collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Thick Cover Blacktail Tips  (Read 3887 times)

Offline brokentrail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Scout
Re: Thick Cover Blacktail Tips
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2019, 06:32:50 PM »
Thanks again for the replies. I thought about sitting and waiting but there really isn't a vantage point as the terrain is so flat. Might try to walk the game trails as slowly and quietly as I can. Happy to have found some decent sign though at least.

Is a tree stand or a tree saddle an option here?  I know most folks don't use them for blacktails but I have had success using them when the situation dictates.

Offline kschab123

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2019, 07:09:39 PM »
Yes, I think a stand would work. I don't have any experience using one, but I have thought about it for sure. Might consider giving it a go.

Offline captpschar

• Tracker
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2019, 10:12:57 PM »
Thanks again for the replies. I thought about sitting and waiting but there really isn't a vantage point as the terrain is so flat. Might try to walk the game trails as slowly and quietly as I can. Happy to have found some decent sign though at least.

I’m new to this too, but I seem to have a talent for still hunting (snuck up on a few deer this season), and if you’re going to walk game trails, you will find deer if you move slowly enough and keep the wind, and I mean so slowly, two to four of the sneakiest quietest steps you can muster and then stop and look around slowly and carefully before you go again. 

You’ll find that deer will walk right past you, walk right towards you, you’ll see them bedded, if you’re slow and quiet enough and your camo is good (cover your face and hands too)  and you have the wind they won’t even notice you until they’re maybe 40 yards or closer, and if you statue up they’ll ignore you. It’s really difficult for the first 100 yards but you get into a meditative flow state after a while and you stop caring about moving fast, especially once you’ve seen a deer or two.

People will say deer or bucks don’t move around during the day, maybe not as much, but they do.  They’re in the timber just being magically silent and knocking about away from all the trucks and people.

Offline wooltie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2019, 07:00:54 AM »
Someone on this forum said that the purpose of still hunting is not to sneak up on deer but instead to be in an area and have deer come to you. Not that you couldn't sneak up on deer, but quietly moving through the woods in hopes of being there when a deer comes walking through to you makes a lot of sense to me.

I've hunted the timber for black tails for years with no success. I just think I've been doing it all wrong. You really have to sit there and not move; it ain't elk hunting. And if you do move then you just take a step, then wait for 5-10 minutes. Take a step, wait.

Eventually you'd think some deers well move through over, so I think the idea is you spent eight hours slowly going through a small chunk of area and hopes of being there already when they move through.

Being quiet is next to impossible if you're moving.

Kind of makes me want to just switch to archery if I'm going to hunt timber. Longer season fewer people. You're already taking a close shot in the timber anyway.

Offline kschab123

• Tracker
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2019, 05:49:56 PM »
That makes sense. The timber is impossible to.move through there. The undergrowth is too thick. But would be possible in the reprod if I take my time. I like the idea of that approach. I know they are there. Fresh scat and rubs. Wondering about making a shot though with a scope at such close range, thinking iron sights might be better. I dunno.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2019, 09:14:19 PM »
Here's my take, and I'm not saying it's right, I just think it is:

If you're hunting reprod that you cannot see into at all, it is too thick and you need to move on to a younger cut.  Sure there's fresh sign there, but there's fresh sign in many places in the woods.  If you can't see anything, how are you going to find a deer there?

Find a cut that has Christmas tree size trees, maybe a bit bigger, up to 12 - 15 ft tall,  but that still have some space between the trees.  If you find a spot like this that has a hill/ridge above it where you can sit and see down into the reprod , or something like a draw in the middle of reprod, where you can sit on one side and look into the reprod on the other side, and see in between the trees, you're in business.  Note: if the trees are not big enough to hide deer during the daylight hours, they will often only use it at night, or perhaps just cross it to go where their brain is directing them to go.  Hide as best you can and stay still while you hunt.

