collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: First time solo backcountry hunt. Any tips?  (Read 9586 times)

Offline Deserthunter2016

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Tracker
  • Groups: NRA, Rokslide
First time solo backcountry hunt. Any tips?
« on: September 14, 2017, 08:28:02 PM »
Hey everyone,

I am planning my first solo backcountry high buck hunt next week. I've read a bunch of things on solo backpack hunts, but just wondering if anyone on here would have some good tips or advice that they have learned from their own experiences. I have scouted the area I am going into, and have a fair amount of experience backpacking and just being in the backcountry just never on my own. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: First time solo backcountry hunt. Any tips?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 08:31:41 PM »
After about three or four days without saying a word to anyone on the planet, don't get weirded out when you start talking to yourself.   :tup:

Offline FWilliams

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 09:58:38 PM »
with the summer we have had make sure you have reliable water sources mapped out....  I was in some country a couple of weeks ago and normal water sources were completely dried up....

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 05:38:12 AM »
Have you day hiked solo?

Doesn't sound like it to me, life in the back country solo is a whole different ball game.

Not trying to scare you off from it, but think all the worst case senerios that could happen. Broken leg/arm/hand/ankle,  sprained ankle , knee injury, sever knife/puncture wound, hypothermia, wounds caused by animal attack, self inflicted gun shot (don't laugh it happens), back injury, being pinned by some freak of nature tree/rock falling on you etc..

Now are you prepared to handle these things alone, do you have any first aid training, could you give yourself stitches, cut off your leg, or arm.

One thing I do when going solo is to add prescription pain killers to my first aid kit that I have saved from prior medical events.

Just some things to ponder, one can never truly be ready for every senerio that might happen, but thinking about them can help you be prepared if something happens. :twocents:

"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline Deserthunter2016

• Tracker
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 06:17:21 AM »
Thanks guys. I've done a lot of day hiking alone. Day scouting, short 1 day hunts for bear, etc. Just have not done any overnigters or multi day trips solo. I appreciate the tips, that's why I asked. I have first aide training from being a volunteer firefighter for 7 years. Everyone has to start somewhere, if we all let the fear keep us from doing things we love then we wouldn't do anything.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 07:56:51 AM »
Expect to be a bit nervous at night, for whatever reason not having a buddy completely changes the nights.  You also don't have anyone to push you and it is easier to bail out when you don't have to convince someone else.  Keep your mind in the game and commit to a certain number of days and know your mind will try to talk you out of it.

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, CBA
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 08:11:41 AM »
I've done it in the "long ago".  One bit of advise:   take a book.

Offline lord grizzly

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 09:06:58 AM »
Have you day hiked solo?

Doesn't sound like it to me, life in the back country solo is a whole different ball game.

Not trying to scare you off from it, but think all the worst case senerios that could happen. Broken leg/arm/hand/ankle,  sprained ankle , knee injury, sever knife/puncture wound, hypothermia, wounds caused by animal attack, self inflicted gun shot (don't laugh it happens), back injury, being pinned by some freak of nature tree/rock falling on you etc..

Now are you prepared to handle these things alone, do you have any first aid training, could you give yourself stitches, cut off your leg, or arm.

One thing I do when going solo is to add prescription pain killers to my first aid kit that I have saved from prior medical events.

Just some things to ponder, one can never truly be ready for every senerio that might happen, but thinking about them can help you be prepared if something happens. :twocents:

this one made me laugh. if you cant fix it with duct tape and blood clot your screwed any way. part of the deal.

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 09:42:49 AM »
Take a small second headlamp/light in your pack....nothing worse than having a headlamp break while returning to camp in the dark alone (yes, that happened to me once.....and the "flashlight" on phones can empty the battery fast).  And pack both a GPS function device, and a paper map and compass.....I've needed to use both before. 

And assume you'll be "temporarily lost" at some point.  Meaning you know the mountain range you're in, but have no clue where you're at or where camp is at that moment. it happens sometimes.  And sometimes the GPS can't find a location, and if you're in timber you don't have anything to get a visual fix on.  When I know I'm temporarily lost, I like to sit down and have a snack and relax before I even bother pulling out the GPS or compass/map.  Your worst enemy while solo is panic.

