collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: SW Wa land closures  (Read 6640 times)

Online BLH69

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Re: SW Wa land closures
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2017, 08:45:56 AM »
I saw the 5 pt. hit by vehicle several years ago by Stokes Auction. In '85 or '86 there was a bull on the property by jackson and lund before it was a skatepark. just a spike and he wasn't around long. There hasn't been "plenty" of Elk in this county in the 100 yrs my family has been here.

Offline pd

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2017, 09:01:12 AM »
I saw the 5 pt. hit by vehicle several years ago by Stokes Auction. In '85 or '86 there was a bull on the property by jackson and lund before it was a skatepark. just a spike and he wasn't around long. There hasn't been "plenty" of Elk in this county in the 100 yrs my family has been here.

Yep, yep, yep.  All true.

I am convinced a healthy herd could survive on the SW side of the peninsula, but they would have to be introduced to start.  There is no way they could or would swim across from Dosewalips.  I actually wish WDFW would do this.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Bronson

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2017, 10:02:39 AM »

We saw that bull at Jackson and Lund one night coming back from watching one of the Navy ships come in (Nimitz maybe, I cant remember now).  It went across from the state land over to where the AM/PM is now, back when that was a 4 way stop.  We went home and my dad got a flashlight then drove back and went in the woods to see if he could locate it again, which he did.  He called the WDFW to let them know and the literally laughed at him and said he had probably just had a bit too much to drink that night (he doesnt drink).  If I remember correctly they failed at darting it a couple of times over the course of a week or two.  Finally got it darted in a pasture with some mules or horses off Lund and relocated it, not sure where they took it.

Offline DIYARCHERYJUNKIE

• Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2017, 03:53:48 PM »
When are they gonna open the gates down south?

Offline Stump

• Hunter
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2017, 05:39:41 PM »
After some days of good steady rain.

Online BLH69

• Hunter
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2017, 07:37:28 PM »

We saw that bull at Jackson and Lund one night coming back from watching one of the Navy ships come in (Nimitz maybe, I cant remember now).  It went across from the state land over to where the AM/PM is now, back when that was a 4 way stop.  We went home and my dad got a flashlight then drove back and went in the woods to see if he could locate it again, which he did.  He called the WDFW to let them know and the literally laughed at him and said he had probably just had a bit too much to drink that night (he doesnt drink).  If I remember correctly they failed at darting it a couple of times over the course of a week or two.  Finally got it darted in a pasture with some mules or horses off Lund and relocated it, not sure where they took it.

Offline RGB

• Tracker
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2017, 09:39:58 AM »
Wow. Thanks for the private messages guys. I never meant to imply there was a big population of elk in Kitsap Co. My remarks were meant to refer to the North Western part of the state in general (not a four to five hour drive South)and I was not trying to keep him from coming down this way as was implied in a private message. I actually shared some detailed information on an area that has been very productive on both private timber Co. (Green Crow - also provide contact info for the land manager who will help haul the elk out if he's in the area) and NF land in the Lewis River unit. My partner and I would be there now if his wife wasn't in chemo. Good luck to you all.

Offline predatorG

• Ski Bum
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • BT's are making me crazy
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2017, 01:04:29 PM »
Wow. Thanks for the private messages guys. I never meant to imply there was a big population of elk in Kitsap Co. My remarks were meant to refer to the North Western part of the state in general (not a four to five hour drive South)and I was not trying to keep him from coming down this way as was implied in a private message. I actually shared some detailed information on an area that has been very productive on both private timber Co. (Green Crow - also provide contact info for the land manager who will help haul the elk out if he's in the area) and NF land in the Lewis River unit. My partner and I would be there now if his wife wasn't in chemo. Good luck to you all.

RGB had some great info. Also he is right that there is an Olympic herd nearby. So stop saying anything rude.
"All of my best elk hunts are the ones where I come home with a big buck!" -RadSav

Offline DIYARCHERYJUNKIE

• Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2017, 03:40:46 AM »
After some days of good steady rain.

Did they open the gates yet? 

Offline elkdrivemenuts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2017, 05:35:50 AM »
Probably have to wait to call them when they open up the office.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline DIYARCHERYJUNKIE

• Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2017, 06:50:18 AM »
Yeah I figure there's a lot of guys calling right now. I tagged out on the opener but two buddies still in camp waiting to hit the gates.

Offline elkdrivemenuts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2017, 10:24:14 AM »
Hancock ground is open, Cambell group is not in sw

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]