collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Broke down and bought a Savage  (Read 4173 times)

Offline cboom

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Permanently Banned!
Broke down and bought a Savage
« on: August 31, 2017, 02:17:44 PM »
Never been a fan of Savage until I had this guy in my hands. Had to give it a try. Its a model 112 in 338 Lapua. Anybody else have one of these? If so how they shoot, and what loads have worked well? Looking forward to the scope getting here and getting some loads put together!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 02:26:54 PM by cboom »

Offline PlateauNDN

• Y.A.R. Medicine Man
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
  • R.I.P. Colockumelk 20130423. Semper Fi!
Re: Broke down and bought a Savage
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 02:32:13 PM »
I was a skeptic when I was younger as EVERYBODY said savage are cheap, poor man's guns and you're not a true hunter if you shoot savage. BUT, my best shooters have been savages. I've had a .308, 7mm & .270 and never had issues with them. I've only shot factory loads but they've held very tight groups and they really liked the expensive ammo. :chuckle: 

Best of luck and it looks like a sweet rifle.
If you can read thank a teacher, If you can read in English thank a Marine! 
Not as Lean, Just as Mean, Still a Marine!
He who shed blood with me shall forever be my brother!

"Around this camp, there's only one Chief; the rest are Indians!"

"Give me 15 more minutes, I was dreaming of Beavers!"

Offline cboom

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Permanently Banned!
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 02:36:49 PM »
I was a skeptic when I was younger as EVERYBODY said savage are cheap, poor man's guns and you're not a true hunter if you shoot savage. BUT, my best shooters have been savages. I've had a .308, 7mm & .270 and never had issues with them. I've only shot factory loads but they've held very tight groups and they really liked the expensive ammo. :chuckle: 

Best of luck and it looks like a sweet rifle.

Well it won't get fed cheap ammo. With the 338 lapua it seems there is expensive ammo, and really expensive ammo! I bought a couple hundred rounds of Lapua brass and a box of 285 gr Hornady eldm to play with first.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 03:00:54 PM »
Looks like a fun project. I bet that gun will shoot.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 03:03:00 PM »
Beautiful gun....you won't be dissapointed.   I have owned probably a dozen savages and they have all shot great.   :tup:

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 03:14:48 PM »
Looks awesome.  What scope did you get for it?

I have a Savage 16 in 7mm-08 that shoots factory ammo very well (maybe one day I'll dive into the reloading world and see what it can really do).  Enjoy!

Offline cboom

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Permanently Banned!
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 03:30:52 PM »
Looks awesome.  What scope did you get for it?

I have a Savage 16 in 7mm-08 that shoots factory ammo very well (maybe one day I'll dive into the reloading world and see what it can really do).  Enjoy!

Have a Leupold vx-3i lrp 5-20x50 coming. Didn't want to break the bank on it...........

Offline quadrafire

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 04:27:45 PM »
I had one very similar in .223. It shot great, but was heavy for my needs (a plus in that .338 i'd bet). And I just couldn't get over what felt to me like a clunky thick stock.

Offline cboom

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Permanently Banned!
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 04:41:03 PM »
I had one very similar in .223. It shot great, but was heavy for my needs (a plus in that .338 i'd bet). And I just couldn't get over what felt to me like a clunky thick stock.

It's not light. Gun alone is 12 pounds. Have heard you want at least that in this caliber. Not going to be a gun packed in much. More of an itch that needed to be scratched!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 05:02:11 PM by cboom »

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 06:08:02 PM »
X2 on what Plat said.   

I never thought I'd own a lousy Savage rifle, and then I found myself in a pinch (my browning broke).    I had to borrow a Savage.     

Now I hunt modern only with my Savage.    It doesn't know how to miss.   

My 4 children that hunt....   yes, I bought them all Savage rifles. 
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2017, 06:12:25 PM »
I have one of the recall, cookie cutter Remmy 700s and my daughter shoots the plastic fantastic Savage Axis.  Both kill animals every time they are called upon.  I absolutely love my rifle and wouldn't sell it for 10x what I have into it.

If you like the gun it is a good gun.  Enjoy shooting it, please just make sure I'm not on the bench beside you when you light that thing off.   :chuckle:

Offline cboom

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Permanently Banned!
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2017, 06:32:37 PM »
I have one of the recall, cookie cutter Remmy 700s and my daughter shoots the plastic fantastic Savage Axis.  Both kill animals every time they are called upon.  I absolutely love my rifle and wouldn't sell it for 10x what I have into it.

If you like the gun it is a good gun.  Enjoy shooting it, please just make sure I'm not on the bench beside you when you light that thing off.   :chuckle:

Lol! I l like the fact I can shoot a few hundred yards at my place. And a short drive to stretch it out farther. Definitely no fun being at a range with a gun like that next to you!

Offline cboom

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Permanently Banned!
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2017, 08:23:26 PM »
After looking at this gun a bit more I knoticed  the muzzle break is not on center. It's maybe 11:30 if the top is 12. Probably send it back.  I deserve this for buying it. They have earned their reputation over decades for a reason.  Just figured for a grand they might care about putting a gun together.  Kind of mad at myself for doing something I knew I shouldn't,  buy junk get junk.......

Offline hollymaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2017, 09:28:43 PM »
After looking at this gun a bit more I knoticed  the muzzle break is not on center. It's maybe 11:30 if the top is 12. Probably send it back.  I deserve this for buying it. They have earned their reputation over decades for a reason.  Just figured for a grand they might care about putting a gun together.  Kind of mad at myself for doing something I knew I shouldn't,  buy junk get junk.......
:o

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2017, 12:34:42 PM »

Buyers remorse??   :chuckle: :chuckle:  I will give $600....joking of course.  Though I don't believe savages are junk, I do agree...if the muzzle break is not alligned they should fix it.   

I purchased a Henry .22 mag goldenboy to have it show up with a large bur on the barrel and mag tube missaligned.  I was pissed off too.....they paid for shipping to and from and fixed it (or so I hope, I get it back next week).  By no means does this mean they make junk guns. 

Good luck and if you decide to just fix it yourself with a shim or crush washer, you may change your mind about the gun.  They are great guns and even better shooters.  Not overly familiar with this exact gun, but I would put my savages against any other rifle on the market for accuracy....especially if you reload.  The accutrigger is pretty amazing for a stock trigger too.....

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]