collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: is this an illegal treestand?  (Read 15014 times)

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
Re: is this an illegal treestand?
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2017, 06:25:53 PM »
Nice stand. I'd sure like to stumble into it during a severe rain/snow storm.
:yeah:   And my opinion on what happens if I'm sitting in a stand like that and the guy that built it comes by, I'll gladly get out and find my own area to hunt.  I wouldn't give the guy grief. I think too many people just don't mind their own business.  Just like guys who report cabins in the wilderness that are pretty damn neat to find, don't be a prude and just move on.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Pegasus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2017, 06:41:48 PM »
This what Tannerite was invented for. After the hunting season some enterprising vigilante can blow it to smithereens and upload the video to youtube and make a fortune on the views. Just make sure to pick up the pieces. Doing God's work, one day at a time.

Tannerite is illegal in this state. Have no clue why they sell it. It's like expandable broadheads were before last yr or whatever it was.

I would appreciate the law that prohibits Tannerite. Every time I go to Sportco they are selling it.

Offline Tinmaniac

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2017, 06:53:44 PM »
If I find something on public land that is not supposed to be there it just became my business.The fault is upon the person who builds these things not those who find it.Just follow the rules and the problem is solved,pretty simple.

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Loser's Lounge - Lifetime Member
« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2017, 07:54:21 PM »
Nice stand. I'd sure like to stumble into it during a severe rain/snow storm.
:yeah:   And my opinion on what happens if I'm sitting in a stand like that and the guy that built it comes by, I'll gladly get out and find my own area to hunt.  I wouldn't give the guy grief. I think too many people just don't mind their own business.  Just like guys who report cabins in the wilderness that are pretty damn neat to find, don't be a prude and just move on.

I partly agree with you on this, but where would you draw the line?  cabins are pretty cool to find, especially old ones, but this is far from a cool cabin in the middle of no where. 
I would most likely leave it be and not report it, it's possible that it's temporary, but I know of plenty of old rotten stands that are now just an eye soar as well as dangerous.
What about the mt bikers diggin trails all over the bumping?  They have as much right as I do to use the land, but should they be allowed to dig trails and build ramps, jumps, etc thru public property?  I'm inclined to say no, and the law would agree with me.

Offline MAVsled

• MAV-HNTR
  • Scout
    • https://www.facebook.com/MavHntr
    • MAV's Outdoor Adventures
« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2017, 08:23:26 PM »
update:

USFS drove and stopped by my friends camp. Ranger talked about giving out tickets to those ATV-ing into the 1502 closed road area, down the road quite a ways from Timberwolf turnoff.
Friend mentioned the treestand. USFS ranger asked him to show the location. They went and USFS logged coordinates via GPS. Back at USFS vehicle, got on his computer and made an official report.
USFS enforcement will monitor this site during muzzle and modern seasons, hoping to catch user.
but the stand will come down, at the hands of the ranger personally (chain saw).

YES, ranger verified it is illegal to build and permanent stand on national forest lands, open to the public. And if caught using a permanent stand, a hefty fine too.

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2017, 08:28:35 PM »
I am betting right now that the FS will do nothing.

I doubt they have the time, funds or staff to spend on removing all the blinds and crappers out there.

Well I lost that bet I guess.
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2017, 08:35:15 PM »
This what Tannerite was invented for. After the hunting season some enterprising vigilante can blow it to smithereens and upload the video to youtube and make a fortune on the views. Just make sure to pick up the pieces. Doing God's work, one day at a time.

Tannerite is illegal in this state. Have no clue why they sell it. It's like expandable broadheads were before last yr or whatever it was.

I would appreciate the law that prohibits Tannerite. Every time I go to Sportco they are selling it.

I'm pretty sure it's legal. Last month at my daughter's hunter education class they had all the students shooting the stuff and there were some BIG explosions.   :tup:   :chuckle:

It may be illegal on public land. But other than that I don't think there's any law against it.

Offline Blacktail Sniper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Kill'em all...let the gravy sort'em out!!!
  • Groups: blacktail sniper
« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2017, 08:39:11 PM »
update:

USFS drove and stopped by my friends camp. Ranger talked about giving out tickets to those ATV-ing into the 1502 closed road area, down the road quite a ways from Timberwolf turnoff.
Friend mentioned the treestand. USFS ranger asked him to show the location. They went and USFS logged coordinates via GPS. Back at USFS vehicle, got on his computer and made an official report.
USFS enforcement will monitor this site during muzzle and modern seasons, hoping to catch user.
but the stand will come down, at the hands of the ranger personally (chain saw).

YES, ranger verified it is illegal to build and permanent stand on national forest lands, open to the public. And if caught using a permanent stand, a hefty fine too.

If the builder is a member on here, probably won't go anywhere near that stand now!

:chuckle:
It is better to be consistently incorrect than inconsistently correct...

Sarcasm: The ability to insult stupid people without them realizing it. 

