collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What not to do  (Read 4614 times)

Offline optic2

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • Groups: 2AF, FPC, GOA, BHA, RMEF
What not to do
« on: August 16, 2017, 10:22:03 PM »
I'm a new hunter and will doing the high hunt next month. I've read through quite a bit of this sub-forum and have seen comments about how some hunters screw things up for others by bumbling around or setting up their camp in bad spots and many other things. I'm new and I have a lot to learn, so tell me what not to do. What type of area is bad to set up camp? If I see other hunters how do I not screw things up for them? And anything else you think I should know.

Offline Duckslayer89

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Re: What not to do
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 10:36:03 PM »
I wouldn't worry about it man. Tons of hikers and stuff on the high hunt. Just don't shoot at rocks under people like a few guys in blue jeans did with me two years back. Packed in by an outfitter in the alpine lakes. Try to find a ridge off the trail to hike down get a ways off the trail.

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 07:00:26 AM »
Don't worry about it and just have fun!  Most of the fun of doing a high hunt is just the experience of getting somewhere that few people get to enjoy. 

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 12:16:41 PM »
What you shouldn't do is avoid doing things that people on web forums complain about.  THEY COMPLAIN ABOUT EVERYTHING.  :chuckle:

Just use your common sense, remembering that you have every bit as much right to the land as anyone else.

Also:

Just don't shoot at rocks under people
:yike:

Offline Shawn Ryan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Snoozing in elk country.
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 12:27:16 AM »
Tough to answer in the abstract. But, when you encounter other hunters try to figure out what their hunt is, where they are headed, and avoid them. If you talk with them,  know that plenty of hunters won't be honest about what they've seen and where they are going.  They don't want to give you any advantage.

I'll encourage you to be different and share what your plan is. That way you have done your best to not negatively impact their hunt. I have surprised many hunters by giving details of what I've seen and where I've seen it. Sometimes their response is to reciprocate. Sometimes not. I've made more friends and acquaintances in the wilderness through that one change in my behavior than from anything else I've done. In return, I have guys I see most years near the same places who know my name, share information, and are just generally friendlier with me than before I made that change. (Maybe they are friendly because they just want the information I'll share and never reciprocate, but I don't care.)

If someone killed an elk because I told them where I saw a herd that morning, all the better. I've yet to find that the information I've given has spoiled a hunt for me.

Offline bracer40

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 05:41:59 AM »
Tough to answer in the abstract. But, when you encounter other hunters try to figure out what their hunt is, where they are headed, and avoid them. If you talk with them,  know that plenty of hunters won't be honest about what they've seen and where they are going.  They don't want to give you any advantage.

I'll encourage you to be different and share what your plan is. That way you have done your best to not negatively impact their hunt. I have surprised many hunters by giving details of what I've seen and where I've seen it. Sometimes their response is to reciprocate. Sometimes not. I've made more friends and acquaintances in the wilderness through that one change in my behavior than from anything else I've done. In return, I have guys I see most years near the same places who know my name, share information, and are just generally friendlier with me than before I made that change. (Maybe they are friendly because they just want the information I'll share and never reciprocate, but I don't care.)

If someone killed an elk because I told them where I saw a herd that morning, all the better. I've yet to find that the information I've given has spoiled a hunt for me.

Shawn Ryan, you have my respect and admiration for this philosophy.
“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 10:11:03 AM »

:yeah:

Offline SilkOnTheDrySide

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 07:55:16 AM »

He's such a better person then me 😂😂😂 I struggle telling people what regional area I hunt! 😂

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline fillthefreezer

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • @adventure_sd
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 09:14:56 AM »
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

great post shawn!
and come on travis, you know youve been completely transparent with plans and gotten pissy when someone was super vague

Offline lord grizzly

• Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 09:18:11 AM »

I've always been the same way in the woods. if I bump into a guy 6 miles in its pretty apparent he already knows the areas worth being in at the least. I've shared campfires and trail cam pictures.  I always let guys know the direction/area ill be in and ask what way there going so we can each have our space. most of the time its reciprocated, once in a while a guy acts/looks like I just asked what his deepest darkest secret is. apparently it doesn't dawn on him that im already in there so I already know his secret. now this is my philosophy in the woods, not an open forum. I have this year turned at least 3 maybe 4 forum members on here to spots for there hunts in Idaho, most of which are new to the state or coming over for the first time on a draw tag.

my spots are so good I can give away some and still not worry about bumping into guys up there  :tung:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]