If on an extended trip (more than 3 days) solo, I like to take a morning off and sleep in around day 4 or 5.  Read a book and clear your mind all morning.  Taking a pause mid week to rest and recoup helps me when I'm out solo for a longer trip if the animals aren't where I thought they'd be.

Also, I leave and return to camp in the dark when hunting.   When with friends, we'll walk a few miles in the dark back to camp in the backcountry.  When I first started out solo backcountry years ago, I finished my evening hunts closer to camp to minimize risk.  As I've gotten more experienced I've stretched that out. 

I take less risks when solo.  Some really steep slopes I'll avoid.  Even then I've had my share of slides down a mountain miles from a road while solo and have been very lucky to avoid injury. Just be smart, take your time, and never rush.   I have  DeLorme now, so at least friends/family can follow the breadcrumbs if something happens to me (and I can push the SOS button if still conscious).

My  :twocents: ......

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2017, 10:08:01 AM »
Hey everyone,

I am planning my first solo backcountry high buck hunt next week. I've read a bunch of things on solo backpack hunts, but just wondering if anyone on here would have some good tips or advice that they have learned from their own experiences. I have scouted the area I am going into, and have a fair amount of experience backpacking and just being in the backcountry just never on my own. Thanks in advance!

Be sure that friends or family know where you are going and when to expect you back.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline acnewman55

• HWY 2 Hermit
  • Scout
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2017, 10:15:26 AM »
Expect to be a bit nervous at night, for whatever reason not having a buddy completely changes the nights.  You also don't have anyone to push you and it is easier to bail out when you don't have to convince someone else.  Keep your mind in the game and commit to a certain number of days and know your mind will try to talk you out of it.

This is my experience when solo hunting.  I don't fall asleep for hours.  Bring a book, listen to a podcast, etc.  I usually can't sleep safe in my own bed until 10:30. 

Alone, in the wilderness?  I don't fall asleep until midnight.

Mentally - the game is tougher for me.  Without the camaraderie of a partner, and without someone to watch my back.  It takes more effort to push myself.

I passed up a nice black bear a few weekends back that would have been my first bear.  Because I was alone, getting dark, and didn't like the prospect of a solo packout from where I was.  Regretted it the next day.

If I had a partner with me, I'd be eating bear stew tonight.

So be prepared for the mental battle.

Offline Deserthunter2016

• Tracker
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2017, 10:22:16 AM »
I have gps, delorme and maps/compass. Use them all. Plan on base camping and hunting out from there since it's my first solo trip. But I am willing to pack up camp and move if the animals aren't in that area. Have good primary and secondary water sources scouted and mapped. Safety is always my first priority even more so since I am alone on this trip.

Looking at the change in weather this next week that may be a concern, but I have clothing and gear to accommodate for it.

I'm looking forward to the experience.

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2017, 10:52:37 AM »
Hey everyone,

Be sure that friends or family know where you are going and when to expect you back.

:yeah:

I have 3 maps when I do back country hunts.  I have one in my pack, one I leave with my wife at home so she knows exactly what my planned route is (Of course I'll deviate for animals but that'll give SAR a good starting point), and I leave a copy the map my wife has under my windshield wiper with a note of when I intend to be back. 

I'm not a huge fan of doing this last one but I decided after I had kids that my safety was far more important than the chance of someone ruining "my areas".  Most people won't hunt the back areas I like to get into so I haven't had any issues yet.  And it's worked out twice now that I was able to park my truck in another hunters camp that I know, so I could be confident that they wouldn't come out to my area because I knew them.

Offline BD1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2017, 11:53:28 AM »
It sounds to me that you have it pretty dialed in. My father in law is a hardcore solo backcountry hiker (I am not). His list would mimic yours and most of the other comments. He never goes without a book. Enjoy your trip and post up your experience when you return...good luck  :tup:

Offline j_h_nimrod

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2017, 01:25:46 PM »
I have been going solo for well over 20 years and love the solitude. I like going with friends, but I always have the trip I want to have going solo. Certainly keep safety in mind but don't let tales of the boogeyman or killer bears (cougars, wolves, marmots, etc.) worry you.  Always bring a book or something to occupy the dark hours. Have confidence in your abilities but don't be cocky and over estimate your experience. Enjoy your time and tell us how it goes.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal