collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: The spice of life  (Read 4618 times)

Offline cryder

• relic01
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • elk down
The spice of life
« on: September 22, 2017, 05:13:17 AM »
Variety being the spice of life , I'm purchasing a muzzleloader , and have zero experience with these things , I'm not stupid , or at least I believe , I need some good advice on purchase ideas , I'm the up close hunter being a bow hunter so I'm not planning on long shots at critters so that in mind what's your suggestions , also have a new 45 cal.henry for sale to cover my new adventure
loction location location ! perzackly !

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Re: The spice of life
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 05:28:24 AM »
Welcome to the dark side Cryder.  I would not get the vortek Strikefire NW edition.  Use triple 7 loose powder. 
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 08:47:45 AM by Magnum_Willys »

Offline cryder

• relic01
  • Longhunter
  • elk down
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 05:41:05 AM »
That's not adding up on my yoogler already you have lost me is that a rifle your not recommending and some kind of powder problem ??🤓

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 05:47:01 AM »
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline lee

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 08:03:09 AM »
That's not adding up on my yoogler already you have lost me is that a rifle your not recommending and some kind of powder problem ??🤓

Yes and Yes... The Vortek is a rifle.  Triple 7 is a very popular black powder substitute. It comes in a "Loose" form (granular) or can be purchased in Pellet form. I use the loose form also as I seem to get better ignition over pellets

Lee

Offline MountainDevil54

• Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 08:11:13 AM »
If close up and personal is your thing, I highly suggest a TRADITIONAL muzzleloader. I use my traditions st.louis hawken this year with patched round ball and I never once felt under gunned.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 08:49:10 AM »
Sorry meant stay away from vortek strikefire rifle model - has ignition issues for many.   

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 08:54:22 AM »
I'm loving my Knight Bighorn

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 08:55:26 AM »
Here you go, this is the one I have. :

https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/rifles/cva-optimatm-v2-northwest-legal.html

Easiest muzzleloader ever to take apart and clean. No tools required.

Offline superdown

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2017, 09:00:09 AM »
Knight Bighorn simple and reliable doesn't have any of the issues that some of the other muzzy's have.In over seven years of shooting mine i have not found anything it won't shoot whether it be pellet or powder full size conical's,power belt's to round balls and sabots.It's also not choosy about no.11's or musket caps.

Offline cryder

• relic01
  • Longhunter
  • elk down
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2017, 09:18:19 AM »
wow ! lots to learn here , SABOTS ? is that short for black sabath fans ? , conicals ? 11`S , MUSKET CAPS,? I realy don't wanna have some copinsation driven sales diplomat try to sell "r" exsplain stuff but I geuss I should at least encourage some fool and make the next time he looks at the numbers on his fone to see what time it is so he can feel that much more closer to getting back to his real life . ( I geuss ? ) Ispose all info will be helpful , all I need now is someone to fire the thing first shot so I can get out of the jeep.  Scope ? are you kidding me! ill never try it or buy it , I consider myself a good creeper soooo .... :IBCOOL: :IBCOOL: :dunno:

Offline arees

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF, SCI, NRA
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2017, 09:42:33 AM »
My son has a CVA wolf that is Northwest legal, uses musket caps, and is really great except one thing.  The flash hole constantly plugs no matter how much time we spend picking it out.  I have both an old version of the breech plug and a new version and neither works well.  I have bored out the flash hole on one and that has helped a lot, but I don't recommend that approach.
We need a crusade for the children, a children's crusade.

Offline reelamin

• Hunter
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2017, 10:12:45 PM »
I went with the Bighorn 50 and swapped out a #11 nipple.  I prefer the thumbhole stock, stainless Steel, and lots of well designed aftermarket add on items with proven history.
The CVA optima is a great choice also and less expensive.  Lots of good help on here and do some searching.  Sabotloader has unbelievable experience and good information.   One of the best things he showed me is get rid of the grease and use Teflon Plumbers tape on your breach plug and tighten it in not just snug.  Comes right out, never sticks even after 50-60 rounds. 

Set your expectation reasonbly on performance and they will be close.  Don't expect a basic rifle to shoot half inch groups at 100yds, but if you get one that does hang onto it.  My bighorn shoots right at 1.5" 100yd groups.  Bedding the action did not improve it's best accuracy, but definitely improved the groups across the board on all loads.   Use JB Weld for bedding...way easier than any of the "bedding compounds" and a fraction of the cost.   

I did not draw a tag so put mine up the last few months because I was too busy.   Will break it out again this winter and get it fully finalized.  I'm shooting Barnes now with the best accuracy and some Hard Cast pistol bullets in Sabot's for practice.  I am also using Triple 7 in 3f powder and windex wipe the barrel between shots on the range.   I have been using CCI #11Mag caps for practice and wills use RWS #1075 mags for hunting.  Just a fraction hotter according to the chronograph.   I can shoot all day long this way without having to clean it using windex.  (Thanks Sabotloader!!)

Offline cryder

• relic01
  • Longhunter
  • elk down
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2017, 04:36:36 AM »
Jeeeeeze ! Again with the I've got a lot to learn ! Optima was what I was looking at for a beginner , so I must have learned something already ! Thanks much I'll read that stuff 20 more times when I understand I'll get back to you.

Offline cryder

• relic01
  • Longhunter
  • elk down
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2017, 04:41:34 AM »
So Windex to clean powder n stuff out of the Barrell every time ? My first of several questions ,,, I'm sure probly making my purchase today , in Spokane , any info on the place to go ?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal