collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Sell me on hunting GPS  (Read 4979 times)

Offline Natas5150

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Sell me on hunting GPS
« on: September 04, 2017, 08:55:41 AM »
Alright all you techies out there. Sell me on GPS's. Are they worth it? What is the benefits of them vs. paper maps? Paper maps are getting harder to find for GMU's. I am looking for something that will show me trails and such that i wouldnt find on a paper map.  What GPS would you all recommend for ease of use. I dont want something super complicated. Thanks all i look forward to the responses as i am interested in these gadgets.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Re: Sell me on hunting GPS
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 09:21:23 AM »
For me, the main benefit of a gps is that I can tell exactly where I am which means I can safely hunt closer to public/private boundaries.  I can also tell public from private in a heartbeat.

That said, it hasn't replaced paper maps and compass, it has enhanced my mapwork.  I always use both.

I have a dedicated GPS, but it rarely gets used anymore as my phone is so much more convenient, easy to use and more feature laden.  I use OnX maps which had a horrible upgrade cycle lately but they seem to have it back to normal.  With their service, you can pull up tons more information than a paper map would ever show.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 09:22:21 AM »
Gotta Smartphone?  Start here with free or near free version. Simple topo. Select area u are going to hunt download beforehand.  Stick on dash while driving, stick in jacket hiking.   [url]/https://www.gaiagps.com/[url]

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 10:02:40 AM »
It's an absolutely essential piece of gear for hunters in my opinion. You can know where you are relative to property boundaries, mark your camp/truck/downed animal so they can be easily found again even in the dark or fog, and a host of other functions. I can't imagine going afield without one anymore.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline AWS

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 10:52:04 AM »
I have a trax hunting map chips for my truck GPS,  Northwest covers WA, OR and ID and another one covering ten more western states.  I hunt coyotes for a few months at a time(retired living out of my hunting truck) covering much of the west .  I run and gun all day and plan my hunts on paper maps the night before and then use the GPS on the road.  Like someone else here I've run into land owners that tried to tell me that I was on private land and when they saw the GPS admitted that they just lease the grazing rites and I've been invited to hunt all their deeded lands also.

The best investment for hunting I've made.
After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Offline ghosthunter

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 11:07:41 AM »
If you get one get a Rhino.
Besides all that has been posted you can also keep track of your hunting partners if they have rhinos.

When hunting alone I leave a Rhino in my rig on. Every so often I key the mic and my rhino sends my position to my truck. In the event something happens all my family knows to get that rhino and find me.
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline hughjorgan

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 11:27:28 AM »
If you get one get a Rhino.
Besides all that has been posted you can also keep track of your hunting partners if they have rhinos.

When hunting alone I leave a Rhino in my rig on. Every so often I key the mic and my rhino sends my position to my truck. In the event something happens all my family knows to get that rhino and find me.

An InReach by Garmin would be a better option IMO, especially if you hunt by your self alot

Offline ghosthunter

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 11:47:02 AM »
Yes it would.

But already own a spot locator. It takes two buttons to send for help on the spot. If you are able when something happens.
Keying for the Rhino as I move along is extra insurance.

The OP asked about gps. :tup:
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2017, 03:40:36 PM »
OK...So, I'm hunting up in the Winthrop/Twisp/Volstead Creek area and, on my maps I see some DNR land that's surrounded by private land. Still, there's a point where it touches Balky Hill Rd and is marked as DNR land. I park my truck, turn on my GPS, mark the point where the land butts up against the road, make sure the tracking function is on and proceed to hunt the land making sure I'm inside the DNR boundaries.

Well, the hunting gods were smiling and, after a bit I shoot a nice deer who is the perfect gentleman in that he only goes about 10 yards and falls about 25 yards inside the boundary of the DNR land. I walk up to him, mark the spot as a waypoint (so that I can lead any game officer right back to it if necessary), and label it as "Deer Down with date and time."

As I'm field dressing him, I hear a quad coming my way pretty fast and, as it gets closer, I can see the face of a pretty worked guy who gets off and immediately says :"You know this is private property, don't you?" and, then, goes on for a bit about trespassing and such. I didn't respond or get angry or look mad or anything. I just let him wind down and asked if he was "Mr. XXX" (because I have the hunting chip in my unit which shows who owns what). Well, that stopped him cold and he asked if we knew each other. I said no and asked if he'd like to see my GPS.

He did. So I showed him where I'd marked my entry point, my entire track which had started from my truck and stayed on all morning, showed that I'd always been on DNR land, and showed where I'd dropped the deer. His entire expression changed right there and he said, "I'm a hunter too. Where the heck can I get one of those?"

We eneded up talking for a bit and he even helped me get the deer back to my truck. Might I also mention I now have permission to hunt on his property.

Pretty good return on an investment if I say so myself.

Buy one, doggone it. And carry spare batteries.

Larry S.

I've had a few encounters with farmers thinking I trespassed - or wanting to bluff me off public land (not sure).

In each case I offered to show them my my GPS with track feature on s they could see that I was nevcr on their land.

I had one farmer call the Sheriff.   They met me coming out.    I showed the Sheriff my GPS (I was never on private).     
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline Alpine Mojo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 07:05:24 PM »
It's an absolutely essential piece of gear for hunters in my opinion.

I would call GPS a luxury item...but never essential.

It's nice to have as it does all the thinking and calculations for you to get your position.  The problem is if you can't navigate by map with a compass or altimeter then you have no business thinking you know what you are doing.  It is simply a liability to be dependent on electronic devices.
Friend: "Are you free tonight?"
Me:  (Gazing into the distance as a bald eagle screeches)  "I'm always free"

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2017, 07:48:46 PM »
It's an absolutely essential piece of gear for hunters in my opinion.

I would call GPS a luxury item...but never essential.

It's nice to have as it does all the thinking and calculations for you to get your position.  The problem is if you can't navigate by map with a compass or altimeter then you have no business thinking you know what you are doing.  It is simply a liability to be dependent on electronic devices.
I hunt checkerboard public/private land in several places and often hunt close to the boundaries. To do that legally makes a GPS essential for me. As for electronics, I rely on them in lots of functions and don't consider it a liability.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Larry S.

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2017, 08:37:35 AM »
OK...So, I'm hunting during modern firearm season and, on my maps, I see some DNR land that's surrounded by private land. Still, there's a point where it touches a road and is marked as DNR land. I park my truck near that point, turn on my GPS, mark the point where the land butts up against the road, make sure the tracking function is on and proceed to hunt the land making sure I'm inside the DNR boundaries.

Well, the hunting gods were smiling and, after a bit I shoot a nice deer who drops after only going about 10 yards, but is still about 25 yards inside the boundary of the DNR land. I walk up to him, mark the spot as a waypoint (so that I can lead any game officer right back to it if necessary), and label it as "Deer Down" with date and time attached.

As I'm field dressing him, I hear a quad coming my way pretty fast and, as it gets closer, I can see the face of a pretty worked up guy who gets off and immediately says :"You know this is private property, don't you?" and, then, goes on for a bit about trespassing and such. I didn't respond or get angry or look mad or anything. I just let him wind down and asked if he was "Mr. XXX" (because I have the hunting chip in my unit which shows who owns what). Well, that stopped him cold and he asked if we knew each other. I said no and asked if he'd like to see my GPS.

He did. So I showed him where I'd marked my entry point, my entire track (which had started from my truck and stayed on all morning) and showed him that I'd always been on DNR land, and also showed where I'd dropped the deer. His entire expression changed right there and he said, "I'm a hunter too. Where the heck can I get one of those?"

We eneded up talking for a bit and he even helped me get the deer back to my truck. Might I also mention I now have permission to hunt on his property.

Pretty good return on an investment if I say so myself.

Buy one, doggone it. And carry spare batteries.

PS...Before anyone asks, yes, I also carry a map and (two!) compasses. Two because, whenever I'm tempted not to believe what my compass is telling me (it's a guy thing), I pop the second one out and take a vote. So far, the compasses have won every time. It's a democracy, you know.  ;)
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

"Think like a man of action. Act like a man of thought."
    - General James Mattis, USMC (ret)

"Better is the enemy of good enough."
   - Sergey Gorshkov, Admiral of the Soviet Fleet

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2017, 08:46:37 AM »
I don't really have to sell you on it. Get lost once in the PNW and the next time you go out you'll have the nicest one you can afford. And, they'll never replace situational awareness and the tried and true map and compass. Especially this time of year, the Defense department occasionally messes with the satellites. If you don't know where "out" is and how to use the map and compass, or you drop or break your GPS, you can be completely screwed.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline BNAElkhntr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: Life member NRA, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, SCI
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2017, 08:53:49 AM »
Which Model  GPS   @Larry S.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2017, 09:09:49 AM »
I use a Rino 530hcx but I want to get another Rino eventually, I've been looking at the 755t

I mark a lot of stuff, bobcat tracks in a fresh snow, wolf kills, fresh elk tracks/poo with date/times (because they're likely to be near there next year at the same time) cougar tracks etc

I need to get better at using garmin base map on the computer and not have so much stuff cluttering my gps

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]