collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: High buck legality question  (Read 8857 times)

Offline builtfordtough

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
Re: High buck legality question
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2017, 02:56:19 PM »
Hunt inside the boundaries and shoot inside the boundaries... enough said!!!

Offline teanawayslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2017, 04:12:04 PM »

Hunt inside the boundaries and shoot inside the boundaries... enough said!!!
:yeah:
Happiness is being in the woods!!!

Offline runamuk

• Explorer
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2017, 06:48:43 PM »
Like many legal situations there is the letter of the law, and the intent of the law. Because of that, officer discretion and the totality of circumstances will often play a significant role in the outcome.

Example 1: a hunter is 20 feet outside the wilderness area but there is no defined boundary to readily determine that. He shoots an animal that is clearly inside the wilderness from just outside the boundary.

Example 2: a hunter sneaks 100 yards inside a posted national park boundary to stalk an animal in a legal area. He shoots the animal from inside the national park.

Both hunters shot animals that were inside legal areas, but both shot from closed areas. Which one is more likely to be cited for hunting in a closed area?
The one who gets caught :dunno:

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2017, 06:59:17 PM »
I know this will look like a silly unlikely senerio, but I sometimes hunt places this could be a very realistic encounter.........

So if a person is just out of the wilderness area and a buck is in the legal wilderness area would it be legal to take the shot? I have looked through the regs and didn't see anything that addressed this. And no offense to anybody, I'm not looking for guess's or opinions. Just facts on if that would be legal or not.
No brainer,not legal.If you need to ask if you can shoot from a closed area into an open area to harvest animals you should not be in the woods with a gun.That's a fact.

Wrong.

His question is completely legitimate. (notice the varied opinion?)

Also notice that others are at least trying to be helpful.    You should give that a try........   or you don't belong in the woods with a gun.   And that IS a fact.
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline mfswallace

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2017, 07:58:13 PM »
It's very simple-- do the right thing!
If your not in a legal hunting area don't pull the trigger, if the animal you are trying to harvest isn't in a legal area don't pull the trigger. IMO

99% know Reichert killed a bull illegally but the 1% will point to the courts decision as a way to justify the illegal kill....wasting time arguing with anyone who tries to defend this question just brings you down to their level when it should show you their questionable morals... again this is just my Op

http://scottberkun.com/essays/40-why-smart-people-defend-bad-ideas/
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 08:17:43 PM by mfswallace »

Offline DaveMonti

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2017, 09:46:52 PM »
cboom,

I have to say I don't know the answer to your question.  I will also adhere to your request to not give you an option or speculation.  So it's pretty simple.

I don't know. 

That wasn't so hard now, was it? 

I understand your frustration with those who have a hard time comprehending your question!

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2017, 10:02:34 PM »
I don't think anyone had a problem with comprehending the question. It's just that when you post a question on an online forum, you're going to get opinions, no matter what. It's kind of silly to say you don't want opinions. If that's the case, don't ask the question.

Offline teanawayslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2017, 10:14:26 PM »
I emailed wdfw and asked them your hypothetical question. Then you can have the answer to your grey area question.
Happiness is being in the woods!!!

Offline winshooter88

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2017, 10:22:55 PM »
I posed this question to a game enforcement officer that I know when I talked to him today, He said that he would cite you for hunting in a closed area, as both the hunter and the big game animal he/she is hunting must be in the legal area for that hunt. I know this isn't quoting a specific law but it is quoting one of the people who must make the call.

Offline Tinmaniac

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2017, 11:25:49 PM »
I know this will look like a silly unlikely senerio, but I sometimes hunt places this could be a very realistic encounter.........

So if a person is just out of the wilderness area and a buck is in the legal wilderness area would it be legal to take the shot? I have looked through the regs and didn't see anything that addressed this. And no offense to anybody, I'm not looking for guess's or opinions. Just facts on if that would be legal or not.
No brainer,not legal.If you need to ask if you can shoot from a closed area into an open area to harvest animals you should not be in the woods with a gun.That's a fact.

Wrong.

His question is completely legitimate. (notice the varied opinion?)

Also notice that others are at least trying to be helpful.    You should give that a try........   or you don't belong in the woods with a gun.   And that IS a fact.
I gave solid advice to the OP.The regs are very clear about no hunting in closed areas.Shooting from a closed area is hunting in a closed area.No different than setting up a stand in the national park and shooting into an open area.No worries aboit me in the woods with a gun for reasons like this.If I see someone shooting animals out of a closed area I will turn them in.Poachers hurt us all.

Offline mfswallace

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2017, 07:54:18 AM »
It's very simple-- do the right thing!
If your not in a legal hunting area don't pull the trigger, if the animal you are trying to harvest isn't in a legal area don't pull the trigger. IMO

99% know Reichert killed a bull illegally but the 1% will point to the courts decision as a way to justify the illegal kill....wasting time arguing with anyone who tries to defend this question just brings you down to their level when it should show you their questionable morals... again this is just my Op

http://scottberkun.com/essays/40-why-smart-people-defend-bad-ideas/

Offline cboom

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Permanently Banned!
« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2017, 10:42:18 AM »
I don't think anyone had a problem with comprehending the question. It's just that when you post a question on an online forum, you're going to get opinions, no matter what. It's kind of silly to say you don't want opinions. If that's the case, don't ask the question.

I get that. But at times people on forums are to quick to give opinions and others use those options that may have been completely wrong.  Not saying that is the case on this subject. On many types of questions opinions are the only thing that can be offered.  But on legal issues I would think comments should be more factual than opinions.

Offline cboom

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Permanently Banned!
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2017, 10:46:04 AM »
I emailed wdfw and asked them your hypothetical question. Then you can have the answer to your grey area question.

Looking forward to hearing the response.  And it may not be a grey area at all? I  was just asking if anyone knew if this was addressed in the law because I didn't know if it had been. I haven't done what I  asked about,  nor would I unless I  knew for a fact it was legal.

Offline cboom

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Permanently Banned!
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2017, 10:49:03 AM »
I posed this question to a game enforcement officer that I know when I talked to him today, He said that he would cite you for hunting in a closed area, as both the hunter and the big game animal he/she is hunting must be in the legal area for that hunt. I know this isn't quoting a specific law but it is quoting one of the people who must make the call.

Thanks! That is very good information!

Offline mfswallace

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2017, 03:56:15 PM »

Thanks! That is very good information!

:DOH: 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]