Sit on your butt where you can view at least 5 or so acres pretty clearly, and keep your binoculars in your hands and to your eyes 90% of the time.  Slowly pick the area apart looking for little pieces of deer parts.  You will likely not see a whole deer until they stand, but if you spend the time in a target rich environment, you may find bedded deer sitting just under or just above stumps, trees, ledges, rocks, etc.    When a deer suddenly stands up, you will wonder where the hell it came from, because you had just looked there a minute ago and not seen anything.  After 20 - 30 minutes, take a five minute break.  After 10 hours, if you didn't see any deer, then find a new spot.   :chuckle: 

If you see fresh rubs, then it is alwyas worthwhile trying to hide close by and down wind 30 - 50 yards or so and rattling/grunting etc.  You know a buck is working the territory, so the finding the deer part is solved,  All you have to do is get him to show himself. 

Good luck,  Get out there and kill something!

“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline slowhand

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • Seahawk fan for life
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2019, 09:30:40 PM »
Good stuff
I love the blacktail challenge
Eating up all the tips.
Seahawks
Hunting
Fishing
In That order

Offline captpschar

• Tracker
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2019, 10:28:47 PM »
That makes sense. The timber is impossible to.move through there. The undergrowth is too thick. But would be possible in the reprod if I take my time. I like the idea of that approach. I know they are there. Fresh scat and rubs. Wondering about making a shot though with a scope at such close range, thinking iron sights might be better. I dunno.

Bucks, from what I understand, will tend to pick spots like that to bed down for the day, especially during hunting season.  As the others have suggested, a sit and wait strategy might be the only option if you intend to hunt that spot.  I've heard it said that with study and thorough scouting around the outskirts of areas like that that you can find the pathways that the buck or bucks are using to get in and out.  From what I've seen these pathways aren't obvious, they tend to be low and the openings very concealed and thin, but they're there, the deer are really good at moving in brush but they don't plow through it, there are paths in there somewhere.  You might be able to locate one and use it to get in if the wind is right, or do a pre-sunrise or near sunset stand across one of those pathways, that might get you a shot.

I would just leave that little brush fort alone and accept that any bucks who decided to bed in there just have their act together and get to fight another day, and move on to greener pastures to try to locate a spot that you might be able to make your way into more easily.

On the scope, for still-hunting blacktails in the timber, you're not going to see them past 100 yards, usually it'll be within 50, so maybe set your scope to its lowest magnification and leave it there.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2019, 05:14:58 AM »
This weather makes for tough hunting even if its not thick timber
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline kschab123

• Tracker
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2019, 12:01:13 PM »
Thanks again for the tips guys. Some good info for sure. Yeah maybe looking elsewhwere might be a good idea. If I can make time before late buck to scout for something with a little more elevation variations I will give that a go.

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2019, 02:48:36 PM »
I had good luck looking for their bedding areas. Blacktail are home bodies with a core area. Look for areas where the sun can come through the thick surrounding area, and glass looking for ear flicks. Hard if there is wind, but effective.
Like others have said, do not sit on a trail, but about 25-50 yards back in the cover. Same with clearcutts. Hunt the tree line about 25 yards in from the cuts. Look for natural finger ridges that you can hike up. They are more common that most people realize.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2019, 06:51:21 PM »
 :yeah:  Good advice there.  Every place has it's own unique situational elements that affect how the deer use the area.  Getting to know a spot well is invaluable, though it may take years to learn the secrets.

Thanks again for the tips guys. Some good info for sure. Yeah maybe looking elsewhwere might be a good idea. If I can make time before late buck to scout for something with a little more elevation variations I will give that a go.

I think you're on the right track.  Flat land BT hunting is very hard, because you can't guess how or where the bucks will go.  It is likely determined more by wind direction than anything else.  A spot with just a little bit of slope, even 30 - 40 feet in an otherwise flat area gives you a distinct advantage in being able to predict where the deer are bedded or where they will come from to feed.  Almost all BT bed above the area where they feed.  It is instinct.  If there is a hill close by, they will bed on the side of it and come down to feed in the evening.  They often go back up at dawn but they may also stay down in lower beds till mid-day.  The old mature bucks do what they do, but if you find a doe in heat, those bucks will come in to play too.
Good luck!
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal