collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Inexpensive camo gear  (Read 7205 times)

Offline longstevo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Inexpensive camo gear
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2017, 06:14:04 PM »
I look back at Dad and his hunting group's old kill photos and it seems like they're all wearing red and green plaid wool shirts in the 70's and 80's. 

Hunting skills and luck are more important that how expensive your camo is. 
If you don't stand behind the troops, please feel free to stand in front of us.

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2017, 10:07:54 AM »
I like to wear camo when calling critters, especially when calling big cats.  Even then, hands and face are the critical areas.  We've called plenty of critters without camo but IMO camo helps when calling animals more focused on sight than scent.  I haven't hunted ducks since high school and have never hunted turkeys though have called quite a few to see how they respond, none of those while wearing camo.  If the camo is cheap, it sure doesn't hurt anything and each of us will choose to spend on different priorities.

I killed lots of turkeys and a few archery deer and elk in my poor student days wearing a yellow on green John Deere ball cap and a $10 Walmart brown buffalo plaid quilted shirt.  x10 though, if you are a paleface, a bandana, facemask, camo paint or even charcoal to darken and dull your face, and some kind of dark/dull gloves.  Not moving when the animal is looking is worth far more than camo, however they do seem to zone in on exposed skin.  Also, a cap with a brim is a must for me, and keep the brim low so you are looking at the animals just below the line of the brim - eyes are something else they key on. 

Here's a blast from the past when I had more stamina than $  :chuckle:
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2017, 10:57:27 AM »
FishNFur;
I take offense to that statement!
Being a former Kelso High School Grad, I have found that a hickory shirt and a pair of Lee Loggers were always in style.
Particularly in Cowlitz County!
You sir owe an apology to the entire hard working population of western Washington.

Yeah FishNfur, like all 10 or 15 of them.

Joking aside, you could easily go with some solid earth tone clothes and use a magnum sharpie on them to break up the outline. Look at ASAT as an example, it's not all that complicated of a pattern but it is effective.

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Loser's Lounge - Lifetime Member
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2017, 11:07:31 AM »
IMHO camo is less important than performance.  I like being dry and comfortable as well as quiet, all while blending in with surrounding colors and breaking up my outline.
The more comfortable I am the longer I can stay out and focus on the hunt.  Getting cold and wet can shorten the day. 
I look for performance type gear on clearance, or in the bargain cave, second hand, sales, etc.

Offline wapiti hunter2

• Frontiersman
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2017, 11:12:49 AM »
If you're hunting archery camo is probably more important. Elk hunting the rut is different, because no matter what they aren't expecting a human. You can get away with wearing almost whatever, as long as you don't get winded. THAT is the most important.  They've been called in and are looking for a cow, so just don't wear light tan  8) :o

Archery deer is different. September can be super hot, December can be freezing. As a rule I buy my pants a couple waist sizes too big so oh can throw sweats, long johns, etc under there. There are some REALLY nice hunting clothes that will keep you toasty, but there are far more cost efficient ways of keeping warm. December snowstorms are great times to hunt deer, as are freak rainstorms. You'll need to be prepared for a variety of weather no matter what.

:yeah:

You haven't said what you are hunting. Modern rifle, you really don't need any. It is just a fashion statement. And there are orange requirements. If you are archery or muzzle loader, it is more important. No black except as under layers.

Offline boneill

• Tracker
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2017, 03:07:53 PM »
IMHO camo is less important than performance.  I like being dry and comfortable as well as quiet, all while blending in with surrounding colors and breaking up my outline.
The more comfortable I am the longer I can stay out and focus on the hunt.  Getting cold and wet can shorten the day. 
I look for performance type gear on clearance, or in the bargain cave, second hand, sales, etc.

Cotton is rotton, avoid it at all costs.

A lot of this will depend on your style of hunting. I prefer to cover ground and get pretty deep, so I appreciate the benefits of higher quality clothing. However, if you're staying near roads or trails and you're not doing big hikes every day, you'll be fine getting some basic synthetic hunting gear (I agree, camo is overrated, but I also own a ton of it)

Do you happen to work in the outdoor industry at all? If so, consider applying at Experticity for pro form. Deeeep discounts. I agree with everyone that says Merino wool is the best...if you can find some cheap GET IT. Even if it's not a natural color, you can use it as a base or mid layer and have camo over that.

I hunted for years in cheap cotton or poly clothing. You can do it, no doubt, but you definitely will get what you pay for in quality gear. You don't need to go all in, either, maybe just get a good merino base layer this season, and then skimp on some of the other gear. Next year, add another piece or two.

:twocents:

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2017, 03:16:43 PM »
little bit late for this season, but keep an eye on Camofire.com  They get closeout pricing on gear and if you know what to look for you can find a decent deal.  I geared up last year with them  lot of Core4element gear and I got it all for 50% of normal price and worked over free shipping deals too.  I haven't noticed as good deals this year, but still worth keeping eye on.

Offline Pegasus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2017, 03:39:54 PM »
Camo is a marketing game and most of us bought into it. When I was young(a hundred years ago) we hunted in blue jeans and a red plaid hunting jacket if we were lucky. Camo is way overrated. Your biggest risks in destroying your stalk are scent and movement. Most stalking busts occur when you are winded,  the animal spots your movement or you make some noise. Never make direct eye contact while an animal is surveying you. I definitely noticed a difference in stalking once the requirement for hunter orange came into effect. Everyone claims the deer can't see the color but they definitely see a difference in light reflected in my experience.

Offline andr3wxmma

• Hunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2017, 05:11:40 PM »
Having camo is not as important as many people let on.  You can do just fine wearing tans, greens, plaid ect.. Wear quiet gear that you are comfortable in.
I like being able to hide from hunters once i get to my spot.  :twocents:

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2017, 05:42:14 PM »
If it hasn't already been said, go to an army surplus.  Government issued fleece is bad azz, and the BDU pants are bullet proof!  Not water proof at all but great for dry weather.  Jacket and pants are very durable and camo.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Loser's Lounge - Lifetime Member
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2017, 05:51:34 PM »
little bit late for this season, but keep an eye on Camofire.com  They get closeout pricing on gear and if you know what to look for you can find a decent deal.  I geared up last year with them  lot of Core4element gear and I got it all for 50% of normal price and worked over free shipping deals too.  I haven't noticed as good deals this year, but still worth keeping eye on.

Camofire is a great. The Black Ovis merino they've had on lately is really good stuff. Ive hunted hit and cold weather in it and was really comfortable. Good discounts lately if they have your size.

Offline bracer40

• Sourdough
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2017, 07:21:30 PM »
If it hasn't already been said, go to an army surplus.  Government issued fleece is bad azz, and the BDU pants are bullet proof!  Not water proof at all but great for dry weather.  Jacket and pants are very durable and camo.

“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

Offline Greg Mullins

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Scout
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2017, 08:44:41 PM »
I shot my elk last year in Levi's and a blue T-Shirt. After that I put my camo on and took pics. Don't laugh at me I'm sure you have done it to😃

Offline Tinmaniac

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2017, 09:34:03 PM »
Fleece and wool for me.My son wears my old fleece jacket I boight in 1988.That old coat has seen a lot of blood!

Offline jmscon

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
  • RMEF BHA TRCP
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2017, 10:52:21 PM »

Just picked up a used, but in great condition, pair of pants for $30 at Ed's in Lynwood!
My interpretation of the rules are open to interpretation.
Once I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]