collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New Guy here coming in from Alaska  (Read 4347 times)

Offline Spruce_Stalker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
    • https://www.facebook.com/daniel.hirschberg.98
New Guy here coming in from Alaska
« on: September 19, 2017, 09:37:47 PM »
I'm looking forward to what appears to be decent squirrel hunting down in Clallam county. I've been pegging them and spruce grouse in my area up in Alaska with a .25cal airgun for years now-but it appears my airgun presently will only be legal for the tree rats. anyway Hi nice to meet you guys. One curiosity-do any of you get involved in pest or nuisance animal control in WA?  I'm going to be in a bit different of a world compared to the regs I'm accustomed to. Thanks.

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
Re: New Guy here coming in from Alaska
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 07:32:05 AM »
Welcome to the site!

I wish I had more info to give you to your question but ......... I'd reach out to some of the trappers as they may have more insight.

:tup:
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline Jerry malbeck

• Scout
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 08:21:04 PM »
I was a NWCO for WA state for several years, They imposed so many regs on us that i opted out. No leg hold or body gripping traps without special permits and a ton of paper work. I doubt you will be interested. Also no dogs allowed for coyote control. Best of luck to you.

Love many
Trust few
Wrong None

Offline Spruce_Stalker

• Pilgrim
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 12:22:54 AM »
I was a NWCO for WA state for several years, They imposed so many regs on us that i opted out. No leg hold or body gripping traps without special permits and a ton of paper work. I doubt you will be interested. Also no dogs allowed for coyote control. Best of luck to you.

I'll be honest; when I first went hunting for squirrel in AK, which was actually well into my lifelong time here, I came back emptyhanded and talked to a fantastic State Park Ranger when he asked me what I was hunting I said squirrels, and under hunting there was no open season whereas the rest of the state was no closed no limit. After dodging a bullet by not being in possession, he discovered some obscure point in the law that I was unaware of-he asked me if I had a trapping license on me, which incidentally for the first in 20+ years I held a trapping license, I did. Ultimately he said I was able to hunt squirrel under a trapping license because the "means and methods' specifically for the purpose of humane dispatch, includes a rifle...point being, that alone gives me a headache thinking about how convoluted a process it is for me just to say that what I'm doing in the woods, with an airgun, to squirrels specifically, is legal in the state of Alaska, where I am moving from. My father has griped since his move from AK to WA a few years ago, about the regs being a good deal more complex.  I suppose you're right man, I doubt I would be interested in giving fingernail clippings and my undeerpants size to use a conibair in the wild.

Too many housecats running around the wilds of WA eh? It's ok Alaska has it's drawbacks too-places I used to hunt as a child I now see a thousand child-minded doing stupid things I won't repeat, while jostling for positions in the field with regard to the animals, with some outright aggressive behavior toward other hunters.

Offline optic2

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
  • Groups: 2AF, FPC, GOA, BHA, RMEF
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 04:14:27 AM »
I'm looking forward to what appears to be decent squirrel hunting down in Clallam county. I've been pegging them and spruce grouse in my area up in Alaska with a .25cal airgun for years now-but it appears my airgun presently will only be legal for the tree rats. anyway Hi nice to meet you guys. One curiosity-do any of you get involved in pest or nuisance animal control in WA?  I'm going to be in a bit different of a world compared to the regs I'm accustomed to. Thanks.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/conservation/gray_squirrel/

I don't think there are any squirrels you can legally hunt in Clallam county.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 05:37:15 AM »
Its not too late to change your mind.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Spruce_Stalker

• Pilgrim
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 01:29:24 PM »
Its not too late to change your mind.

haha too right eh? Alaska is the most beautiful place on earth, but it is a brutal mistress, and currently the economy is in a terrible place. I have looked for various jobs, but those jobs have been taken by unemployed oil company executives. (I joke) but seriously, I've noticed that the quality of pizza delivery vehicles has gone way up the past two or three years.

Offline Spruce_Stalker

• Pilgrim
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 01:30:55 PM »

I was under the impression that squirrel (I gun usually for reds) was harvestable/huntable under "other game".  I'm hunting with a .25cal airgun, which makes it even more dicey. Any additional resource I'd be glad to receive.

Offline optic2

• Scout
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 02:16:54 PM »

I was under the impression that squirrel (I gun usually for reds) was harvestable/huntable under "other game".  I'm hunting with a .25cal airgun, which makes it even more dicey. Any additional resource I'd be glad to receive.

Read through that link, it tells you which species you can hunt and also shows you distribution maps for different squirrel species.

Offline Spruce_Stalker

• Pilgrim
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 07:14:02 PM »

Read through that link, it tells you which species you can hunt and also shows you distribution maps for different squirrel species.

Wow I just lost all desire to move there.

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2017, 07:27:23 AM »
Collared doves and starlings can keep your airgun busy, welcome to Washington?

Offline Spruce_Stalker

• Pilgrim
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2017, 10:36:21 PM »

so I have to ask, if I want to park at a trailhead in WA, and just walk into the woods or mountains with my pack and tent...and come back to my truck after 2 or 3 nights....what happens? In Alaska, as long as my vehicle looks alaskan, with hiking gear in the back and I'm obviously a resident, I haven't had to pay park access fees in 20 years. Obviously I expect greater enforcement on parking fees...but will I have trouble finding a place to just disappear into the wilderness for awhile?

Offline HuntnFishnRyan

• Tracker
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2017, 10:48:31 PM »

so I have to ask, if I want to park at a trailhead in WA, and just walk into the woods or mountains with my pack and tent...and come back to my truck after 2 or 3 nights....what happens? In Alaska, as long as my vehicle looks alaskan, with hiking gear in the back and I'm obviously a resident, I haven't had to pay park access fees in 20 years. Obviously I expect greater enforcement on parking fees...but will I have trouble finding a place to just disappear into the wilderness for awhile?

possibly a broken window and stolen items. No seriously we got BLM, state land, federal land, DNR land here. All different rules for overnight camping. I would say its pretty well enforced especially in western wa. They are just itching to pass out tickets and raise a little revenue for the state coffers. Clallam county has a high suicide rate as well. Just an FYI.

Offline optic2

• Scout
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2017, 05:02:36 AM »

For state lands (DNR, state parks) you'll need a discover pass(http://discoverpass.wa.gov/). For all federal lands I suggest getting a interagency annual pass (https://www.fs.fed.us/visit/passes-permits/recreation-fees-passes), it will be good or all federal lands (USFS, NPS, BLM, etc...).

NO HUNTING ALLOWED IN NATIONAL OR STATE PARKS.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2017, 07:55:24 AM »

You'll have plenty of opportunity to escape into the woods in Clallam and Jefferson counties.  The vehicle should be fine as long as it isn't in a tweeker hotspot (Duckabush River Trailhead for example) or along a busy road (the 101 beach parking lots).  You only have to pay for forest circus if you park in the improved 'fee' area, otherwise you can park in the pull outs right at the edge.  Discover Pass would be a good idea to go to DNR land to escape other humans.  As for airgun hunting, probably not much in the woods.  The fields around the east part of the county might have the most pests like collared dove.  I'd look at a small game license and a .22 and then you have bobcat, grouse, coyote, rabbit, coon?, etc.  Or go .223 and get a cougar license.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Yesterday at 09:12:44 PM]