collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Helicopter flying in clients for high hunt gpw  (Read 15984 times)

Offline R2Rcoulee

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Re: Helicopter flying in clients for high hunt gpw
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2017, 04:15:39 PM »
I like Alaska's stance on helicopters for hunting, not allowed in any way, shape, or form.

Hard to say what they were doing, but it is hard to imagine most commercial outfits risking federal prosecution to fly a couple lazy hunters to their camp. There is the possibility of flying to a few bastions of patent land but they would not support enough groups very close to touchdown to make it worthwhile if you are flying in guys willing to pay an absolute minimum of $30 a minute for a flight.
:yeah:
Right now I'm doing a project in Oregon for the USFS. I met with the helicopter company that's transporting material for us & talked to them about this. He agreed with your statement that it would be crazy for a helicopter company to fly guys into a designated wilderness for hunting. So they had to be going into a private claim. He also confirmed that helicopter companies just can't take wild game out of the USFS unless it's out of an airstrip.

Offline zwickeyman

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2017, 12:48:20 PM »
I looked into being Helo'd into a Wilderness that packers no longer go. Not one outfit I tried could get permission from the Forest Service to do it. My case any way

And I asked about not actually landing, just hovering and me jumping out with my gear and walking out too. Like Bone said, better to walk in and get picked up to get out. Couldn't get that done either
The mountains are calling and I must go

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2017, 07:21:15 PM »
Thursday was an interesting day at trinity. Helicopters flying clients in for the high hunt all day. Anyone know who was flying them in? Very interesting. I heard the last flight around 2 pm. We're these clients waiting 24 hours befor hunting? Did they land in the wilderness? I had no service to call the local authorities to check it out. Didn't seem right to me. Did anyone else see this?

I would bet a lot of money(if I was a betting man) that they were not airlifting hunters into an area.... :twocents:

Offline Knocker of rocks

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2017, 09:54:28 PM »
I looked into being Helo'd into a Wilderness that packers no longer go. Not one outfit I tried could get permission from the Forest Service to do it. My case any way

And I asked about not actually landing, just hovering and me jumping out with my gear and walking out too.

Both are illegal.  It's not something the USFS can grant.  They got in trouble for allowing helicopters to help in the Green Mountain lookout restoration, allowing Chelan county to access their snow depth sites inside the GPW, and allowing government biologists to do their thing in an Idaho wilderness.

A helicopter company has about as much chance of getting a permit for a purely commercial/recreational landing as I do of french kissing Melania

Offline Jason

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2017, 05:51:58 AM »
I was in the GPW opening weekend of the high hunt. I didn't hear or see any helo's and I asked my two hunting buddies and the didn't hear or see any either. But, the two jets on Friday we're freaking awesome! Both came down into our basin, one of them came over the ridge and into our basin inverted  :tup: :tup:

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2017, 05:53:29 AM »
Only because the Tree Hugging groups challenged the Green Mountain lookout restoration.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Knocker of rocks

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2017, 08:09:37 AM »
Only because the Tree Hugging groups challenged the Green Mountain lookout restoration.

Group, not groups.

Wilderness Watch was all alone in this.

But none of that changes the fact that there is no way a permit for landing would be issued for commercial recreational use.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]