collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: How much cooler space to bring home antelope?!  (Read 9006 times)

Offline syoungs

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
How much cooler space to bring home antelope?!
« on: September 25, 2017, 10:33:42 PM »
So I'm trying to get away from dragging a freezer and trailer to Wyoming next week, and just want to make sure I'm packing enough cooler space to replace it.

We have 10 tags in our group now, with the possibility of 2 more.
All animals will be boned out, some fully processed possibly. Were hanging them in a cooler, and possibly freezing some. Plan to use dry ice in the coolers.

Right now I've got 2 large coolers, a 100qt, and a 120qt.
I assume that'll be more then enough, figure the 120 might be enough honestly, but someone, put my fears to ease!

Hoping to squeeze 4 guys gear into a short bed Ford with a canopy, I do have a hitch haul that one of the coolers may ride on.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
Re: How much cooler space to bring home antelope?!
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 10:39:05 PM »
I've put 4 boned out adult antelope in one 150 qt cooler. I think trying to put ten in 220 qts would be challenging. :twocents:
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline spin05

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 01:12:55 AM »
ive put a small deer in a 40qrt cooler no problem before

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 05:20:47 AM »
I'm thinking you'll need double the cooler space you have. If not more.
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline syoungs

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 06:33:02 AM »
More cooler space it is, probably just tif a small trailer over with a freezer and such really.

Thanks for the info!

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 07:44:48 AM »
The rule of thumb is that one cubic foot holds 25-35 pounds of boned meat. One cubic foot is equal to about 25 quarts. An adult doe antelope yields about 25 pounds of boneless meat. An adult buck antelope yields about 35 to 40 pounds of boneless meat.

Ten mature buck antelope would be about 350 pounds of meat. Dividing by 30 means it would take about 12 cubic feet which equates to 300 quarts needed.

Offline Widgeondeke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
  • US Army Infantry 91-98
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 09:31:34 AM »
I have fit 4 lopes into my 100qt cooler. If it was me, I would add 1 more cooler of at least 100qts.
Remember, that's just to get the meat home. you will still need coolers for your food

Offline Whitenuckles

• Transplanted Cajun
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 11:40:27 AM »
The rule of thumb is that one cubic foot holds 25-35 pounds of boned meat. One cubic foot is equal to about 25 quarts. An adult doe antelope yields about 25 pounds of boneless meat. An adult buck antelope yields about 35 to 40 pounds of boneless meat.

Ten mature buck antelope would be about 350 pounds of meat. Dividing by 30 means it would take about 12 cubic feet which equates to 300 quarts needed.
:yeah: dudes killed a lot of goats. I'd listen to him!
GEAUX TIGERS

Online High Climber

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 01:40:02 PM »

Dumb question here... how much room does that leave for ice?

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2017, 01:45:11 PM »

Dumb question here... how much room does that leave for ice?

Dry ice takes up very little space.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 01:49:14 PM »

:yeah: dudes killed a lot of goats. I'd listen to him!

Ya but has anyone checked his math. Lol 🤕

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2017, 02:57:16 PM »
I've got pretty similar results as Bob's from 50+ pronghorn, averaged 22lbs from does and 36lbs from bucks.  A cubic foot is actually almost 30 quarts (29.9).  A cubic foot of lean meat weighs about 40 pounds (guideline for freezer space (cut and wrapped) is 30lbs/cubic foot, and I think is a good assumption for space needs including packaging and ice to transport boned out meat).  Assuming 12 adult bucks as your upper limit for tags, and no waste from bad shooting, you need a maximum of 36lbs/buck x 12bucks x 1 ft3/40 lbs x 30 qt/ft3 = 324 quarts of meat.  You will need additional capacity for ice and packaging and air, I'd add another third = 108 quarts for a grand total maximum of 432 quarts. 

I suspect you will have a mix of buck and doe tags, so plug in [(36lbs/buck x __ bucks + 22lbs/doe x ___ does) x 1 ft3/40lbs x 30qt/ft3] x 1.33 for your total, which simplifies to (36lbs/buck x __ bucks + 22lbs/doe x ___ does) quarts.  Estimate your meat yield in pounds and that will be the estimated amount of quarts cooler space you will need with allowance for airspace, packaging and ice. Easy peasy! 
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline syoungs

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2017, 03:21:43 PM »
Super helpful guys! I really appreciate it.
.we have 4 buck tags, and 6 doe tags right now, I'm sure one member of our group will pick up 2 more does tags when were there though.

My coolers are bigger then I thought, I've got 2 120's, and a 160, and a 45 qt for some food/drinks.

That gives me 400qts, plus the 45 as a buffer.

I added some buffer to the averages listed above, figured on 40# for bucks (160 total)
And 25# for does (100 total) if we get the 2 extra tags

So 260# x 1.33= 345.8 qts
Add a 30% buffer for ice etc. 449.5 qts needed.

If my math was right I'm right in the edge of available cooler space

At least one of the coolers will have previously frozen meat, so I won't add much if any dry ice. Plus I gave myself a buffer on weights.

I think ill be ok with those 3, which I'm thinking I can get everything in the truck, and on a hitch haul, letting me bypass the trailer

Unless someone see's that I did the math wrong!