My level of sarcasm depends on your level of stupidity...

Sarcasm makes smart people laugh and stupid people mad.

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2017, 09:10:36 PM »
I'm pretty sure it's legal. Last month at my daughter's hunter education class they had all the students shooting the stuff and there were some BIG explosions.   :tup:   :chuckle:

It may be illegal on public land. But other than that I don't think there's any law against it.
The "closed season" is April 15-October 15

RCW 76.04.455
Discarding lighted material or smoking flammable material—Discharge, release, or detonation of certain materials—Receptacles in conveyances—Posting a copy of this section.

(1)(a) Except as otherwise provided in this subsection, it is unlawful for any person to, during the closed season:

(i) Discard any lighted tobacco, cigars, cigarettes, matches, fireworks, charcoal, or other lighted material, discharge any incendiary ammunition, release a sky lantern, or detonate an exploding target on or over any forest, brush, range, or grain areas; or

(ii) Smoke any flammable material when in forest or brush areas except on roads, cleared landings, gravel pits, or any similar area free of flammable material.

(b) The prohibitions contained in this subsection do not apply to the detonation of nonflammable exploding targets on any forest, brush, range, or grain areas if the person detonating the nonflammable exploding target:

(i) Has lawful possession and control of the land in question; or

(ii) Has prior written permission for the activity from the person who owns or has lawful possession and control of the land in question.

(c) The prohibitions contained in this subsection do not apply to suppression actions authorized or conducted by the department under the authority of this chapter.

(2)(a) Except as otherwise provided in this subsection, it is unlawful for any person to, during any time outside of the closed season, discharge any incendiary ammunition, release a sky lantern, or detonate an exploding target on or over any forest, brush, range, or grain areas.

(b) The prohibitions contained in this subsection do not apply if the person conducting the otherwise prohibited action:

(i) Has lawful possession and control of the land in question; or

(ii) Has prior written permission for the activity from the person who owns or has lawful possession and control of the land in question.

Offline j_h_nimrod

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #69 on: September 20, 2017, 10:02:15 PM »
I remember a thread from not so long back where a guy was pissed when someone "stole" his tree stand that he left permanently on public land. The general consensus was shock and outrage that someone would steal a tree stand that was admittedly left permanently on public land. No one mentioned that someone might have just been cleaning abandoned junk out of the woods. I would support the removal of some old junker steel stand over a nice (albeit terribly painted and camouflaged blind) that someone obviously spent time and effort constructing.

I know where a couple pirate cabins are on USFS land that I would never report. Too cool to find them and know where they are. Never know when they may come in handy or be useful for an odd season trip.

Offline SGTDuffman

• Scout
« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2017, 10:09:55 PM »
Bigtex already covered some of it, but it's listed in several places. Here's another law.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=332-52-145

WAC 332-52-145

(b) Unauthorized targets include but are not limited to:
(i) Natural features, except earthen berms or banks used as backstops for target shooting;
(ii) Vegetation;
(iii) Structures;
(iv) Gates;
(v) Vehicles;
(vi) Signs;
(vii) Other department improvements;
(viii) Appliances;
(ix) Furniture;
(x) Glass;
(xi) Privately owned or occupied structures;
(xii) Pets, service animals or livestock;
(xiii) Wildlife;
(xiv) Explosive and incendiary items;

And a USFS bulletin.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5428172.pdf

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2017, 10:21:05 PM »
Bigtex already covered some of it, but it's listed in several places. Here's another law.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=332-52-145

WAC 332-52-145

(b) Unauthorized targets include but are not limited to:
(i) Natural features, except earthen berms or banks used as backstops for target shooting;
(ii) Vegetation;
(iii) Structures;
(iv) Gates;
(v) Vehicles;
(vi) Signs;
(vii) Other department improvements;
(viii) Appliances;
(ix) Furniture;
(x) Glass;
(xi) Privately owned or occupied structures;
(xii) Pets, service animals or livestock;
(xiii) Wildlife;
(xiv) Explosive and incendiary items;

And a USFS bulletin.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5428172.pdf

Those laws you're referencing are for on public lands. Doesn't say the stuff isn't legal to use in the state of Washington.

Offline winshooter88

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #72 on: September 20, 2017, 11:56:55 PM »

Pegasus, Lots of stores sell things that are illegal for use in Washington state, (like illuminated bow sights), just because it is sold in this state does not make it legal to use on public ground. If Tannerite explodes with a flash that could start a fire then it is illegal to use on public land in this state, (refer to Bigtex's post in this thread).

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2017, 05:49:45 AM »
Back to the OP
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #74 on: September 21, 2017, 06:23:28 AM »
If I find something on public land that is not supposed to be there it just became my business.The fault is upon the person who builds these things not those who find it.Just follow the rules and the problem is solved,pretty simple.
It's not like this is a poaching ring, it's just a tree stand.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand