collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: any thoughts/input on my hunt plans  (Read 1420 times)

Offline Night goat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
any thoughts/input on my hunt plans
« on: October 01, 2017, 03:23:35 PM »
hey guys, I'm gonna go out for deer this year

I live near Anacortes and have usually just poked around the local woods with a shotgun or revolver in hopes of whacking a local deer, and while ive gotten tags for the last few years, ive never gotten anything. met a girl who is just as determined to get one this year as I am, and we are gonna go for it, except, as mentioned ive never done more deer hunting than harassing the local population, but, every year I go to the Barterfaire party in Tonasket, and that just happens to be during deer season, so we figure we will take a few days off work, and leave the hideout like Wednesday the 18th after work and crash somewhere for a few hours at the base of the pass, and hit the pass before sun up and catch a north cascades sunrise. 

my first question is.... so, I'm goin down the road, up in the mountains, way up on the pass, and see a deer run across the road. obviously I'm not going to shoot at it from the road, but, would I get busted of I pulled over, grabbed my gun, and headed into the woods from the point it went in, and once safely past the road/legal safe distance I go for it? I mean, I know that sounds bad, but... it is up in the mountains.... and not like the highway through duval or Monroe, or even stevens pass... id rather ask than be an idiot and get busted

anyway, the ultimate plan is  to get into Winthrop super early and head up Baldy pass over to Conconully, and take our time glassing those hills and some of the areas around conconully and ultimately get back on the main road and head over to Tonasket by late Friday afternoon for the Barterfaire, and leave early sunday morning and try to maybe get a few hours hunt in before having to call it quits and go back to the island.... 

previously been up baldy pass a few times in the spring and kind of know what to expect, but id bet it is gonna be pretty saturated in orange the 2nd weekend of the season, but figure it still might be worth the attempt.....

I spent the entire summer up in Alaska eating moose and deer all summer, and ill be damned if I don't get some of that goodness in the freezer...

I would love some input on this, the whole idea is to take a few extra days to get to Tonasket and find something along the way, but, definatley don't want to do this the wrong way, id love to hear the flaws, the better ways, just any advice on how to do this right

thanks

Offline Wingin it

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
Re: any thoughts/input on my hunt plans
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 03:58:45 PM »
If we get weather by the 2nd weekend it could be an interesting drive over Baldy so just be aware of that. There are deer scattered all through that country but they have taken a big hit the last few years with fires and last winters weather. You may see some deer and you may not see anything at all but that's hunting. Don't discount the area around Barter Faire either. There is some decent hunting in the surrounding country there too.

Offline singleshot12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 04:01:47 PM »
The harder earned the better you'll feel about yourself and that hunt will stand out forever in your memory.

Just listen to what God tells you what to do and where to go and you and your S/O will have a very successful and memorable hunt  :tup:.
NATURE HAS A WAY

"All good things must come to an end"

SEARCHING FOR TRUTH, SEARCHING FOR PURITY, something that doesn't really exist anymore..

Offline Wingin it

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 04:02:53 PM »
Everything I said above aside I think it is going to be a tuff year and you'll have to be pretty lucky to connect.

Offline ghosthunter

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 05:14:31 PM »
Know where you are at going over the pass. Some of that country is in the National Park.

Watch for Deer going down the other side around the Silver Star gate.

Good luck.
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Night goat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 08:14:06 PM »
okay, yeah, sounds like if its meant to be, its meant to be, I got a gun, a truck, some coolers, and a pair of binos, and a tent, sounds like I just gotta do it

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 08:53:42 PM »
okay, yeah, sounds like if its meant to be, its meant to be, I got a gun, a truck, some coolers, and a pair of binos, and a tent, sounds like I just gotta do it
Haha, that's pretty much how I feel.  I have the things.  And I just do my best. 

As for your question about the road, I don't think there's anything illegal about your scenario (assuming you parked in a legal spot).  I can't imagine your odds are very good of finding that deer after it jumps across the road though... 

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 09:00:02 PM »
Go out on a rainy Halloween Morning and you are almost guaranteed of getting a shot.  Best day of the year in the NW.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]