collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Montana Unlimited Sheep  (Read 13021 times)

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Montana Unlimited Sheep
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2017, 01:08:20 PM »
Ya I just found it too then realized you had pulled it up. Yes rock climbing with a sheep on my back! The sheep was on a cliff in a real nasty spot and it fell off when I shot it and landed on another cliff about half ways between the top and the bottom! Long day but it was super fun and good memories. Wish I was still in that good of shape. I would give you details on the hunt if you want but sounds like success has been zero for last 5 years so I would look at the other unlimited hunts.   

Offline elkinrutdrivemenuts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2017, 02:08:31 PM »
I also listened to the podcast, didn't know about unlimited sheep hunts, and have ZERO desire to try it!

I believe there are 5 units open this year, 300, 303, 500, 501, 502

quota on rams taken per unit
could be over the first day if other hunters tag out before you.
There is a quota, but from what I've read, you have a 48 hour window to legally kill a ram once the quota is met, as if that mattered.

The unlimited sheep tag quota is in place for different reason.  Unit 300 is an extermination hunt in the Tendoy's herd.  They contracted pneumonia similar to issues in Washington, but rather than using paid gunners, they chose to give hunters the opportunity to hunt them to extermination.  I saw a couple of sheep in the unit while the season was open, but it was too late in the season to buy a tag..  Not sure if 303 is the same scenario.  The other units are the historical units from what I recall: gnarly country with large geographic dispersion of the sheep.  I like the concept and I may at some point burn my sheep points to take on this task, but it would take some significant scouting before I committed to burning my points.   Where else can you hunt sheep every year?  You won't get to kill one every year, but you can hunt every year until successful.

That is good to know, are they hoping to eliminate the herd forever or just wipe out the sick ones?  I'll have to chat with the bio and see what the remaining population is and if it's worth it in that unit.

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2017, 03:30:09 PM »
Elkinrut I shot a nice 6 point bull that same year so you don't have to give up your elk season. The unit I was in bordered the park and when season opens you think maybe the national guard just came out. All of the legal rams went to the park or the nastiest hole you could find. I found the nastiest hole in the unit and got my ram 3 were there together 
I already respect you, and knowing you had a successful unlimited area hunt - wow.  BTW, the Sheep Hunting group on Facebook has a lot of good info on the unlimited sheep areas.
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2017, 04:49:04 PM »
I also listened to the podcast, didn't know about unlimited sheep hunts, and have ZERO desire to try it!

There is a quota, but from what I've read, you have a 48 hour window to legally kill a ram once the quota is met, as if that mattered.

The unlimited sheep tag quota is in place for different reason.  Unit 300 is an extermination hunt in the Tendoy's herd.  They contracted pneumonia similar to issues in Washington, but rather than using paid gunners, they chose to give hunters the opportunity to hunt them to extermination.  I saw a couple of sheep in the unit while the season was open, but it was too late in the season to buy a tag..  Not sure if 303 is the same scenario.  The other units are the historical units from what I recall: gnarly country with large geographic dispersion of the sheep.  I like the concept and I may at some point burn my sheep points to take on this task, but it would take some significant scouting before I committed to burning my points.   Where else can you hunt sheep every year?  You won't get to kill one every year, but you can hunt every year until successful.

That is good to know, are they hoping to eliminate the herd forever or just wipe out the sick ones?  I'll have to chat with the bio and see what the remaining population is and if it's worth it in that unit.

the goal is to completely eliminate the herd. The tendoy unit I think is 315? 300 Is one of the long time unlimited- I was looking on Montana fish & game and they said there were 12 sheep left in 2016   

Offline whacker1

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2017, 08:37:57 PM »

Once the herd is wiped out, they intend to transplant new herd to the area.  They are trying to eradicate pneumonia and have to take all infected specimen

Offline whacker1

• Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2017, 08:47:45 PM »
Here is the picture of the tendoy mountains. 

Offline Britt-dog

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2017, 08:51:30 PM »
I have heard stories about solo hunters being harassed/hasseled by locals and guides in the unlimiteds. is there any truth to those stories?

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2017, 09:49:33 AM »
Elkinrut I shot a nice 6 point bull that same year so you don't have to give up your elk season. The unit I was in bordered the park and when season opens you think maybe the national guard just came out. All of the legal rams went to the park or the nastiest hole you could find. I found the nastiest hole in the unit and got my ram 3 were there together 
I already respect you, and knowing you had a successful unlimited area hunt - wow.  BTW, the Sheep Hunting group on Facebook has a lot of good info on the unlimited sheep areas.

:tup:

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2017, 09:52:11 AM »
I have heard stories about solo hunters being harassed/hasseled by locals and guides in the unlimiteds. is there any truth to those stories?

I never had anyone mess with me but it was a long time ago maybe things have changed.But I also have not heard of anyone else being hassled either.

Offline elkinrutdrivemenuts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2017, 10:02:29 AM »

So that's where the herd has pnuemonia?  On the map it seems to be a good distance to the nearest 300, but I am new to sheep and maybe they have a bug range.

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2017, 10:22:43 AM »

So that's where the herd has pnuemonia?  On the map it seems to be a good distance to the nearest 300, but I am new to sheep and maybe they have a bug range.

that is unit 315 tendoy mountains south of Dillon if I remember right. THat elimination hunt has nothing to do with the other 300 unlimited hunts 

Offline whacker1

• Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2017, 11:43:35 AM »

that is unit 315 tendoy mountains south of Dillon if I remember right. THat elimination hunt has nothing to do with the other 300 unlimited hunts

OK Idaho Guy, I may be off track, but I want to confirm, so please set me straight if I am off base.  I have the Tendoy in unit 300 west of Lima & South of Big Sheep Creek.

315 is East of 89

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2017, 11:55:46 AM »
no problem whacker those units are right but they are for deer,elk,antelope hunting. The sheep units are different from those

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2017, 01:20:54 PM »
I think this is my two years from now plan if it's still offered then. Don't think I'll be able to scout but for a few days before the opener but just to actually sheep hunt!!!

Offline JLS

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Support the LWCF!
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2017, 01:25:34 PM »
The unlimited sheep units are an interesting creature.  Some of them are a scout early, sit on your ram until opening day type venture.  The Spanish Peaks was like this, although that unit has since closed because of disease outbreaks.

The units north of the park, in particular the upper Stillwater and Slough Creek is a different type of hunt.  Here, your challenge is simply finding the sheep.  It's vast and rugged country and the rams don't necessarily lay around above timberline.  They will and do drop down into the timber.  Your pack out in this area may be 20 miles.  There are lots of grizzlies.  It may snow a foot or two during your hunt.  It is not for the faint of heart, but would be an experience you won't forget.
Matthew 7:13-14

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 06:50:06 PM]

Holster for FNS 40C by bb76
[Today at 06:37:56 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by Ridgeratt
[Today at 06:34:07 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by Karl Blanchard
[Today at 06:20:52 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by bearpaw