collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Glock 20 Thoughts?  (Read 12583 times)

Offline Atroxus

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Glock 20 Thoughts?
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2017, 02:16:13 PM »
Awesome feedback guys! Atroxus- you brought up my first major concern was how much fun would it be to shoot and I'm glad to hear your feedback. Good tips from KFhunter on the ammo and the 40 S&W conversion. Nothing worse then owning a pistol you can't afford to shoot!

I forgot to mention, that before I bought my 10mm I went to Wade's in bellevue and rented/test fired all(They did not have very many) of their 10mm handguns including multiple glocks iirc, as well as most of their .45 caliber pistols. I put 3 boxes each of .45 and 10mm downrange before making my decision. They did not have a Delta Elite available as a rental, but test firing all of the other 10mm pistols they did have available as well as most of their .45 caliber pistols was enough for me to decide that I wanted a 10mm in a 1911 style frame, so I went with the Delta Elite and I do not regret the decision at all.

I highly recommend a trip to Wade's to rent some pistols. You may come to a different conclusion than I did, but I think you will be less likely to end up with buyers remorse that way.

Offline doubletall

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2017, 03:34:41 PM »
Of all the pistols and wheel guns I own I believe I shoot my G20 more accurately then the rest.  My hands are on the larger size and its a perfect fit, recoil is a non issue.  Interesting that I saw this thread today; my wife had to drive my father in law to his doctor this morning.  She sent me a text at work saying that he left something at the house for me.  I got home and found a Colt Delta Elite 10mm and 500 rounds.  Can't wait to put some rounds through it.

Offline fish vacuum

• Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2017, 02:28:12 AM »
10mm is a great PNW woods round and the G20 is a great platform for it. It's a pleasure to shoot.

Offline Cab

• Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2017, 08:19:09 AM »
When I was going to post this topic I thought I would get a few positive comments due to the fire arm being a glock and the passion many show for them but I had no idea that almost every single person would endorse the G20. If I was at all nervous about testing one and then buying one that sure has subsided.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2017, 03:42:16 PM »
Still doesn't hurt to test one, but ya - it's a solid platform.

Offline Mongo Hunter

• Longhunter
  • Pew Pew lifestyle
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2017, 12:31:22 PM »
When I was going to post this topic I thought I would get a few positive comments due to the fire arm being a glock and the passion many show for them but I had no idea that almost every single person would endorse the G20. If I was at all nervous about testing one and then buying one that sure has subsided.

Personally I like to shoot my guns a lot so I tend to stick to common calibers. Not that 10mm is uncommon but its defiantly less common than 9mm, 40, 45 ect. I stick with 9mm mostly because its the cheapest full service cartridge to shoot, so I can shoot 2-3 times as much as other people. example would be I love the .357sig BUT the cost and rarity of ammo completely turns me off to the idea of using it.

one thing I'm not sure was asked is this a every day carry gun or just a woods gun?

If you want to carry it every day for concealed I would recommend something smaller and lighter.
Vegetarian: Old Indian word for Bad Hunter.

Offline yorketransport

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2017, 09:10:26 PM »
If the Glocks fit your hands, they're good guns. I've never been impressed by the accuracy of any factory Glock barrel and I'm not a big fan of the Poly rifling, especially if you're shooting heavy for caliber bullets.

Specific to the 10mm in Glocks, I don't like the large unsupported area at the case web in the factory barrels. I had factory ammo from multiple sources fail at the case head on multiple occasions when fired in a stock barrel of both a G20 and G29. I do like the feeding and reliability of the 10mm in the Glocks, which is important for what you want to do with the gun.

I sold both my G20 and G29 and moved to the 1911 platform which fit my hands better and worked better as an everyday carry gun for me. I just shoot the 1911s more accurately than I do a Glock. I had Dan Wesson and Kimber 10mm 1911s and both shot extremely well and fed 100% reliably once broke in.

The Glock definitely wins for price and availability, even if you factory in a replacement barrel. That alone is a pretty good selling point.

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2017, 09:31:24 PM »
I have a g20 g4 hit the shop for a customer today. I have owed more then a couple glocks and shot lots they always go down the road. Just not my cup of tea and have given me more issues then any other pistol brand I have owned.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline HighlandLofts

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: WAC,
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2017, 08:40:16 AM »
I have a g20 g4 hit the shop for a customer today. I have owed more then a couple glocks and shot lots they always go down the road. Just not my cup of tea and have given me more issues then any other pistol brand I have owned.

A few years ago I bought a nice stainless 80 series Colt Combat Commander with very little round count at the Puyallup gun show. Nice gun and I love shooting it.
With the original Colt magazine either the fourth or fifth round the slide would not fully close, I would have to tap the back of the slide to close it. I tried several different types of factory ammo and had same problem.
I bought a Wilson magazine and that eliminated that problem.

So far my Glock 20 hasn't malfunctioned at all, actually none of my glocks had any problems except my 4th gen 17 with reloaded ammo my brother in-law gave me that wouldn't cycle in his Smith & Wesson.    8)
WAC
NRA
Walk Light, Carry A Big Stick, Never Walk Away. - Teddy Roosevelt
Don't Take Your Guns To Town.   Johnny Cash

Offline Bofire

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2017, 09:02:31 AM »
 :) If you want to read one bad story, I witnessed a Glock 21 blow up!! after about a year of argument Glock claimed it was Remingtons fault, and Remington claimed it was Glocks fault. (Remington Golden Sabre ammo). Happened at the Tacoma PD range.
Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline Cab

• Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2017, 09:06:45 AM »

Personally I like to shoot my guns a lot so I tend to stick to common calibers. Not that 10mm is uncommon but its defiantly less common than 9mm, 40, 45 ect. I stick with 9mm mostly because its the cheapest full service cartridge to shoot, so I can shoot 2-3 times as much as other people. example would be I love the .357sig BUT the cost and rarity of ammo completely turns me off to the idea of using it.

one thing I'm not sure was asked is this a every day carry gun or just a woods gun?

If you want to carry it every day for concealed I would recommend something smaller and lighter.

Purely looking for a woods gun. Just something to give me piece of mind in the mountains. I'm a bow guy and can talk to you all day about them (especially old bear recurves) but I knew they're were much more knowledgable individuals on the forum when it came to firearms. I went to Sporting Systems and talked with an employee there(incredibly nice, also a bow hunter and very knowledgable) and the G20 was what he recommended but stressed to me that I certainly should shoot it before buying it.

Offline Bofire

• Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2017, 09:16:45 AM »
 :) If I were shopping Glock 10mm I would look at this.

https://us.glock.com/products/model/g40gen4mos

Longer barrel, better sights.
Carl

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline Cab

• Longhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2017, 10:43:08 AM »
:) If I were shopping Glock 10mm I would look at this.

https://us.glock.com/products/model/g40gen4mos

Longer barrel, better sights.
Carl

I thought about the 40, I'm just worried the size will make it awkward to carry. I certainly don't need it to be compact like the 29 so hence the 20. That said if I get the chase to try the 40 and like it more then I certainly would find a way to work around the size.

Offline Bofire

• Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2017, 02:12:02 PM »
I 'think' the width is the same just  longer, the sights would sell me?? good luck to you, sounds like you are doing the right thing to get a gun you like!!
  glock 20 is 8.22 inchs long                    glock 40    9.49        more than an inch longer!
40 is lighter  31 ounce for 20    28 ounce for   40
length between sights     6.77 vs  8.19     the MOS system is cool for the 40.

the rest is about the same
Carl
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 02:19:08 PM by Bofire »

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline Fshnpole

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2017, 02:18:06 PM »
I went throught this exact dilemma last year.  I was leaning toward the 20 but liked the mos system of the 40.  Ended going with the 40 and a trijicon RMR.  Carried in a kenai chest holster it is extremely comfortable.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 08:16:45 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]