collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: First Lite Warrenty  (Read 3574 times)

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
Re: First Lite Warrenty
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2017, 09:12:59 AM »
@trophyhunt LOL Trust me, they aren't.  I've torn up BDUs and ACUs aplenty. 

@jackelope so with your experience between Sitka and Firstlite which is your favored brand?  I've resisted Sitka a long time and I really don't know why.  They are expensive but all the top brands are.  Like you said - at least you can try them on in the store. I haven't heard anyone complain about their quality.  From a consumer standpoint I can't see at this point why I would go with any other brand for higher end hunting clothing.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2017, 09:28:16 AM »
From my perspective, I would look at First Lite for their merino products and elsewhere for top layers.

It is very handy to be able to go to Cabelas or wherever and try on every piece of Sitka gear.  I just wish they made them in tall sizes, about 90% of their line has sleeves or legs way too short.

Offline opdinkslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2017, 09:34:49 AM »
Merino wool is an amazing fabric with many amazing qualities. Durability in rough conditions isnt one of them. The corrugate guide pants are bulletproof but the kanabs are not. If your expecting to wear the piss out of anything merino and pitch it in the washer/dryer you better look synthetic because it is gonna disappoint you. Still havent figured out why anybody would buy Sitka when you can get Kuiu thats a better product at a better price? :dunno:

Sitka Timberlines $229.00 Expensive pair of pants, but after wearing the same pair for 10 days in pretty significant situations. Waterproof knees and butt.

Kuiu Chinooks $219.99 Also an expensive pair of pants. No waterproof butt and the knees are an articulated waterproof knee pad. No thanks to the knee pads.

Really the prices are similar between the brands. Sitka is a few bucks more, but it's convenient because it can be found at stores. Personally I wouldn't buy a pair of pants or a $250 jacket without trying it on first.

Valid point on not being able to put your hands on Kuiu stuff. The few pieces of sitka that have been tried by friends have been less than impressive on performance & durability for dollars spent so I have opted to spend elsewhere. Hope it works for you and your happy with it, I will continue to shop elsewhere.  :twocents: :tup:

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2017, 09:35:08 AM »
I don't have any experience with First Lite pants. I have a couple shirts and an Unpronounceable jacket. Really really like the jacket. Sitka has tall sizes and I'm a 36" inseam. When I was looking for pants, First Lite didn't offer tall sizes so I didn't even look at them. In my opinion, especially after the goat hunt this year, I don't know why everyone wouldn't own a pair of Timberlines. I'm pretty much in love with them.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2017, 09:38:08 AM »
I think just like anything else...it comes down to application. What's the application? I wouldn't wear merino wool pants and expect them to hold up in the westside jungle. I also wouldn't wear Sitka Ascent pants there either. They won't last. I may know that from experience.  They'll get torn up. But if you're hunting the sage in September, they're probably alright. I wouldn't probably wear my Timberlines in the sage in September either because I'll overheat.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline opdinkslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2017, 10:15:47 AM »
The timberlines are probably a nice application specific piece but they are extremely heavy and I wont invest that kind of money into something I cant wear on almost any hunt. I think this is where Kuiu has advanced past Gore's quest to make money with better R&D into lightweight,versatile & durable pieces. I also have the first lite uncompahgre jacket and agree it is one of my favorite pieces. In the end it comes down to what fits your body and wallet the best. :twocents: :tup: :twocents:

Offline Duckslayer89

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2017, 10:19:41 AM »
I think just like anything else...it comes down to application. What's the application? I wouldn't wear merino wool pants and expect them to hold up in the westside jungle. I also wouldn't wear Sitka Ascent pants there either. They won't last. I may know that from experience.  They'll get torn up. But if you're hunting the sage in September, they're probably alright. I wouldn't probably wear my Timberlines in the sage in September either because I'll overheat.

I've worn my Kanab 2.0s on a ton of hunts busting through lots of brush, hiking miles and mountain biking everywhere. They are still 100%. Really surprising though I didn't think merino was this tough. The original Kanabs I heard had more issues

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2017, 10:41:40 AM »
Kuiu outer garments, firstlite under layer= perfect!  Agree the unpronoucable puffy jacket is my favorite piece!
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2017, 11:30:31 AM »
The timberlines are probably a nice application specific piece but they are extremely heavy and I wont invest that kind of money into something I cant wear on almost any hunt. I think this is where Kuiu has advanced past Gore's quest to make money with better R&D into lightweight,versatile & durable pieces. I also have the first lite uncompahgre jacket and agree it is one of my favorite pieces. In the end it comes down to what fits your body and wallet the best. :twocents: :tup: :twocents:

I agree with you. Just an example for the sake of the price v. feature discussion. I'm not a brand specific fan. Really just a fan of the Sitka pants due to their tall sizes. I have Ascents and Mountain pants too. Used to have a pair of 90% pants but they were useless. Way too warm.

Offline davk

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA, GOA
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2017, 07:50:35 PM »
I havent had any issues using the First Lite warranty.  With that said the amount of gear I have had to send back has been frustrating.  If I didnt get a smoking good deal on all my gear I would be pissed.  Simple things from stitching falling apart to $400 rain jacket having seams that leak.  Sucks when you end up spending $50+ on returning products to be replaced.  All their stuff seems nice for the most part, but right now confidence is not something I really have in a lot of the gear pieces.  Waiting for more issues to pop up next year since I havent been in the field that much this year and have only worn some pieces once or twice.

Offline hogslayer

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: Bloody decks
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2017, 08:20:00 PM »
I am on promotive so have first lite a try.  I have hunted in there clothes for 5 years.  Still on my original set of Kanabs.  No holes or tears.  Had an issue with a seam leaking on rain paints.  They fixed it right away.  I wish there shirts would come in a large tall.  I have over 10 pieces of clothing.  Hunt about 15 days a year and hunt very hard and in all kinds of terrain. I like there clothing.  There isn't a company out there that produces hunting clothing that someone hasn't destroyed.  And it's all made over seas so there will be quality control here and there. 

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal