collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Which rangefinder do you use?  (Read 15018 times)

Offline Elknut1

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
Re: Which rangefinder do you use?
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2017, 08:41:18 AM »
dscubame, I understand your question & it's a legitimate one! I am a Vortex Dealer & have been for 9 years, I also bought a Swaro 80 HD Spotter & I own 10x42 Swarovision binos. I compare them & use them at times. Of course those are another subject! Just saying I'm not Vortex or nothing!

I sadly agree that with so much Pro Staff B/S out there these days it's tough to know who & what is legit & what's not! This is a big reason I buy these certain items so I can make my own comparisons. At 62 I'm not interested in lying to folks, I like to see products stand on their own merits. This is what I did with the Sig unit, it does not stand up to what the actual hype is, at least not in the two units I had! How many more will it take to find that one that does? It shouldn't be that way.

I'm serious about sending a trustworthy guy this one I still have, it's 2 months old, he will see what I see! Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul

Offline Thenewguy

• Longhunter
  • Not the newest new guy
« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2017, 08:43:57 AM »
Huntnphool is trustworthy

Offline dscubame

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2017, 08:45:35 AM »
Thanks Paul and I meant it when I said I trust you.  Thanks for not taking our conversation as negative and I believe we are on the same page.
Dialogue on forums can be difficult at best sometimes and was a pleasure with you.
It's a TIKKA thing..., you may not understand.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Offline OLYTAX

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
« Reply #63 on: October 03, 2017, 08:48:54 AM »
LEICA GEOVIDS 10 X 40, best thing since sliced bread

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2017, 01:38:08 PM »
Being a died in the wool Leopold scope guy, I went with their RX-600 range finder.  Bad idea.  After just 2 full seasons, the battery case cover just disintegrated on me.  Leica will be my next purchase.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline dan11011

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Hunter
« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2017, 02:09:48 PM »
Own a Leica Rangefinder. Love it.

Offline idahohuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2017, 03:08:06 PM »
I've had a couple leupolds...never get close to their advertised range even in ideal conditions.  I have their RX TBR 1200 model and if I can pick up a 6-700 yard reading its extremely rare.  In hunting conditions it seems sometimes difficult to get 400 or 500 yard readings.  I was so disgusted it with it after my last elk hunt when I got home I found a guy selling an old leica 1200...that thing is awesome!  While it doesn't have the angle corrections, it actually works at long distances (1000+) in less than perfect conditions!
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline jdb

• the illustious potentate
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #67 on: November 21, 2017, 07:35:19 PM »
Leupold or Leica.  Had great luck with Leupold.  Wouldn't touch anything Vortex.
Why the ban on Vortex?
Every single person that I personally know has had issues with their Vortex stuff wether it is a scope, binocs or range finder. It is a good thing that their warranty is so great because you will more than likely need it. There is a reason that you see a lot of Vortex stuff for sale on this site and many others.
as usual I agree
nuke the gray whales for jesus!

Offline fillthefreezer

• Sourdough
  • @adventure_sd
« Reply #68 on: November 21, 2017, 07:46:27 PM »
sig kilo 2000. been very happy with it until my last trip in extreme cold it had trouble ranging. could have been the snow, couldn't verify.
had leupold rx1000?i before that, was very serviceable as an archery unit, lacked much for rifle.

Offline Naches Sportsman

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #69 on: November 21, 2017, 07:47:27 PM »
Leupold or Leica.  Had great luck with Leupold.  Wouldn't touch anything Vortex.
Why the ban on Vortex?
Every single person that I personally know has had issues with their Vortex stuff wether it is a scope, binocs or range finder. It is a good thing that their warranty is so great because you will more than likely need it. There is a reason that you see a lot of Vortex stuff for sale on this site and many others.
as usual I agree
Agree x2.

As soon as I can afford it, I am switching over to another brand of binoculars. Had to send a pair of binos in 5 times in 3 years before they replaced them. My other pair fell apart after 3 years of use everyday and a going to send them in for a new pair. Don't own any vortex rifle scopes or range finders and never will. A buddy is selling a pair of Leica binos and is going to give me a hell of a deal on them. Binoculars first then a step up in range finders will follow. I bought a Leupold rx 850i TBR off of a member and love it.

Offline GurrCentral

• Scout
  • Groups: GurrCentral
« Reply #70 on: November 21, 2017, 08:17:28 PM »
Any reviews on the Vortex Ranger 1500?

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #71 on: November 21, 2017, 08:25:32 PM »
One more day left on the Cabelas sale for the Sig Kilo 2200 $349 (regular is $499).  My furthest so far with the Sig 2200 has been 1849 yards.

Offline spoonman

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #72 on: November 21, 2017, 08:39:55 PM »
I use the Leupold 1200i, not happy at all though. It does  not consistently give range reading and next to never ranges anything after 600 yards.

Offline tlbradford

• Frontiersman
« Reply #73 on: November 22, 2017, 10:21:39 AM »
Leupold RX3 is what I have used for the past 11 years.  I didn't need anything crazy and it was my first rangefinder, so I purchased second hand because they were there in front of me.  I use it for bowhunting and turkey hunting, mostly, so for that it works just fine.  When I am calling bears I will range some distances at the start of the stand to different landmarks.  On a good surface it can range out to 800 in clear weather.  Good surface and rain 400 yards.  Poor surface - 400-500 yards with some coaxing (multiple punches on the button), Poor surface and rain 200-400 yards, or I am looking for a better surface.  This is all hand held.

I do like the compact size, clear optics, reticle, ballistic comp, and battery life.  It has also been very durable and immune to horrible weather. 

I am pretty old school though with my hunting.  I know the ballistics of my rifle, and don't dial in ranges.  I don't shoot anything further than 400 yards with a rifle (unless I am lobbing bullets at a running coyote), and I bowhunt with a longbow so I can eyeball up to 40 yards pretty easily.  I do stretch my barrel turkey hunting so it's nice to know how far out my field of fire is.  My brother in law had Leica Geovids and those seemed to work on everything you pointed them at.  So take this review for the :twocents: it's worth.
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #74 on: November 22, 2017, 10:42:21 AM »
One more day left on the Cabelas sale for the Sig Kilo 2200 $349 (regular is $499).  My furthest so far with the Sig 2200 has been 1849 yards.

:yeah:
tough to beat at that price !!!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]