collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Newbie questions  (Read 3347 times)

Offline Bigbadweston

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
    • Nathan opie
Newbie questions
« on: August 20, 2017, 11:09:27 PM »
Hey all,

So here are a couple questions for a newbie to Washington and elk hunting.

First, are the private forest management properties available to the public for hinting? And are they worth it over state public ground?

Second, I'm thinking of trying GMU 460, specifically Snoquaie National Forest, or GMU 654 Elbe Hills State forest or Hancock forest mgmt (if accessible). I live in Kent so I'm trying go to the closest place that would be good for a new guy to cut his teeth on. I'm from the hills and hollers of KY but these hills around here are just slightly bigger (lots of sarcasm) than what I'm used to;-) so any suggestions or experience with either of these two places would be appreciated.

Lastly, if a GMU is not listed on the general elk season dates for archery, rifle, or muzzleloader then is it correct to say you need to be drawn a special permit for those GMU's. And therefore as long as I can find property whether public or private to hunt on (except for elk areas) that ARE listed in the general elk season dates then I don't need a special permit for. Is that almost correct? (I've got to be missing small details)

Thanks all good luck this season.

Offline Elkcollector82

• Work to live, not live to work.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • Hunt hard by laying boot tracks, Not tire tracks
Re: Newbie questions
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 04:19:11 AM »
 West side is tricky. Most timber companies require a permit to access their land. But their still some out there that let you acccess it walk in only. Right now most are closed for fire danger. You would have to call the timber company and find out specific info. Hancock is $375 for their permit in gmu 654,

You are correct. If the gmu number isn't listed in the general archery, muzzy or rifle. It is a draw unit for elk. No special permit required to hunt general season elk in the listed gmu. Only permit required is ones from the timber company's.

Also Hancock has a drawing for their elk hunt. So even if you bought the permit. You would still not be allowed to hunt elk on their land.  :bash:

Offline Nwtrekker23

• Tracker
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 05:50:34 AM »
What are you hunting? Archery, modern, muzzle? First year hunting?

Offline ASienkiewich

• Hunter
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 06:23:06 PM »
Hancock has already drawn for elk permits anyways. And Elbe hills is pretty much a joke for hunting (Just my 2 cents). Never hunted GMU 460 though, maybe someone else has some input on that unit. Best of luck to you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bigbadweston

• Pilgrim
    • Nathan opie
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 10:26:08 PM »
First year in Washington. Been hunting since Papaw could first teach me to shoot a 20 gauge slug gun in Ky. In Ky I could buy a deer tag and hunt any weapon any season until I filled the tag. I was hoping to hunt elk and mule deer and in a perfect world with a bow. I just found out I have to pick my weapon and the side to hunt. The guy at the counter had tell me that 3 or 4 times before I finally believed him and accepted it as true. He said if I had multi-season permit it would be like Ky but I'm a few months late on that deadline. So I haven't decided. I would have loved archery but I don't think I'll have scouted enough until the season starts. So I'm going to wait until I've found a decent spot and have some confidence in the area. At least since I'm stationed here by the Air Force my cost of a tag will be a little easier to swallow if I don't fill it.

Offline Bigbadweston

• Pilgrim
    • Nathan opie
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 10:29:17 PM »
Thanks for the info on the logging companies and Elbe guys.

Offline optic2

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
  • Groups: 2AF, FPC, GOA, BHA, RMEF
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 12:10:26 AM »
First year in Washington. Been hunting since Papaw could first teach me to shoot a 20 gauge slug gun in Ky. In Ky I could buy a deer tag and hunt any weapon any season until I filled the tag. I was hoping to hunt elk and mule deer and in a perfect world with a bow. I just found out I have to pick my weapon and the side to hunt. The guy at the counter had tell me that 3 or 4 times before I finally believed him and accepted it as true. He said if I had multi-season permit it would be like Ky but I'm a few months late on that deadline. So I haven't decided. I would have loved archery but I don't think I'll have scouted enough until the season starts. So I'm going to wait until I've found a decent spot and have some confidence in the area. At least since I'm stationed here by the Air Force my cost of a tag will be a little easier to swallow if I don't fill it.

You can pick one right now and you can change it right up until the day before the season begins. At least that is one employee from WDFW told me. Sometimes you get different answers from different people.

Offline Elkcollector82

• Work to live, not live to work.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Hunt hard by laying boot tracks, Not tire tracks
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 03:20:25 AM »
I would put some boots on the ground and do some scouting. Find an area that has sign and stick with it. Picking a season. I would pick one that would give you more opportunity in the woods. If you can only hunt 3 days in archery season but can hunt 7 in modern or muzzy. Well I would take muzzy over modern. I sent you some pm's and I'll send you some more. You have the right mind set and are trying to get as much info as you can. Washington game laws are tricky. So don't hesitate to ask a question if you can't find the answer on here.

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 10:33:45 AM »

From a fellow southerner transplant, welcome to WA!  I moved here from Birmingham a couple years ago and love it more than I can tell you.  It was a little mindblowing for me too that you have to pick your weapon before the season. 

I'd say your plan of attack is right on.  Figure out an area that you can reasonably access, SCOUT as much as you can (both online and on foot), then develop your strategy around that. 

That said, I wouldn't overlook the east side.  There are LOADS of areas off Hwy 12 and 410 that would be within reasonable reach of your location.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]