collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Glock 20 Thoughts?  (Read 12588 times)

Offline MHWASH

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
Re: Glock 20 Thoughts?
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2017, 02:55:10 PM »
I have owned both the 20 & 29. I came to the conclusion that to get the most out of the 10mm it's a handload proposition, or buy expensive factory ammo. I loaded a lot hot loads in different aftermarket barrels, and never felt confident in the combination. I ended up buying Buffalo Bore for hunting/protection to solve that issue.

I suggest you go with a 9mm or 45acp. I know they are far behind the 10 in power, but try shooting a 10 in rapid fire like you would in a self defense situation, then try the same with  9 or 45.

Offline Alchase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2017, 09:24:39 PM »
I have owned a few Glocks, they all went "bang" when I needed.
I love the 10 mm, it does take a bit to get use to it, practice makes proficiency, reguardless which caliber you shoot.
Sure a single stack 9mm sub-compact would be easier to conceal, but I have had no problems concealing full size 10mm's, .45's an.40s.
If you buy what you like to shoot, you will never be wrong.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline Scheindogg

• Longhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2017, 09:31:18 PM »
I have owned both the 20 & 29. I came to the conclusion that to get the most out of the 10mm it's a handload proposition, or buy expensive factory ammo. I loaded a lot hot loads in different aftermarket barrels, and never felt confident in the combination. I ended up buying Buffalo Bore for hunting/protection to solve that issue.

I suggest you go with a 9mm or 45acp. I know they are far behind the 10 in power, but try shooting a 10 in rapid fire like you would in a self defense situation, then try the same with  9 or 45.
Are you suggesting a carry gun in 9mm would be suitable for last resort bear defense?

What ammo would you use in said scenario?
Fmj?
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me -Phillipians 4:13

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2017, 09:50:34 PM »

Are you suggesting a carry gun in 9mm would be suitable for last resort bear defense?

Fmj?

Well, this guy used BUFFALO BORE ammo in his 9mm.

Not that I would ever recommend a 9mm, but then I wouldn't want to face an angry bear with any pistol.

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2016/8/10/alaska-outfitter-defends-fishermen-from-raging-grizzly-with-9mm-pistol/

If I did have to face an angry bear with a pistol, the only thing I'd really want is a buddy who was older, fatter and slower than me.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 10:01:14 PM by Dan-o »
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2017, 10:16:08 PM »
 :chuckle: plus if you have a glock "brick" once you jam you can just smash the bear in the head with it roflol
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline Bofire

• Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2017, 10:45:59 PM »
:chuckle: plus if you have a glock "brick" once you jam you can just smash the bear in the head with it roflol

or hit your "older fatter hunting partner" then run!
Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline Scheindogg

• Longhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2017, 10:51:28 PM »

Fmj?

Well, this guy used BUFFALO BORE ammo in his 9mm.

Not that I would ever recommend a 9mm, but then I wouldn't want to face an angry bear with any pistol.

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2016/8/10/alaska-outfitter-defends-fishermen-from-raging-grizzly-with-9mm-pistol/

If I did have to face an angry bear with a pistol, the only thing I'd really want is a buddy who was older, fatter and slower than me.
I apologize I misread I thought he was saying he loaded his 10mm with buffalo bore not a 9mm.
That's a really interesting article thanks for the link!
Now I know if I can't afford the glock 20 I want before hunting season to pick up some buffalo bore hard cast 9mm for my shield and it won't be ideal but it'll be better than nothing!
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me -Phillipians 4:13

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2017, 10:54:08 PM »

or hit your "older fatter hunting partner" then run!
Carl

:chuckle: :tup:

Offline MHWASH

• Sourdough
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2017, 06:01:16 AM »

Fmj?

If a person is really concerned about bear, I think bear spray is the way to go.

If a bear charges, more that likely a person will be in the "spray & pray" mode of shooting. You'll likely get one aimed shot before the bear is in you.

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2017, 05:42:50 PM »
Spray and Pray in bear country means spray your bear spray with your left hand and pray you hit it with your 10mm in your right hand before it hits you.
LOL
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2017, 09:52:52 PM »
I bought a Gen4 G20 from carpsniperg2 a couple years ago.  After shooting a couple other Glocks I found out I'm just not a Glock guy.  I think they are a good weapon at an affordable price but you either like them or you don't and they just aren't for me.  Did a trade deal with a guy today for this little beauty, it's a Sig TACOPS 1911 10mm.

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2017, 10:18:02 PM »
I want it...............
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline Cab

• Longhunter
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2017, 08:40:58 AM »
I bought a Gen4 G20 from carpsniperg2 a couple years ago.  After shooting a couple other Glocks I found out I'm just not a Glock guy.  I think they are a good weapon at an affordable price but you either like them or you don't and they just aren't for me.  Did a trade deal with a guy today for this little beauty, it's a Sig TACOPS 1911 10mm.

This I find interesting for 2 reasons:

1. I have heard the " your a glock guy or not before" seems like its kind of a love hate compared to other brands mostly I'm guessing because their overall designs of their firearms are very very similar throughout their range.
2. The guys that don't care for glocks often prefer 1911 style handguns. I mean 1911 have been popular forever and theres a reason for that...they're fantastic(I've heard even addictive :chuckle:)

Even more reason for me to test it before buying a glock20. although now I am thinking of just carrying bear spray for now and buying a Browning Buckmark for grouse and plinking. That 22 grouse thread was quite persuasive haha.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 08:49:00 AM by Cab »

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2017, 01:09:53 PM »
If you are trying to keep cost down or you just don't want to spend a grand on a new 10mm, there is certainly nothing wrong with Glocks and as 10mm's go, for the money, the G20 is a very good alternative.  Then there are those that really don't like the idea of the 1911's being SAO and I think that group makes a good argument as well. 

Then there is the Sig 220 10mm which is back up there in price but it does put you back into a DA/SA gun and short of it's price point, gives you the best of both worlds. :tup:

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2017, 01:44:42 PM »
Sig makes some dandy 10mm. I have pondered owning one more then once.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87