collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hunting rig help  (Read 3656 times)

Offline cohochemist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Re: Hunting rig help
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2017, 05:34:02 PM »
This is great! I won't worry about spending more $$$ on this trip.  Back in Nebraska my hunting grounds were about 30min from UNL campus. One year we got a nice buck early in the morning but had class around 10. It was cold enough that day we just got him field dressed, packed in my old s10 pick up and went to class in my camo.  Not uncommon back home, but wouldnt think about pulling up to UW campus with an elk in the back!

Offline BNAElkhntr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: Life member NRA, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, SCI
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2017, 07:13:56 PM »
A buddy of mine shot a decent bear up in Greenwater in mid 80"s put in the front of a Volkswagen Beatle   it can be done

Offline BNAElkhntr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2017, 07:18:40 PM »

Late 1970,s I saw the tips of antlers in the back seat of a Honda civic while gassing up over east during deer season. I peaked over to see and there was a blue tarp covering a "pile" of something with antlers? The hunters were inside the station, they came out and walked towards the car dressed in "huntin garb", Filson, Carharts, Stormy cromers etc.(not a lot of camo back then) :chuckle: .I asked them what was under the tarp in their back seat, they said do you want to see, I said yes, THE TWO 18YEAR OLD GIRLS (one was home coming queen from that year and the other would be leaving for the U. of Hawaii to play volley ball) pulled the tarp back and under was the heads of two dandy mule deer bucks :chuckle: . Both 4 by 4,s, one 27" and the other 28. The girls had graduated that year from a highschool on the west side and the parents of one of the girls had got her and a friend a guided hunt somewhere around Tonasket with an outfitter for a graduation present! They shot both deer on the same day, the bucks were both bedded under a rock bluff about 10 yards apart, used the "shoot on 3" method and killed them both in their beds :tup: .....Oh the good old days :tup:

Did you get their Number? 

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2017, 08:06:53 PM »

Late 1970,s I saw the tips of antlers in the back seat of a Honda civic while gassing up over east during deer season. I peaked over to see and there was a blue tarp covering a "pile" of something with antlers? The hunters were inside the station, they came out and walked towards the car dressed in "huntin garb", Filson, Carharts, Stormy cromers etc.(not a lot of camo back then) :chuckle: .I asked them what was under the tarp in their back seat, they said do you want to see, I said yes, THE TWO 18YEAR OLD GIRLS (one was home coming queen from that year and the other would be leaving for the U. of Hawaii to play volley ball) pulled the tarp back and under was the heads of two dandy mule deer bucks :chuckle: . Both 4 by 4,s, one 27" and the other 28. The girls had graduated that year from a highschool on the west side and the parents of one of the girls had got her and a friend a guided hunt somewhere around Tonasket with an outfitter for a graduation present! They shot both deer on the same day, the bucks were both bedded under a rock bluff about 10 yards apart, used the "shoot on 3" method and killed them both in their beds :tup: .....Oh the good old days :tup:

:chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:..No , I was 21 at the time and was just married to the love of my life about 3 weeks prior, now she's upset once in awhile because our anniversary is right during deer season because of the way the seasons have been jacked around. The darn Game Dept. has darn near caused a bunch of divorces over the adjustment to deer season :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2017, 08:19:41 PM »
I gotta say I'm a big fan. Of both subarues an jeep Cherokee.

I think a guy needs a truck but a hunting rig can be different than a truck. 2c
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline NW SURVEYOR

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • Groups: RMEF NRA
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2017, 05:52:09 AM »
I used to hunt elk and deer out of my 69 and 70 VW Squarebacks.
No problem as long as you didn't drive to fast on the logging roads.
We put a lot of meat in those rigs.
I've owner three when I was younger and had time to work on them all the time.
Also had a partner that drove a Datsun B-10, likewise, we stuffed a few critters in that as well.

Like dad said, "Shoot the critter first, then worry about getting them out".
While a little short sighted, it got me in the field no matter what I had for wheels.

Good Luck.
Rob.

Offline BNAElkhntr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2017, 06:46:16 AM »

:chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: ..No , I was 21 at the time and was just married to the love of my life about 3 weeks prior, now she's upset once in awhile because our anniversary is right during deer season because of the way the seasons have been jacked around. The darn Game Dept. has darn near caused a bunch of divorces over the adjustment to deer season :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

That is the Reason My Anniversary is Sept 10th as a rifle Hunter no Hunting season infringement!!

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2017, 07:19:31 AM »
Had seven people and a spike in my FJ 40 many years ago, sub will be fine

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter