collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Chinook pass closed FYI  (Read 28554 times)

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Re: Chinook pass closed FYI
« Reply #105 on: September 06, 2017, 09:06:55 AM »
Logging is important and this burn is demonstrating what happens when you greatly reduce it in areas. That said logging practices need to improve. I have noticed a big difference between logging in the 80's and now. Seems some of the logging companies only want to do the minimum to get the maximum. That to me is bad stewardship.

Factor in that they halt in some cases and charge for access in others and I can see why they are so easy to hate. When the got those lands for a song and a dance maintaining public access was one of the few restrictions they had to do.

This is a much bigger problem than logging or not. It is a government cesspool problem. More government agencies more problems that can't get addressed properly.

Climbing off soapbox now.

It's frustrating to say the least

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just wondering: are you implying that we should log Wilderness areas??

Offline BDildine

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
    • https://www.facebook.com/brian.dildine
  • Groups: TSC,, NRA Life, RMEF, PF
« Reply #106 on: September 06, 2017, 09:54:15 AM »
Updated this morning: (huge increase in acreage since last survey)
#NorsePeakFire Update
Wednesday, September 6, 2017 – Morning Update

Date Started: Aug. 11, 2017
Cause:  Lightning
Total acres:  44,799
Containment: 8% 
Structures Damaged/Destroyed: 0
Injuries to date: 0
Total Personnel: 341
Fire Resources: 6 crews, 22 engines, 2 helicopters, 3 bulldozers, 7 water tenders

FIRE SUMMARY

New infrared imagery shows a substantial increase in acreage for both the Norse Peak and American fires. The Norse Peak Fire crossed the Pacific Crest Trail on Monday and entered the Crystal Mountain area while the American Fire crossed Kettle Creek to its east. No data has been available since then but new numbers show a total of 44,799 acres – up from 17,418 on Sept. 3.

Mt. Baker Snoqualmie personnel engaged the western edge of the Norse Peak Fire southwest of the Greenwater Trailhead and Greenwater Fire Department personnel completed plumbing and installing sprinklers in the Gold Hill Community. Evacuations (listed below) remain in place for much of the Crystal Mountain area. Residents not under evacuation order are asked to remain aware of the fire conditions and monitor incident social media channels and local media outlets. Concerned residents should prepare now in case they are asked to leave.

NORSE PEAK FIRE (43,482 acres): Crews completed work along the 462 Road in the fire’s southwest corner for use as a holding line and will continue work along State Route 410 to the south and southeast. One quarter-acre spot fire south of 410 was detected, contained and mopped up.

The western edge of the Norse Peak Fire continues to threaten structures in several communities in Pierce County and crews are working to get containment.

AMERICAN FIRE (1,320 acres): The fire crossed the American Ridge yesterday and is slowly backing down toward Bumping Lake. Crews were able to establish hose lays and install sprinklers in the Bumping Lake area and will continue efforts today.

CLOSURES: State Route 410 will remain closed from State Route 123 to mile post 89 near Bumping River Road through Saturday. No closures along 123. There is no access to the cabins along 410 west of Bumping River Road or to the facilities along Bumping River Road or at Bumping Lake.

The 1900 Road is closed as are Little Naches and Kaner Flat campgrounds and the Little Naches cabins. 

Crystal Mountain Boulevard is closed.

The Pacific Crest Trail is closed from Chinook Pass to Snoqualmie Pass.

The latest Forest Closure Order for the Okanogan-Wenatchee National Fire is in place for the fire area and complete details can be found at https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/okawen/alerts-notices.

The latest Forest Closure Order for Mt. Baker Snoqualmie National Forest is in place and can be found at https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/mbs/alerts-notices.

The White River entrance to Mt. Rainier National Park is closed. Updates for the park can be found at https://www.nps.gov/mora/index.htm.

EVACUATIONS: In Yakima County, there is a Level 3 Evacuation Order for Goose Prairie along Bumping River Road.
In Pierce County, a Level 3 evacuation has been ordered for the Silver Springs Campground, Silver Creek, Deep Creek, Joke Creek, Alta Community, Pick Handle Basin, Goat Creek, Gold Hill Community and the Crystal Mountain Ski Resort area.

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #107 on: September 06, 2017, 10:28:19 AM »
Man I feel for you permit holders.

One the flip side lots of good habitat is being made.
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #108 on: September 06, 2017, 10:30:11 AM »
So can I drive to cayuse pass from 410, and head to white pass? The below statement is confusing.

white River entrance to Mt. Rainier National Park is closed. Updates for the park can be found at https://www.nps.gov/mora/index.htm.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #109 on: September 06, 2017, 10:43:34 AM »
So can I drive to cayuse pass from 410, and head to white pass? The below statement is confusing.

white River entrance to Mt. Rainier National Park is closed. Updates for the park can be found at https://www.nps.gov/mora/index.htm.
I think you can take Cayuse Pass to White Pass if you're coming from Enumclaw, yes.  But I haven't been up there to confirm and the fire is very active in that area so it may change from hour to hour. 

Online Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #110 on: September 06, 2017, 10:44:25 AM »

Highway 410 from Enumclaw to Cayuse Pass is currently. Highway 123 from Cayuse Pass to highway 12 is currently open.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #111 on: September 06, 2017, 11:02:32 AM »
Bob, I'm assuming you meant to say currently open?  Thanks guys.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #112 on: September 06, 2017, 11:27:27 AM »

Highway 410 from Enumclaw to Cayuse Pass is currently. Highway 123 from Cayuse Pass to highway 12 is currently open.

There are/were detour signs all over the place on 410 on Sunday to utilize 123 to White Pass to get over the mountains.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline dreamingbig

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #113 on: September 06, 2017, 11:27:36 AM »
It was open on Sunday when we came home.  I found the white river entrance closure reference odd too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
Chinook pass closed FYI
« Reply #114 on: September 06, 2017, 11:28:31 AM »

Chinook pass is currently closed.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline jmscon

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
  • RMEF BHA TRCP
« Reply #115 on: September 06, 2017, 11:32:14 AM »
The crosshatched perimeter in this is at 20k acres but the hots spots are current as of this morning. The other spots towards the top are near Blewett Pass, sawmill ridge fire, I think it's called.
My interpretation of the rules are open to interpretation.
Once I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend

Online Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #117 on: September 06, 2017, 11:51:32 AM »

Chinook pass is currently closed.

Chinook Pass is closed. It does suggest that you can still drive over Cayuse Pass on 410.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline BeerBugler

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #118 on: September 06, 2017, 12:00:30 PM »
The crosshatched perimeter in this is at 20k acres but the hots spots are current as of this morning. The other spots towards the top are near Blewett Pass, sawmill ridge fire, I think it's called.

Fire at the top of picture looks like the headwaters of the grean@blowout mountain

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #119 on: September 06, 2017, 12:07:47 PM »

Fire at the top of picture looks like the headwaters of the grean@blowout mountain

North end of Sawmill ridge towards lester
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]