collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: We are not alone.  (Read 6600 times)

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Re: We are not alone.
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2017, 12:14:48 PM »
I've been told that your ratio of surviving a brown bear attack is directly related to the circumference of your head.  That they like to pop it like a grape for you small headed guys  :chuckle:

Incredible story........  Good they were prepared and used the best weapon of all......good sound clear thinking under pressure  :tup:
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Online pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2017, 01:58:19 PM »
 :yeah:  :yike:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Patron Life Member, RMEF Life, Sponser Member
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2017, 02:03:13 PM »
Tough guy.  Glad he made it out alive. 
Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

Offline biggfish

• Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2017, 05:37:32 PM »
Glad he made it out alive, but looking at it after the fact maybe one guy should have in spray and the other gun at the ready.  Hope he makes a full recovery without any permanent problems.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk

Now then, get your equipment—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.  Gen. 27:3

Offline Scheindogg

• Longhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2017, 05:55:45 PM »
Glad he made it out alive, but looking at it after the fact maybe one guy should have in spray and the other gun at the ready.  Hope he makes a full recovery without any permanent problems.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk
:yeah:

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me -Phillipians 4:13

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2017, 06:05:41 PM »
I've been told that your ratio of surviving a brown bear attack is directly related to the circumference of your head.  That they like to pop it like a grape for you small headed guys  :chuckle:

Incredible story........  Good they were prepared and used the best weapon of all......good sound clear thinking under pressure  :tup:

I'm safe then  :IBCOOL: 

A Grizzly bear would take one look at the size of my melon and think to itself "man, ain't no way I'm gonna get that melon in my mouth, look at the size of that!"   and walk off. 

Offline jdb

• the illustious potentate
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2017, 07:27:06 PM »

im in luck, I've got a big ole melon!!
nuke the gray whales for jesus!

Offline 2MANY

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2017, 12:51:40 PM »
Another story from this year.

"Disregard if no grizzlies are in your hunting area.

I elk hunt in moderate grizzly country.  Yesterday my hunting partner frontal shot a big bull at 16 yards and got only 1 lung.  We trailed the bull for 4 hr and finally found him dead and 730 p.m.  Over a mile and a half blood trail.  Huge. We immediately thought that the long blood trail would attract grizzlies.  We boned, bagged, caped (I'll post a pic here on the Meatpole soon) and got out of there at 9 p.m.  We put the cape and horns 200yd from the kill and continued another 200 to stage a few meat bags in the creek.  I suggested that my partner go grab the cape and horns while I fill the water bladders (80 degree day).He went 100 yards. It was dark.  He caught eyes looking at him 70 yards away.  Huge.  He screamed, "hey bear".  And just like that, it charged.  He had his 44 in his hand and fired.  The bear cut the charge and detoured.  He ran back to me.  We both were pretty shook up. It wasn't over.  We staged all 4 bags in the creek and walked directly toward our rig.  2 more griz right in front of us 50 yard. We held our ground, pistols drawn, bear spray ready.  After a few minutes both bears wandered off.  We hightailed it outta there. No further incident. Horsing it out today 
LESSONS LEARNED
1. NEVER, EVER, Split up in bear country for any reason.
2.  Never Put your guard down. Even if you do everything right, the S---- can still hit the fan.
3. Pack both the bearspray and the firearm.  Great idea.
4. Buy the brightest headlight you can if you plan on walking out in the dark in bear country. 
PLEASE BE SAFE OUT THERE GUYS!  Personally, I will not be hunting in moderate griz country from this point on.  6 hours of horror not worth elk.  And elk hunting is what I live for.  "

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2017, 08:38:42 PM »
Another story from this year.

"Disregard if no grizzlies are in your hunting area.

I elk hunt in moderate grizzly country.  Yesterday my hunting partner frontal shot a big bull at 16 yards and got only 1 lung.  We trailed the bull for 4 hr and finally found him dead and 730 p.m.  Over a mile and a half blood trail.  Huge. We immediately thought that the long blood trail would attract grizzlies.  We boned, bagged, caped (I'll post a pic here on the Meatpole soon) and got out of there at 9 p.m.  We put the cape and horns 200yd from the kill and continued another 200 to stage a few meat bags in the creek.  I suggested that my partner go grab the cape and horns while I fill the water bladders (80 degree day).He went 100 yards. It was dark.  He caught eyes looking at him 70 yards away.  Huge.  He screamed, "hey bear".  And just like that, it charged.  He had his 44 in his hand and fired.  The bear cut the charge and detoured.  He ran back to me.  We both were pretty shook up. It wasn't over.  We staged all 4 bags in the creek and walked directly toward our rig.  2 more griz right in front of us 50 yard. We held our ground, pistols drawn, bear spray ready.  After a few minutes both bears wandered off.  We hightailed it outta there. No further incident. Horsing it out today 
LESSONS LEARNED
1. NEVER, EVER, Split up in bear country for any reason.
2.  Never Put your guard down. Even if you do everything right, the S---- can still hit the fan.
3. Pack both the bearspray and the firearm.  Great idea.
4. Buy the brightest headlight you can if you plan on walking out in the dark in bear country. 
PLEASE BE SAFE OUT THERE GUYS!  Personally, I will not be hunting in moderate griz country from this point on.  6 hours of horror not worth elk.  And elk hunting is what I live for.  "

I hate Grizzlies! 

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2017, 09:27:07 PM »
 :yeah: Yup I hunt solo most of the time and I don't even mess with units that have grizz in them. I have been in a few poor situations with blk bears and that was bad enough let alone dealing with a grizz.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2017, 10:08:43 PM »
Ursus arctos horribilis

there must be a reason for the name....

Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2017, 09:46:50 PM »
Planning to head out solo into an area that I have seen Grizzlies.   :bash:

Offline predatorG

• Ski Bum
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • BT's are making me crazy
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2017, 04:44:55 AM »
Planning to head out solo into an area that I have seen Grizzlies.   :bash:

Stay safe man. Have any contacts in the area in case something goes awry ? Have a sat phone in case there's no service ? Also good luck, kill a big elk  ;)
"All of my best elk hunts are the ones where I come home with a big buck!" -RadSav

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2017, 06:22:33 AM »
Ursus arctos horribilis

there must be a reason for the name....

:yeah:

Those old Latin guys must have been pretty darn smart,

:chuckle:

That name is fitting.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by HntnFsh
[Today at 02:12:56 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw