collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Low profile elk camp?  (Read 4060 times)

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Low profile elk camp?
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2017, 09:31:25 AM »
Depends on how you define "close". Hopefully my map comes through so you can see how close they can be sometimes. It's a map of where a friend has an outfitter camp setup. The camp can have anywhere up to about 8 hunters, 3-4 guides, camp cook, and 10+ head of stock in the corral any given day in during the archery season on through till the end of the rifle season. I've personally sat on the wallow while hearing mules bray in the corral and had elk come into it. It's by no means a low profile camp and by my definition a 15-20 minute hike (you don't go straight up the canyon) definitely qualifies as close. I know a few other spots I can do the exact same thing, have a nice camp and be into elk within 15 minutes of easy walking at any given point during the season.

Offline Elknut1

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2017, 10:06:07 AM »
Elk can be wanderers especially cows & calves, there's nothing preventing them to come to close to your camp & taking the whole group with them! I would feel more comfortable at being a 1/4 mile away or more. No need to send them off vacating the area because I wanted to be close! I also would not restrict food wants because of being so close. You can still hear them over a 1/2 mile away so no real issues there. Keep a safe distance & you'll be much happier all the way around!

ElkNut/Paul

Offline dreamingbig

• Frontiersman
Low profile elk camp?
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2017, 10:11:17 AM »
Camp comfort can affect people's attitudes too if they aren't prepared to deal with a little "suck" especially if they are used to a certain level of comfort.  Something to be mindful of before heading out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 11:27:00 AM by dreamingbig »
@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline Doublelunger

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2017, 11:18:16 AM »
Elk can be wanderers especially cows & calves, there's nothing preventing them to come to close to your camp & taking the whole group with them! I would feel more comfortable at being a 1/4 mile away or more. No need to send them off vacating the area because I wanted to be close! I also would not restrict food wants because of being so close. You can still hear them over a 1/2 mile away so no real issues there. Keep a safe distance & you'll be much happier all the way around!

ElkNut/Paul

Camp will be around a mile from where we're really going to start hunting.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 11:26:50 AM by Doublelunger »

Offline Doublelunger

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2017, 11:19:39 AM »
Depends on how you define "close". Hopefully my map comes through so you can see how close they can be sometimes. It's a map of where a friend has an outfitter camp setup. The camp can have anywhere up to about 8 hunters, 3-4 guides, camp cook, and 10+ head of stock in the corral any given day in during the archery season on through till the end of the rifle season. I've personally sat on the wallow while hearing mules bray in the corral and had elk come into it. It's by no means a low profile camp and by my definition a 15-20 minute hike (you don't go straight up the canyon) definitely qualifies as close. I know a few other spots I can do the exact same thing, have a nice camp and be into elk within 15 minutes of easy walking at any given point during the season.

thanks leo, we wont have nearly that big of an operation, just 3 guys.

Offline Doublelunger

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2017, 11:26:11 AM »
It'll be three guys. My brother-in-law, father-in-law, and myself.  We've hunted together plenty and spent time in the back country together. We have never hunted the backcountry together.  We all get along really well and I'm sure we'll all meet in the middle on what we need.  No maybes when it comes to alcohol though, crown royal will be abundant!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 11:39:13 AM by Doublelunger »

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2017, 11:40:29 AM »

Camp will be around a mile from where we're really going to start hunting.
Then take advantage of using stock and live comfortably.

Offline Greg Mullins

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Scout
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2017, 09:36:33 PM »
I sleep in a hammock 10 feet off the ground eat MREs no fire no lights and have never got one. On the happy side fresh out of work driving a garbage truck no shower no scent spray speed stick ocean breeze deodorant no camo went out and walked up on one at 30 yards It was a spike but he worked for me

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]