collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Next three year season setting process, we need a change.  (Read 7603 times)

Offline Antlershed

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Next three year season setting process, we need a change.
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2017, 09:01:53 PM »
But you are potentially taking 7 days away from the early archery deer hunters. Not to mention, a Muzzy season that ran from 9/24-10/2 would be a slaughter. (I realize this scenario doesn't play out in the next three years, but it's how the dates would have landed in 2016).

I'd rather see it be the first week of October, regardless of the days of the week.

Offline buglebrush

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2017, 10:29:53 PM »
Just have it start on October 1st every year.  Forget this tattering on Saturday Garbage.

Offline Mallardmasher

• Scout
  • IBEW LU 46
  • Groups: CCA WWA
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2017, 11:14:16 PM »
Oct 1-9th every year. Hmmmm. Still only one complete weekend, but at least they are fixed dates. I would go for that. Archers would lose 7 days, why? There are season over laps all late season that work. Hmmmmm a slaughter, no more then when Archery season runs until Sept 24.
USN 1985-94, IBEW Local 46 1994-Present
Matt

Offline Antlershed

• Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2017, 07:29:31 AM »
They could run concurrent with the archery deer season, but I imagine there would be pushback from the archers.

An archery elk season that runs until the 24th of September is nowhere near the equivalent of a muzzleloader season that would be the last week of September. Guys are shooting today's muzzleloaders out to 150-200 yards accurately, which is essentially "rifle range" for a lot of guys, hence the slaughter comment.

Also, I'm guessing if it went to an Oct 1st opener every year, you wouldn't get 9 days. As has been mentioned, harvest stats play into the number of days in the field that is given.

And before we get there, I'll caveat my statements with the fact that I have hunted Archery, Muzzy and Rifle, and understand why each user group gets a certain number of days.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2017, 08:11:05 AM »
They have it opening on a Saturday because that's what most hunters want. Look at early archery elk season- opens on Saturday. Modern deer season- opens on Saturday. Modern elk season- opens on Saturday. See the pattern? That's not going to change. It's that way due to popular opinion.

Offline Mallardmasher

• Scout
  • IBEW LU 46
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2017, 08:45:20 AM »
Again if it was at 9 days, and the late season was shortened by the equal number of days the early season was extended by, total days afield would remain consistent. And I to have hunted with a Bow and ML for 40 years. With 30 exclusively archery, after much work to help get them the seasons they have now.
I agree with having it start on a Saturday, earlier and getting two weekends, so we do not bump into rifle deer, like this year.
years when it would get early into sept, like mentioned above are also years it could open instead Oct 1st, like last year, and you would still get two weekends with out running into rifle deer. Only a three year program, easy to figure out the three opening Saturday's, without creating a "Slaughter" but still allowing two weekends, but remaining consistent within the states total day frame work.
I would actually bet ML success would dip a little, with shifting two days forward, a big portion is from the late season cow harvest overall
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 09:56:47 AM by Mallardmasher »
Matt

Offline Antlershed

• Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2017, 10:23:30 AM »
But 2 days during the late season don't equal 2 days during the early season (rut), when you're taking harvest stats into account. There were a lot of Bulls killed last year during the 10/1-10/7 season. I'm not sure how long the herds could sustain that kind of harvest.

Offline floatinghat

• Longhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2017, 11:18:00 AM »

While a greater percentage of the late season harvest might be cows the changes are minimal.  . GMU 407 changes from Any elk to 3pt or anterless. I would suggest that this is due to many bulls being harvested and others being more reclusive.

I looks to me like your suggestion is taking days that have lower opportunity of success (late season) and moving them to a time when there is a higher opportunity of success (early season).  To me this would increase the overall success percentage and potentially lead to the opposite (a shorter season) or cancellation of the late season.  The highest harvest days are early in the season and on weekends, how can it not have a negative impact?

I'll agree with keeping some space between elk and modern deer.  I understand the start days on a Saturday, not that it makes that process right or wrong.  I think starting it mid week would spread out hunters more and reduce the pressure in the woods vs a gold rush mentality.

I will admit to kind of liking the late season.  Although the biggest A-Holes I have met hunting were during the late season muzzy.

Anyway, dialog is good because none of us think of everything.

Offline Mallardmasher

• Scout
  • IBEW LU 46
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2017, 11:26:21 AM »
They seem to sustain, post hunt numbers are within frame work and in Some coastal GMU's 2+ times higher. Even after last season. Dialog is good, off to the range
Actually when it goes from Spike to three or or better, they have an above number of mature bulls, making them avail for harvest, when they drop from any bull or three or or better down to spike only, they are needing escapement, so any spike that survives hunting season helps to increase the bull to cow ratio numbers they seek post hunting season.
And when it goes from any bull to 3pt or better they are trying to maintain.
So if an area is struggling it goes to spike only.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 11:36:55 AM by Mallardmasher »
Matt

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2017, 08:09:11 AM »
They have it opening on a Saturday because that's what most hunters want. Look at early archery elk season- opens on Saturday. Modern deer season- opens on Saturday. Modern elk season- opens on Saturday. See the pattern? That's not going to change. It's that way due to popular opinion.

I've never met a hunter that likes the saturday opener.  In fact everyone I've ever talked to hates it!  If you are really a die-hard hunter you'll take the first day off work, especially if it eliminates a little of the outrageous pressure of the saturday opener.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2017, 09:07:57 AM »

I've never met a hunter that likes the saturday opener.  In fact everyone I've ever talked to hates it!  If you are really a die-hard hunter you'll take the first day off work, especially if it eliminates a little of the outrageous pressure of the saturday opener.

Then the majority of hunters must not be "die hard" hunters. If you look at surveys that the WDFW has done in the past, a large majority of hunters want opening day on Saturday. I agree with you, I prefer to have seasons open mid-week, but that's only because I'm able to get paid days off whenever I choose.

Offline pd

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2017, 10:36:17 AM »
First, a caveat.  I fully understand politics, in that my personal opinion will have little bearing on the final outcome.  Thus, I won't comment in either direction to your proposals.  However, please note that if you succeed in moving the ML season opener to the last Saturday in September, and get a 9-day season, I will switch my tag from archery to ML (but still use my bow).  Food for thought for you.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Mallardmasher

• Scout
  • IBEW LU 46
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2017, 04:12:51 PM »
Then you probably loved it when archery season opened around Oct 1st years ago. It is better now, with the current seasons.
Matt

Offline Wetwoodshunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2017, 04:31:09 PM »
Bring on the hate but, I'd assume see the muzzleloader season eliminated and extend the archery season through where the muzzleloader season was. Muzzleloader used to be primative and hunters couldn't shoot them 150-175 yards and kill elk.

With the new guns like the nw knight disc extreme your hunting with a weapon that is a killing machine that is nowhere near what technology was a few years ago. I like Montana's style where if you want to hunt the rut you have to learn how to shoot a bow and get close. Muzzleloader season is set when the elk are very vulnerable and with the new technology you barely have to get inside their senses.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 04:42:09 PM by Wetwoodshunter »

Offline Mallardmasher

• Scout
  • IBEW LU 46
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2017, 06:53:05 PM »
Hahaha that is some funny stuff right there. And archery to use to be primitive, now bows are shooting north of 320 fps and a lot of people's range is 80+ yards. I was a competitive Archer and Hoyt shooter for years. I have seen the advances in both, and they are comparable.
You can not compare our seasons to any other of the PNW states, as they have twice the amount of critters, and we have twice the amount of sportsman. This is why we have to choose our weapon. To limit the overall success rate. No hate, but a good chuckle
Matt

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Taco280AI
[Today at 03:45:23 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]