collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: muzzleloader elk  (Read 5386 times)

Offline panzerROT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
  • 509-476-3097
    • jeff and mary mcallister
  • Groups: NRA
muzzleloader elk
« on: September 08, 2017, 10:18:05 PM »
To all you muzzleloader geeks out there, I have drawn a mt view any bull permit for the blues. I am not an expert by any means with my Vortex light northwest traditions muzzleloader. I have been practicing at 100 yards. My combo is pyrodex pellets 2-50 gr. with powerbelt 295 hollow pts. I'm using 1081 german caps. my first shot I hit 2 inches to the left and 2 inches low. I was pumped! however my next shot was 16 inches low and 2 inches to the left. So I have cleaned my gun at 3 to 4 shots. Everytime I clean the first shot is right on but the 2nd falls 16 inches. I realize on the range I can clean every shot not so in a hunting situation.  The 2,3,4 shot are consistent at 100 yards at 16 inches low. Should I go into the field with a fresh barrel or should I go with the first shot taken. Or am I not cleaning the gun properly? I realize the 2nd shot will loose energy. Or would a hotter load be better say 120 grain? Anyone out there have advice. Keep in mind I live in Washington. Thanks

Offline Harleysboss

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: RMEF
Re: muzzleloader elk
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 08:46:36 AM »
Why cant you clean in the field? I carry a few small prepacked alcohol wipes with me in my pack. I always do a quick wipe with the alcohol patch and then a dry patch prior to reloading. Reloads are slow anyway with the muzzy so why not prep your gun the same shot every shot. I dont have first hand knowledge of your gun so maybe others will have more info for you. Loose powder and a better bullet than the Power Belt may be something you may want to investigate.  The 295grn HP PB is not a great Elk Bullet in my opinion. If you like PB bullets maybe a Platinum series would be a better choice for Elk. Elk are tough critters and HP PBelts are not.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 09:27:51 AM »
Tough question, if it was a modern rifle the choice would be obvious, but leaving black powder residue in a gun is not a great thing.  I would likely be tempted to go in clean and then just hold over for a second shot if it was needed quickly.  If it goes off and you leave it for a while before tracking, you could clean it in that circumstance.

Offline 10thmountainarcher

• Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 09:28:03 AM »
Using pyrodex pellets I have never been able to group. I would try loose. Try different combos of bullets and powder till u find one that works.

Offline floatinghat

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 10:11:18 AM »
when you say "clean" is that a swab or a bunch of swabs?  My POI from clean to fouled move about 2 down and 2 right.  However, open sights and measuring powder by volume always leaves a little wild card.  I use loose, swab once with a light spit on a patch.  After the first patch I group in the same. 

Has the "clean" barrel been fouled by a couple of caps?

Offline panzerROT

• Pilgrim
  • 509-476-3097
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 11:58:43 AM »
when you say "clean" is that a swab or a bunch of swabs?  My POI from clean to fouled move about 2 down and 2 right.  However, open sights and measuring powder by volume always leaves a little wild card.  I use loose, swab once with a light spit on a patch.  After the first patch I group in the same. 

When I say clean I mean taking out the plug clean the barrel spotless with wire brush etc. swab several times. Maybe I will just try swabbing once and re-shooting. The gun has never mis-fired in all the shooting ive done.

Offline panzerROT

• Pilgrim
  • 509-476-3097
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 09:45:12 PM »
hey floatinghat, I think the next trip to the range I'm going to try loose powder with a traditions 350 lead lubed, I will shoot the first shot and leave the fouling. The 2nd and 3rd and 4th shot I will spit swab in between each. Do you use a slotted jag with a spit on one side swab and then flip over to dry swab again and then shoot. leaving the breech plug in correct?  Thanks for the reply

Offline bighorn1

• Hunter
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2017, 06:30:25 AM »
I have the same gun I think your answer is go to lose powder instead of the pellets.

Offline meatwhack

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2017, 08:15:47 AM »
If you aren't fouling the gun first with a primer I'd try that and then shoot a group. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to shoot 3 to 5 shots with consistent accuracy.

Offline Mallardmasher

• Scout
  • IBEW LU 46
  • Groups: CCA WWA
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2017, 05:41:37 PM »
Pyodex is dirty, and I have not had much luck with Powerbeats and dirty barrels, I have switched to triple 7 pellets and Barnes MTZ , and now I am good for about 5 shots before swabbing.
USN 1985-94, IBEW Local 46 1994-Present
Matt

Offline sled

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2017, 05:53:39 PM »
Loose the pellets, and power belts.

Offline JL

• Hunter
  • Groups: NRA, CCRKBA, RMEF
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2017, 06:29:47 PM »
I am not an expert either but I've shot a lot this year for similar reasons. I'm letting one go right before I head out for the hunt.

Offline funkster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2017, 11:15:22 PM »
Pyodex is dirty, and I have not had much luck with Powerbeats and dirty barrels, I have switched to triple 7 pellets and Barnes MTZ , and now I am good for about 5 shots before swabbing.

I agree with using triple 7 and Barnes MTZ. I've also found some guns shoot better using loose over pellet. I can usually shoot 5 rounds before the MTZ's get hard to load. Also make sure and shoot a cap before loading (fouling the barrel). When you take to the field, make sure you're acclimating your gun properly. I actually leave my loader in the rig so I'm not creating moisture in the barrel going from hot to cold. It essentially stays at an even temp or gradually heats to air  temp more even. Good luck, loading is a lot of fun but can also be a bit finicky. A user on this forum (I believe named sabot loader) has a lot of good info, might want to give his threads a look.
If you want to make it,
you can't fake it,
you gotta live it.

"Lynch would serve him up about 5 yards of new-age-football reverse propulsion."- Bullkllr

“Patrick Mahomes is what Seahawks fans think Russell Wilson is.”

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2017, 07:55:18 AM »

Foul your barrel more before your first shot.  Hopefully it's low and consistent, like your second shots have been

Offline CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2017, 08:18:38 AM »
Loose the pellets, and power belts.

:yeah:

And keep your bore clean and oil free.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]