collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Salmon Farming Discussion  (Read 4525 times)

Offline Thefishguy77

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Re: Salmon Farming Discussion
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2017, 04:57:10 PM »
The best thing we can do for our salmon is not hatcheries or banning farmed fish. It's getting rid of dams. Seriously that's why we have so many hatcheries. They wanted to build a dam and the deal was build a hatchery.  Under perfect conditions it worked ok. Just ok. But with funding cuts the hatcheries aren't running full time or at full capacity when they are running. Now we have fish coming in to spawn and they can't get to their native spawning ground because there is a wall in the way.

I am not a leftist hippy tree hugger either. However the fact remains that when we put all these dams in we had almost zero knowledge of the actual requirement for a healthy fish population. Mistakes have been made and now it's everybody point the finger at a current event and see if that works.

The cowlitz is a prime example. 2 bug dams along highway 12 and then it's ok because they truck the fish up to packwood to their native spawning grounds. Just the fry going back down river kills a very large number of them due to over oxygenation going through the dams.

Hydro power is cool to say and Green at a fish level when done at water falls. But not very good when dams in rivers provide it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2017, 10:50:35 PM »
I'd just like to take the time and maybe provide a little extra information for people who find this Atlantic Farm Salmon topic, interesting/frustrating/educating. I have been involved with "the fishing industry" for around 12-14 years now.  I studied Fish and Wildlife Management at Montana State University (one of the best biology/widlife programs impo.) After my years at MSU, I fell into the world of Commercial Fishing. I spent around 6 years working in different operations from Mexico, all the way up to Alaska.  After being exposed to a variety of fisheries, I landed a great gig as an assistant manager in a seafood department for one of WA's top grocery chains; after spending a couple years there I received an offer to work in the broker/trading world; and a couple years later, I am currently the West Coast Sales Manager for the nation's largest Shrimp and Crab importer. 

Seafood is a crazy game; there is so much going on; it seems impossible to keep track of.  Currently, the US only uses 10% of "available seafood" within the boundaries of our greater nation. That means that around 90% is imported from around other countries.  We see so much product in grocery stores, fish markets and restaurants that is local or from the US, we forget how big the industry is.  Salmon Farming was originally presented to the state Alaska, as an ideal industry for additional income and the added selling points of it coming from the "pristine icy waters"; hoping to lure more tourists to its land.  After the state dismissed the idea, British Columbia took it upon themselves to expand and try to pollinate this idea.  Currently, BC is one of the largest Salmon Farming producers in the world.  Chile and Norway also have their hands in the game.  For sportsman world wide, the idea of a penned salmon means nothing to them; if anything it's a nuisance and disruptive to the native species.  There are important factors to remember though.  When an aquaculture facility decides to plant their roots and develop a facility for a species to be raised, you are looking at, at least 3 years before the plan is actually implemented. FDA and USDA regulations are so strict that unless a facility can meet the standard for exporting the fish out of the country; they will not processed, due to the fact that money will be lost and product will be wasted.  When we are talking about farmed raised fish, it is important to note that not all plants use food pellets, which contain antibiotics in them; in addition, a lot of plants are looking to the future and becoming aware of not using animal bi products in their feed.  Most operations find the hardest part of raising a fish to be the rearing stage; this time frame occurs after they are fry and before they become marketable adults. When antibiotics are given and fish/shrimp die; it is more likely that the species itself had a degenerative disease, rather than the actual antibiotic or feed causing the issue. Leading to the fact that strong/healthy fish are the ones making it through a full cycle and large enough for market.  The main point I am reaching to is, the regulations which are carried out in both US operations and outer country operations are so strict, that it is improper to point out that these fish are causing native species to not return and be impacted by them.  For years, we have had pens in the sound and in BC waters, with no major kill off on our native fish. Salmon are a species that know a few things:  To eat, swim the easiest path and spawn.  That is what they were born for, and that that is what will keep happening.  It would be nice to say that counter balancing Commercial Fishing and Farm Raising will return levels back to normal; but that is unlikely. As mentioned previously; farmed raised species are found on our plates everyday.  Poultry, Beef, Pork; these are all commonly found animals which are raised for food; if they were not injected with antibiotics, more than likely we would be eating unhealthy species and probably getting sick all the time.  The heavy swinging fist that gets thrown at farm raised seafood is unfortunate; it is marketable and is needed to help not only countries provide more income, but to be sure wild fisheries are not depleted.  When we are specifically talking about Cooke's pen that broke, it's important to note that the company went to the surrounding area and tossed food into the water, finding large groups still together and right near the pen.  They then were able to vacuum them into a tank and bring them back to the facility.  Do I think that companies should be careful on making sure structurally they are sound? Yes!  Do I think that they are bad for the environment and will shut down native species, no!  If you do not like farmed fish, eat wild!  If you need to save money and want to consume the needed protein, buy farmed and save yourself some money.  There is a path for everyone out there!

Thanks!

Isn't it true that farmed fish are not allowed to be given antibiotics unless there is a specific need unlike other farmed animals like chicken, pigs, and cows.animals?

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2017, 08:23:32 AM »
 :yeah:
And, I believe like livestock there is a withdrawal period between treatment and slaughter to allow the vaccine to safely work its way out of the treated animal/fish.

Offline SeatoSummit88

• Scout
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2017, 08:53:52 AM »
Loki- Typically it depends on the species.  Most fish and shellfish run the chance getting "sick" or carrying a disease when retained within the confines of a pen/net/pond/tank etc etc. Usually during the rearing stages, aquaculture operators can tell what is needed and what is not to keep a healthy stock.  Usually the closer the fish gets to marketable size, it's more so fattened up, and not as much of a focus on enhancing/adding antibiotics.   I can't say I know the process for livestock.  That's why we hunt for meat right?  haha
If I'm not selling, I should be hunting, If I'm not hunting, I should quit!

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2017, 09:59:09 AM »
Loki- Typically it depends on the species.  Most fish and shellfish run the chance getting "sick" or carrying a disease when retained within the confines of a pen/net/pond/tank etc etc. Usually during the rearing stages, aquaculture operators can tell what is needed and what is not to keep a healthy stock.  Usually the closer the fish gets to marketable size, it's more so fattened up, and not as much of a focus on enhancing/adding antibiotics.   I can't say I know the process for livestock.  That's why we hunt for meat right?  haha

Yup, one visit to a factory meat operation and the average guy can learn all he needs to know in about 10 minutes.

Offline SeatoSummit88

• Scout
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2017, 11:59:36 AM »
Singleshot:

I have sent three emails/pms your way, havent heard back yet? I got your initial and hit reply.  have you not been getting them????
If I'm not selling, I should be hunting, If I'm not hunting, I should quit!

Offline bearmanric

• RIP Colockumelk
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
  • Tenino Wa
    • Rick Robbins  rrcalls
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2017, 03:16:35 PM »
Quinalts got on today on the Quinalt. Rick
RIP Colockumelk
Facebook rrcalls no website.