collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New Blacktail restrictions coming for Minot Peak GMU 660  (Read 13256 times)

Offline Rainstorm Hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
New Blacktail restrictions coming for Minot Peak GMU 660
« on: August 21, 2017, 07:48:46 PM »
Recieved a letter from WDFW today with a survey regarding Blacktail hunting in GMU 660..... it talked about "Trophy Blacktail" hunting being a priotity for the unit, and that fish and game wants to double the number of 4 point and better bucks harvested from the unit in the next 3 years. The survey asked which of the following options would be most acceptable and least acceptable. One option was to end the early buck season for rifle hunters 4 days early, another 7 days early. They also are considering making the unit a 3 point or better unit for general season. They also discussed making it a spike or 2 point only unit and making anything bigger by "Permit Only". As well as mentioning the possibility of making extended buck a permit only hunt. I'm about sick and tired of this stuff. As a local, there is a couple places to actually hunt in the area that you don't have to buy a weyco permit to hunt, and now they want to do this??  I wrote a strong letter of opposition and hope some of my fellow hunters do the same..... sounds like there may be a public meeting coming up next month on the issue  :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash:
Have a good day.....

Offline youngbull

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
Re: New Blacktail restrictions coming for Minot Peak GMU 660
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 08:06:01 PM »
I argued with the state biologist about this at the hunting expo. I cant see that producing any more trophies than normal in any unit. Limiting access will only help people who dont give a rip about their objectives.  I beleive most areas produce decent bucks if you put some time in.

Offline Rainstorm Hunter

• Hunter
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 08:16:06 PM »
I argued with the state biologist about this at the hunting expo. I cant see that producing any more trophies than normal in any unit. Limiting access will only help people who dont give a rip about their objectives.  I beleive most areas produce decent bucks if you put some time in.
Precisely, all that new restrictions will do is reduce trophy buck harvest. The last week of october, and extended buck is when the big boys get stupid. Take that away and your chance of harvesting them goes down drastically. Not impossible but greatly reduced. I'd just really like to talk to the biologist who has come up with this and see who is pushing for this??

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 08:32:28 PM »
 :yeah:....... seems odd to single that unit out.

Offline JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 08:52:14 PM »
Where is the 660 at ? I'm personally a blacktail junky I don't hunt any other deer ! I would " IF" anything would like it to become a pick either Eastside or westside for deer . No minimum on antler just east or west
The woods get pounded the last week when it's closed on the east side . That's the only change that I think would help our blacktail because then in my belief a lot of the younger bucks survive another year
My :twocents: Jakeland

Offline steeleywhopper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 09:49:37 PM »
Par for the course, limit harvest of deer just like they have abolished the harvest of steelhead in the North Sound rivers.  No fishing from a boat in area 8-1, 8-2, and 9, would not be surprised if they say no hunting with bullets next.
Politicians like Jay Inslee are the reason we have the 2nd Amendment

Offline Eric M

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 03:19:53 AM »
Are they just basing this on the harvest reports? Seems like it's just a guess by them what's there and what isn't. 1st guy-More spikes get killed here than other size deer. Other guy- Should we make it spike only? 3rd guy-maybe only allow 3 point or better to be killed? 4th guy (managerial type)- We have to do something! Hunter- Maybe we don't look for trophies and we are only shooting meat bucks. Oh wait no one was listening. :dunno:
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 04:28:32 AM by Eric M »

Offline BigGoonTuna

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 04:29:57 AM »
i bet it's an idea floated by timber interests to increase permit sales, if i'm not mistaken that area is almost entirely locked up in the weyco twin harbors south unit?
you can still get gas in heaven, and a drink in kingdom come,
in the meantime, i'll be cleaning my gun

Offline Rainstorm Hunter

• Hunter
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 05:00:52 AM »
i bet it's an idea floated by timber interests to increase permit sales, if i'm not mistaken that area is almost entirely locked up in the weyco twin harbors south unit?
You would be correct

Offline SeatoSummit88

• Scout
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 08:40:05 AM »
Thanks for the share Rainstorm!  That's nuts! I hunt that unit and pay (like a lot of other hunters) a lot of freakin' money to get a Weyco Pass. I lived around that area for about 5 years and usually it seemed that there were only the select few lucky enough to get a "trophy 4 point".  They should understand that not only are there 600 permit holders, but also two surrounding units that hold the same size bucks.  It is very true that there are larger bucks everywhere; however with the large amount of pressure that unit and the couple surrounding get; it seems to be a spike and fork horn unit more so!  When I use to live down in Westport, the logging road gates were open constantly which lead to positive and negative outcomes.  It allowed ethical hunters to get out and scout more often outside the seasons; however it allowed unethical hunters to spotlight, harvest game at night and outside of general seasons.  If I pretend in my mind that they are looking to increase the BT population around that area and get hunters the ability to harvest bigger bucks, then I can see positive future. But then again, I open my eyes and see dollar bills falling off the reprod saplings all over the place. It would be nice to harvest "manageable bucks"; but then again we aren't in Kansas anymore Dorthy; and there isn't an Alfalfa field to our left, a Corn field to our right, a draw with maple trees thick as mud, acorns on the ground; and a perfect ground blind that has no hunters around the area.    WDFW, just give us sportsman something to look forward to!
If I'm not selling, I should be hunting, If I'm not hunting, I should quit!

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2017, 08:47:51 AM »
660 isn't known for having lots of big bucks or even decent buck numbers.  It does better with elk.

Offline SeatoSummit88

• Scout
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2017, 09:25:51 AM »
I agree PolarBear,

I saw a couple of does and a 2 point off the main highway, but heard a bull once out there on Saturday.
If I'm not selling, I should be hunting, If I'm not hunting, I should quit!

Offline WSU

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2017, 09:26:37 AM »
I wonder if harvest of mature bucks is even a problem that needs addressing?  It seems to me that blacktails are hard enough to kill that escapement likely isn't a problem anyway.

Offline DRobnsn

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2017, 10:40:19 AM »
I haven't been to 660 in a few years but doesn't it have a fair amount of timber that is close to being harvest able? Sure would suck to put in for a permit for a "trophy" area just to have them log the whole thing on you.

Offline pope

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2017, 05:59:40 PM »
Where is the 660 at ? I'm personally a blacktail junky I don't hunt any other deer ! I would " IF" anything would like it to become a pick either Eastside or westside for deer . No minimum on antler just east or west
The woods get pounded the last week when it's closed on the east side . That's the only change that I think would help our blacktail because then in my belief a lot of the younger bucks survive another year
My :twocents: Jakeland

I would support this. Choose east or west for deer, just like elk. I suspect this would be incredibly unpopular. Fewer restrictions on predator hunting would help blacktail populations more than antler restrictions.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]