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2017, 03:24:20 PM »
That gives me 400qts, plus the 45 as a buffer.

I added some buffer to the averages listed above, figured on 40# for bucks (160 total)
And 25# for does (100 total) if we get the 2 extra tags

So 260# x 1.33= 345.8 qts
Add a 30% buffer for ice etc. 449.5 qts needed.

If my math was right I'm right in the edge of available cooler space

At least one of the coolers will have previously frozen meat, so I won't add much if any dry ice. Plus I gave myself a buffer on weights.

I think ill be ok with those 3, which I'm thinking I can get everything in the truck, and on a hitch haul, letting me bypass the trailer

Unless someone see's that I did the math wrong!
You should be fine with 400 quarts.

I look forward to your hunting report. Good luck and have fun!

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2017, 03:34:55 PM »
So I just learned something from Bob33 - cooler capacity is measured in dry quarts, not wet quarts, so 25 per cubic foot is a better number.  I agree you will be fine with 400, and certainly with your 450!  Take lots of photos. 

Several years ago, hardcorpshunter and I had more success than anticipated, and ended up buying 3 more 48 quart coolers in Casper - I think that is a common occurrence in Wyoming in the fall, Walmart there was stacked to the ceiling with coolers at great prices, think it was less than $50 for the three.       
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline syoungs

• Sourdough
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2017, 03:41:38 PM »
Yeah, our plan at this point include the option to move units and get a couple more antelope doe tags, if we do we will buy more coolers, and rent the little u haul trailer to get home lol.

Thanks again for all the help guys! Getting close now, so much to do, so little time! Putting an offer on a house tomorrow evening, and have meetings for work tonight. Not much time to pack and get squared away!

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2017, 03:45:31 PM »
Not much time to pack and get squared away!
Gun. Ammo. Knee pads. Coolers. That shouldn't take long. :chuckle:

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2017, 03:45:31 PM »
Make sure you have a conservation stamp for each hunter, and that all hunters born after 1966 are carrying their hunter safety card. 

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2017, 03:46:06 PM »
Debit card and cash too :)

Offline Whitenuckles

• Transplanted Cajun
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2017, 05:40:51 PM »
Debit card and cash too :)
A knife might help...
GEAUX TIGERS

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2017, 06:42:02 PM »
I've killed at least 40 of them.  Big bucks will yield 45 pounds, approximately, boned out, maybe.  That, all wrapped and frozen will fill a 48 quart cooler or so.  I have a 400 quart cooler and put 10 of them in it one year, all wrapped and frozen.  A mix of bucks and does.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline GurrCentral

• Scout
  • Groups: GurrCentral
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2017, 07:49:07 PM »
I've got pretty similar results as Bob's from 50+ pronghorn, averaged 22lbs from does and 36lbs from bucks.  A cubic foot is actually almost 30 quarts (29.9).  A cubic foot of lean meat weighs about 40 pounds (guideline for freezer space (cut and wrapped) is 30lbs/cubic foot, and I think is a good assumption for space needs including packaging and ice to transport boned out meat).  Assuming 12 adult bucks as your upper limit for tags, and no waste from bad shooting, you need a maximum of 36lbs/buck x 12bucks x 1 ft3/40 lbs x 30 qt/ft3 = 324 quarts of meat.  You will need additional capacity for ice and packaging and air, I'd add another third = 108 quarts for a grand total maximum of 432 quarts. 

I suspect you will have a mix of buck and doe tags, so plug in [(36lbs/buck x __ bucks + 22lbs/doe x ___ does) x 1 ft3/40lbs x 30qt/ft3] x 1.33 for your total, which simplifies to (36lbs/buck x __ bucks + 22lbs/doe x ___ does) quarts.  Estimate your meat yield in pounds and that will be the estimated amount of quarts cooler space you will need with allowance for airspace, packaging and ice. Easy peasy!

When are we going to punch some tags on a few speed goats!!??  Bucket list critter!

Offline syoungs

• Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2017, 09:27:32 PM »
Make sure you have a conservation stamp for each hunter, and that all hunters born after 1966 are carrying their hunter safety card.

Drove myself to Yakima to get a copy of my hunter safety stuff last weekend, come to find out, when my buddy get in from California tommorow, we may have to do it again!

Offline syoungs

• Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2017, 09:28:29 PM »

Knee pads!!! I knew I needed them, and have spaced it entirely, thanks for the reminder!

Offline syoungs

• Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2017, 09:29:39 PM »
How is cell phone reception on the trip over, and around Sheridan? Gonna be on the phone a few times with my realtor I'm sure...

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2017, 09:40:53 PM »
Around Sheridan you won't have a problem, as long as you're not far from I-90.

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2017, 04:41:34 PM »

When are we going to punch some tags on a few speed goats!!??  Bucket list critter!
We have to get serious about that.  Have you been buying points?  Still time to get 2017 points.

Offline GurrCentral

• Scout
  • Groups: GurrCentral
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2017, 08:11:06 PM »

We have to get serious about that.  Have you been buying points?  Still time to get 2017 points.

I haven't been buying points. Probly should start!

Offline syoungs

• Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2017, 07:07:26 PM »
Better get on it, like today!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]