collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: White river gmu closed  (Read 12866 times)

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Re: White river gmu closed
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2017, 09:22:46 AM »
Doesn't matter, if they re-enter the draw your odds don't go down unless you carry three or four significant digits right of the decimal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You lost me stein. The minimum is one digit to the left of the decimal as I understand the system.

If 50 people turn their permits back in and they average 10 points a piece, that's 5,000 applications back in the pool next year as opposed to 50 applications if they kept their permits. You don't feel that reduces your odds next year?

The way the math works is that the draw odds are so low in the best quality hunts that having another guy or ten in the draw doesn't noticeably change your odds.  If you have a 3% chance or a 3.004% chance, you have the same odds really.

The way I see it is that if you draw a tag, you should have a chance to hunt it.  If 50% of the unit burns up, especially if it is the 50% that 90% were going to hunt then it really is a different deal and not fair to the guy who drew with 19 points.  I applaud WDFW getting in front of it and reinstating the points.

That said, I'm keeping my tag.

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2017, 10:42:53 AM »
Good luck to you.  Hope your boots are broken in.  :tup:

Offline Crunchy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2017, 10:46:11 AM »
I'm glad I drew it last year.  Wouldn't be too happy to lose a huge chunk of the prime areas to the fires.

Offline Elkcollector82

• Work to live, not live to work.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • Hunt hard by laying boot tracks, Not tire tracks
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2017, 10:53:03 AM »
Doesn't matter, if they re-enter the draw your odds don't go down unless you carry three or four significant digits right of the decimal.

You lost me stein. The minimum is one digit to the left of the decimal as I understand the system.

If 50 people turn their permits back in and they average 10 points a piece, that's 5,000 applications back in the pool next year as opposed to 50 applications if they kept their permits. You don't feel that reduces your odds next year?

The way the math works is that the draw odds are so low in the best quality hunts that having another guy or ten in the draw doesn't noticeably change your odds.  If you have a 3% chance or a 3.004% chance, you have the same odds really.

The way I see it is that if you draw a tag, you should have a chance to hunt it.  If 50% of the unit burns up, especially if it is the 50% that 90% were going to hunt then it really is a different deal and not fair to the guy who drew with 19 points.  I applaud WDFW getting in front of it and reinstating the points.

:tup: hope it all works out and you bag a monster. Make the best of it.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2017, 10:56:31 AM »

Good luck. The lack of other hunters may give you an extra edge. :tup:
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Blade

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2017, 03:35:29 PM »
466 is closed also

Offline Greg Mullins

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Scout
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2017, 05:12:43 PM »
I drew an archery bull tag. I was called and told the GMU was closed. I was told I could keep my tag in the event the UNIT reopened or have it postmarked by September 11 to get my points back. With the compiled points of 17 with my hunting partner I took my points back in the event the unit doesn't open before September 21 when the permit is over and I don't get to go elk hunting and I go back to zero points Really sucks but doesn't sting so  bad knowing next year we're going in with 18. It's just like seeing not selected again

Offline Elkcollector82

• Work to live, not live to work.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Hunt hard by laying boot tracks, Not tire tracks
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2017, 05:29:01 PM »
I drew an archery bull tag. I was called and told the GMU was closed. I was told I could keep my tag in the event the UNIT reopened or have it postmarked by September 11 to get my points back. With the compiled points of 17 with my hunting partner I took my points back in the event the unit doesn't open before September 21 when the permit is over and I don't get to go elk hunting and I go back to zero points Really sucks but doesn't sting so  bad knowing next year we're going in with 18. It's just like seeing not selected again

Well hopefully next year you can strike again and come out with a monster. Sorry bout all the work and not being able to put it to test.

Offline rosscrazyelk

• BMM
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2017, 06:54:06 PM »
Yes it sucks for all. But have seen how much of the unit is closed (national forest that is) I believe they felt it was the right choice.  Some of my favorite places have gone up in flames and most likely lost a few cameras. But on the bright side it should be pretty good in a few years.
If its brown knock it down

Offline CarbonHunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF, WSB
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2017, 07:40:26 PM »

Did your email say that you get a point for this year?  Technically you drew this year so you should get a point even though you got your points back. Should be the same as this year with 17 points. The WAC says you only get a point if you don't draw.

Offline highrisk

• Pilgrim
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2017, 03:13:53 PM »
As of now GMU 346 Little Naches is closed.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2017, 04:00:05 PM »

Where did you see that?

Offline Bald378

• Pilgrim
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2017, 04:00:15 PM »
How does one find out a GMU is closed? My dad has the quality rifle tag in 346 starting the 30th and he has not received any notification. Thanks in advance.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2017, 04:28:19 PM »
A guy in our camp has that archery tag, I sure hope the entire unit isn't closed.  He's been able to hit the eastside of the 1900 since the start.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2017, 05:25:36 PM »
checked w the guys hunting up there, they said this is not true :dunno:
“In common with”..... not so much!!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]