying hello.  Ya, I think homer the spike was just going through the motions on something he thinks he's supposed to do.  I seriously doubt if that cow was coming into her estrus cycle this early and if she was, she certainly wouldn't let junior breed her... it doesn't work that way.         

Strange things happen when the Peddler is in camp.

Offline greenhead_killer

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: wsf life member, wsta, mdf, sci, sscf
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2017, 04:34:03 PM »
I've heard them bugle in July multiple times. Also have heard deer grunting in early sept. Just a way of talking I'm thinking

Offline DeerThug

• Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2017, 06:15:09 PM »
Well it looked like a pretty happy ending to me.  At least for the bull anyway.   :chuckle: :IBCOOL:

I had cattle for years and the bull calves would get frisky but this was pretty graphic and to me obvious thus the question. 

And she stood for it too like a cow (bovine) does.

Offline Elkcollector82

• Work to live, not live to work.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Hunt hard by laying boot tracks, Not tire tracks
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2017, 06:27:44 PM »
Was out the other day looking for a bear. Heard a few bugles in the distance. Sounded like a two legged camo wearing bull. If it was a four legged type. He gonna be lonely this September.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal