collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: YETI Tundra or Cabelas polar cap?  (Read 6666 times)

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: YETI Tundra or Cabelas polar cap?
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2017, 09:11:09 AM »
MALUNA is new to the roto molded market but they are by far the best I believe, I own Yeti and 2 Maluna coolers, they are quite a bit less expensive than Yeti also  :tup:
http://maluna.com/

and on sale

http://maluna.com/product/unhinged70/

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2017, 09:38:54 AM »
I have a couple RTIC's. I've learned that if you don't take the extra day to cool them down ahead of time, you're basically going to get the same results as a less expensive cooler. Once they're cool, they hold ice a lot longer. If they're not cooled down, there's no point in spending the money.
 :twocents:

Also the roto-molded coolers are heavy as heck!!
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline CaNINE

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2017, 09:46:12 AM »
I just did a pile of research on this issue. I went with the cabelas polar cap 100 quart. 
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

Proverbs 12:27

Offline elkinrutdrivemenuts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2017, 09:48:35 AM »
I have a couple RTIC's. I've learned that if you don't take the extra day to cool them down ahead of time, you're basically going to get the same results as a less expensive cooler. Once they're cool, they hold ice a lot longer. If they're not cooled down, there's no point in spending the money.

Cool them down with ice?  Or put them in a freezer?

Offline PlateauNDN

• Y.A.R. Medicine Man
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
  • R.I.P. Colockumelk 20130423. Semper Fi!
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2017, 09:55:42 AM »
I think he means from storage or any place where they were at room temp or above? :dunno: 

I usually turn hose on and let it run cold then spray spray mine down and let some water build up inside then drain, wide down and start stuffing it with food/drinks and ice. :tup:
If you can read thank a teacher, If you can read in English thank a Marine! 
Not as Lean, Just as Mean, Still a Marine!
He who shed blood with me shall forever be my brother!

"Around this camp, there's only one Chief; the rest are Indians!"

"Give me 15 more minutes, I was dreaming of Beavers!"

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2017, 09:58:25 AM »

Either or.

I have a RTIC 65. WE took it to the fair a few weeks ago. We used it for beverages and lunches and left it in the car the whole time we were there.  It was anywhere from 50-90 degrees the whole time we were there so it got really hot inside the car. I put a 20 pound bag of ice in the first morning. It lasted about a day and a half before it was maybe half gone. At that point I bought another 20# bag of ice cubes. That one lasted the remaining 3 days we were there and there was a lot left at the end. Enough that I took it out and put it back in my garage freezer to be used later. Those last 3 days were the hottest too. My conclusion was that the cooler had the ice in it initially and that cooled it down. The 2nd bag of ice lasted a lot longer in significantly hotter temps(inside the car 80-90 degrees outside) because the cooler was cold from the previous bag.

That's my un-scientific experiment.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Loser's Lounge - Lifetime Member
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2017, 10:12:08 AM »

Either or.

I have a RTIC 65. WE took it to the fair a few weeks ago. We used it for beverages and lunches and left it in the car the whole time we were there.  It was anywhere from 50-90 degrees the whole time we were there so it got really hot inside the car. I put a 20 pound bag of ice in the first morning. It lasted about a day and a half before it was maybe half gone. At that point I bought another 20# bag of ice cubes. That one lasted the remaining 3 days we were there and there was a lot left at the end. Enough that I took it out and put it back in my garage freezer to be used later. Those last 3 days were the hottest too. My conclusion was that the cooler had the ice in it initially and that cooled it down. The 2nd bag of ice lasted a lot longer in significantly hotter temps(inside the car 80-90 degrees outside) because the cooler was cold from the previous bag.

I learned the same thing recently with my RTIC.

Throw a bag or a frozen milk jug in the night before (Milk jug is re-usable) then fill it the next day with the intended items and ice.
Even once cooled down, I didn't need ice for a day trip, kept everything that was already cold, cold.  It wasn't very warm out that day.

Online pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2017, 10:20:26 AM »
Coleman extreme at wall mart.

Six blocks of ice lasts two weeks.

:yeah: on sale @1/8th the cost of Yeti.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2017, 10:21:50 AM »

Either or.

I learned the same thing recently with my RTIC.

Throw a bag or a frozen milk jug in the night before (Milk jug is re-usable) then fill it the next day with the intended items and ice.
Even once cooled down, I didn't need ice for a day trip, kept everything that was already cold, cold.  It wasn't very warm out that day.

:yeah:  Been pre-cooling my coolers for a long time. I started doing it with my old Igloos a long time ago because it was the only way to keep stuff cold longer. Now that I do it with my RTIC's, it keeps stuff cold for a long time. Frozen milk jugs work awesome.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline elkinrutdrivemenuts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2017, 11:28:35 AM »
Sweet, I have thrown small day coolers in the freezer, never tried with the big one.  I think look into this.

Offline TVHunts

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+56)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA-RSO,RMEF,DU, Marysville Rifle Club
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2017, 04:33:59 PM »
Coleman extreme at wall mart.

Six blocks of ice lasts two weeks.

:yeah: on sale @1/8th the cost of Yeti.

But, not 1/8 of some of the Yeti competitors.

I have a Cabelas polar ice cap 80 and,  65 & 45 RTIC coolers.  I feel they are worth the extra money over time. I don't think I will ever need to replace them in my lifetime and that is worth something to me. Pre-cooling is important with any of them. I have used my RTIC 40 to prevent freezing in single digit temps for days on end for beverages in Eastern way during bird season.  They work well for that as well and it is hard to believe in those kind of temps they can prevent freezing. I personally am sold on them and have given away igloo and other coolers that have caused many a trip to a store for more ice in a couple or few days. 
MAGA

Hey Slobbering JOE,

STOP the freaking INVASION

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2017, 05:05:13 PM »
Sweet, I have thrown small day coolers in the freezer, never tried with the big one.  I think look into this.

I've thought about this and seen people mention putting their coolers in the freezer. Not sure I could have a whole freezer dedicated to cooling my coolers though.

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2017, 08:42:51 PM »
The gallon square milk jugs from Costco work awesome for ice. 4 of them laying down fit perfectly in my 65 quart Pelican.

Low T Beta Male
Domesticated simpy city dwelling male

Offline dreamunelk

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2017, 10:02:37 PM »
Thanks for all the advice everyone.  I pulled the trigger on a Cabelas 80qt.  This will mainly be used for early archery.  I take the whole season off.  This year I may miss one day.  Only time we come out is to get ice and whatever.  While we tent it we do not lack for much, especially food.  So I want something that will keep everything cold for a while.  Steak, smoked brisket, fresh baked apple pie and other wonderful delicacies are often found in our camp.  Some of the young ground pounders who make me think there is hope for hunters often find there way to our camp.  They say it is for advice from us old timers.  We are not fooled.  There timing is always around dinner or breakfast.  Our camp boss always feeds them.  We don't gripe they are more then willing to help the old guys pack an elk out.  If you know where to look you can actually see our camp on google earth.  The tent is a small home when we get through with it.  We have the Coleman extremes and they work good.  Even with care we never get a whole season out of ice.  So we will see.   If I am not happy I will take it back and blast it on here.  If it reduces trips to civilization by one it will pay for itself.
The down side of all this is you introduced me to brands I have never heard of.  That is not good for the wallet.

PS: if there is smoke coming from the smoker everyone will be back to camp early.

Offline HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2017, 05:43:52 AM »
They just put that Polar cap on sale for $349. If you didn't get it for that price or better they should make the adjustment for you. Also saw that a guy on Ifish has a brand new one hes selling for $300 if anybody is interested.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]