collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Snohomish/Skykomish pinks?  (Read 5646 times)

Online CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
Re: Snohomish/Skykomish pinks?
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2017, 08:55:53 AM »
We fished last night just to kill some time, 2 fish in the box, lost one at the net and another shortly after hookup, Dick Nites were the ticket. 4-5' leader, 1/2 oz cannon ball on an 8" dropper, super slow retrieve. One of our fish was while trolling. If you haven't tried it in the snoho, I would strongly suggest trying it. Same set up as casting them, just throw it out behind the boat and troll the tide water. A lot of times this will hands down out produce anchoring and casting jigs or Dick Nites, plus the bite on the troll is way more fun IMO. Good luck guys!

I'll have to give this a try.  Do you troll into or with the current?

Depends on how hard the current is pushing. On an incoming I usually try to go against the current as it doesn't push as hard as the outgoing does, but don't be affraid to turn around and troll with the tide. On the outgoing I troll against it for the first hour or so, basically until I quit gaining ground, then will switch and go downstream. If I feel like I'm going too fast I will anchor up and cast at that point. The most important part is your speed to water, you only want to be moving enough to get the Dick Nite to wiggle. It is usually, at least on boats I have fished, only an idle on the kicker motor.

Thanks.  I've always done better on the incoming, so I'll try that. 

Offline WSU

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2017, 09:24:19 AM »
Anyone motor up the snoho, anchor up and plunk?

I've done it in the snoho and the sky.  Works great.  Spin and glow tipped with shrimp.  Plunked or on a diver.  If it gets really good, I may take my kids up and let them catch a bunch of slimy humpies!

Nice...ive got an 18 ft north river with a prop. Think i can get far enough up?

I don't know the river well enough to give advice on this.  Both sand shrimp and store bought prawns work well though.

Offline J.Brower

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2017, 09:52:19 AM »
Anyone motor up the snoho, anchor up and plunk?

I've done it in the snoho and the sky.  Works great.  Spin and glow tipped with shrimp.  Plunked or on a diver.  If it gets really good, I may take my kids up and let them catch a bunch of slimy humpies!

We have caught plenty of fish over the years boat plunking in the tide water below hiway 9 bridge on the outgoing. Caught them on both on Dick Nites, and sand shrimp.  :tup: :tup:

Nice...ive got an 18 ft north river with a prop. Think i can get far enough up?

Offline WSU

• Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2017, 10:06:28 AM »
Another thing I do is fish a float/jig with shrimp while anchored up.  It whoops 'em too.

Offline NW-GSP

• Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2017, 01:32:41 PM »
I fished the snohomish this morning, no luck

Offline Buckewe

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Scout
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2017, 02:00:56 PM »
Use small 1/8 the ounce jigs in any color. It always works and is super fun on trout gear.
Blacktail lives matter

Offline Whitenuckles

• Transplanted Cajun
  • Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2017, 06:06:25 PM »
I've been out 5 times. Got 4 limits and nothing one day. Been slow, but the tide change has been the ticket.
GEAUX TIGERS

Offline Ebell

• Hunter
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2017, 01:58:25 PM »
Went out this morning. Put the boat in at the new Snohomish launch off of Lincoln.  Hooked quite a few pinks, landed  a few. During the outgoing tide things really heated up. Jigged pink squids. Caught and released a king jack as well. The launch was a mess though when it was time to pull out.

Offline J.Brower

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2017, 07:13:52 AM »
Fished again Sunday morning, killed 9 and lost 5 or 6 in 3 hours. Quite a few of them came on the Dick Nites again with the rest on jigs. We had good schools moving through the whole time, with about 20 minutes as the longest without a bite. A guy came up river wake boarding through the packs of boats, had the Sheriffs pay him a visit. After they finished with him and he headed back toward everett he managed to swamp a guy in a 12'er (ended up in the water). Let the Sheriffs know and they went back after him. Hoping they gave him a 2nd ticket!

Online CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2017, 07:58:07 AM »
I went by the Lowell boat launch yesterday, the parking lot was full and rigs were parked up and down the road for at least a mile each direction.  The park ranger was passing out citations as fast as he could write.  The river was packed with anything and everything that would float.  Anglers on the bank wherever they could find access.  Quite the circus.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2017, 08:43:24 AM »
I went by the Lowell boat launch yesterday, the parking lot was full and rigs were parked up and down the road for at least a mile each direction.  The park ranger was passing out citations as fast as he could write.  The river was packed with anything and everything that would float.  Anglers on the bank wherever they could find access.  Quite the circus.

Awwwww the sounds and sights of humpy season. Have to love it.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal