collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hunting research based on online forums....  (Read 1377 times)

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
Hunting research based on online forums....
« on: September 21, 2017, 06:47:19 AM »
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/wsb.796/full

I saw an article about this in TWS periodical, but figured I would post the original research.  Somewhat clear slant.

Although, I do think most people that sit down to write a hunting story online do so after killing an animal, I suspect >75% of my stories (generally rambling without an obvious start/finish... ) have more to do with fun or interesting parts of a hunt.  Most of the time, I wouldn't post a story that gets into the minutia, but would share the successful part.  I save the minutia for stories around a campfire or over a beer.

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
Re: Hunting research based on online forums....
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 07:09:23 AM »
I just read that whole thing. Pretty interesting how we translate our hunts on social media. Kind of s square peg in a round hole sometimes
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 07:14:00 AM »
Most of us don't have the ability to properly translate our feelings and memories into words on paper. I'm working on a write up right now that I've been working on for a couple of months, and I often go back and change things.

The social media aspect is also a challenge. We all want to appear successful, especially when it comes down to hunting. Call it male ego, or what have you, but its been engrained in us since the beginning of time that successful hunters are providers and more desirable.

I believe a little humbleness goes a lot further most of the time, and I've been trying to practice that.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 10:46:36 AM »
Great read thankful for sharing!
Cool new use of technology to get an insight as to how a group of people feel on a subject. This studies method will translate to lots of other subjects.

A lot can be learned from this study but it's limitation fall into the self reporting nature of forums, and the nature of those whom write the posts. One other area is the vast difference in hunting carnivore and insulates. I'm not sure the researcher really appreciate the difference in how hunters view the 2 categories. Lumping bear and cougar with coyotes and wolves has its issues. The ability to run holds on black bears and cougar is the only "non consumptive" (potentially) form of hunting where a hunter could enjoy the hunt, it mostly be sucessful and not kill anything. 

The best part of hunting wolves and coyotes is killing them. The kind of happiness is way different than a nice hunt harvesting a big boar or Tom. 2c
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal