collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Scent Control Debate  (Read 13157 times)

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
Re: Scent Control Debate
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2017, 01:25:22 PM »

Offline HunterofWA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
    • Aery Drone Photos
  • Groups: Huntersofwashington
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2017, 04:50:00 PM »
Has anybody tried this? https://www.labproven.com/
...suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character and character produces hope...

YT | @pnw_offgrid

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2017, 06:07:13 PM »
Has anybody tried this? https://www.labproven.com/

Typically something that removes scent leaves scent if ever so slightly right?  :dunno:
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2017, 07:15:22 PM »
We just need to go back to our roots and learn from other animals. No predator wears phony charcoal impregnated clothing or the latest and greatest anti-stink spray that is only good at separating hunters from their money. We should learn our lesson from the Scent lock lawsuits and the Doe urine controversy.
But if you really do want to spend some money, I am thinking of starting a new product called “Clean Air” you can buy it by the bottle and when you want to de-stinkify just open the bottle and pour “Clean Air” on you.
Lifetime Garuntee !!
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline pope

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2017, 09:03:26 PM »
:twocents: You cant always play the wind.  I take scent control way to seriously, I know that. 

However, I have very high confidence in animals not detecting me, or at least not detecting me enough to be scared off by my scent.   I have very carefully walked through the middle of a feeding elk herd (20 plus animals) in a clear cut in the Winston during early archery with numerous animals inside 20 yards and the closest being 5yds(which I have pictures of).  All was fine until the battery went dead in my camera and it started beeping.  Prior to that,  the animals knew I was there, but they did not feel I posed a threat.  Many more stories like this with elk, deer, and bear, but this one is the best example I think.

In addition to scent control, I think UV control plays a role.  I use Sport Wash and UV killer on all of my clothes.

I will do whatever I can to up my odds.

We hear the argument that the elimination of scent is not possible, so why bother? But what about reduction of scent? If reducing scent fools the deer's nose into thinking you are not a close threat, then maybe it's worth the effort.

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2017, 09:45:15 AM »
:twocents: You cant always play the wind.  I take scent control way to seriously, I know that. 

However, I have very high confidence in animals not detecting me, or at least not detecting me enough to be scared off by my scent.   I have very carefully walked through the middle of a feeding elk herd (20 plus animals) in a clear cut in the Winston during early archery with numerous animals inside 20 yards and the closest being 5yds(which I have pictures of).  All was fine until the battery went dead in my camera and it started beeping.  Prior to that,  the animals knew I was there, but they did not feel I posed a threat.  Many more stories like this with elk, deer, and bear, but this one is the best example I think.

In addition to scent control, I think UV control plays a role.  I use Sport Wash and UV killer on all of my clothes.

I will do whatever I can to up my odds.

We hear the argument that the elimination of scent is not possible, so why bother? But what about reduction of scent? If reducing scent fools the deer's nose into thinking you are not a close threat, then maybe it's worth the effort.

I think the issue is if any product sold, actually does as advertised and reduces or eliminates scent.

I have seen no scientific evidence that any work.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2017, 12:18:48 PM »
Let me 'splain it dis way.  If you are sitting on the sidelines during a game and there are 2 guys that are all sweaty and nasty.  One is using deodorant and the other none.  You will smell the one without far sooner than the guy that is.  Even if there is a breeze the guy without's stank will be much more prevalent and stronger than the other.  Neither smells good but one aint as nasty.  :chuckle:  I think scent control products reduce your smell therefore making the intensity less and travel a shorter distance before becoming diluted I hate to admit it but I have inherited that "old man smell" from my Dad and Grandpa.  When I use scent "eliminating" products, even after a long day of hiking my wife notices a huge difference in the amount of old man funk.  In fact, sometimes she does not smell it at all.  I know an animal has much better sniffer but it does pass the old lady test and that's proof enough for me.   :chuckle:
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 12:30:31 PM by PolarBear »

Offline HunterofWA

• Scout
    • Aery Drone Photos
  • Groups: Huntersofwashington
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2017, 10:53:21 AM »
 :yeah: I understand that you can't eliminate but it might make the deer less alarmed by the human scent if it isn't so strong.
...suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character and character produces hope...

YT | @pnw_offgrid

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2017, 12:01:34 PM »
The deer and elk are already on alarm with the wolves, cougar, and bears around
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline slowhand

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • Seahawk fan for life
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2017, 02:28:49 PM »
Tag
Seahawks
Hunting
Fishing
In That order

Offline Scuffy

• Tracker
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2017, 04:12:47 PM »
In my experience, I never used to wear any type of scent killer and had a mixed bag of getting busted. Then I started using scent killer and at first it seemed to work at masking my scent for the first few years, before it didn’t. I tried different brands at varying levels of application and it seemed like the more I used, the quicker I got busted. I showered with non scented soap, washed my clothes in non scented detergent(my wife has sensitive skin, so all my clothes are washed with non scented detergent), I applied scent killer from the skin to the last layer. Last year, I got busted time and time again until finally I sat in a slash pile in an active logging area(no logging that day) before I finally connected on a good deer. This year I tried a different approach and washed three pairs of clothes two months before the season and sealed them in a plastic bag with pine bows, cedar bows, dirt, and other vegetation from the area I would be hunting. I didn’t get busted one time this year. No scent killer, just native vegetation. Animals have much stronger sense of smell than we do and they also adapt very well to their environment. In my case, perhaps there is a marker in the scent killer they have picked up and recognize as a human scent. When I first began using it, it may have worked because it was foreign and not recognizable as human scent. I don’t know the right answer, but I will continue this year’s findings until it doesn’t seem to work.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2017, 04:21:07 PM »
In my experience, I never used to wear any type of scent killer and had a mixed bag of getting busted. Then I started using scent killer and at first it seemed to work at masking my scent for the first few years, before it didn’t. I tried different brands at varying levels of application and it seemed like the more I used, the quicker I got busted. I showered with non scented soap, washed my clothes in non scented detergent(my wife has sensitive skin, so all my clothes are washed with non scented detergent), I applied scent killer from the skin to the last layer. Last year, I got busted time and time again until finally I sat in a slash pile in an active logging area(no logging that day) before I finally connected on a good deer. This year I tried a different approach and washed three pairs of clothes two months before the season and sealed them in a plastic bag with pine bows, cedar bows, dirt, and other vegetation from the area I would be hunting. I didn’t get busted one time this year. No scent killer, just native vegetation. Animals have much stronger sense of smell than we do and they also adapt very well to their environment. In my case, perhaps there is a marker in the scent killer they have picked up and recognize as a human scent. When I first began using it, it may have worked because it was foreign and not recognizable as human scent. I don’t know the right answer, but I will continue this year’s findings until it doesn’t seem to work.

I agree. Each time I sit down for a stand, I try to break a few limbs to get some scent going. I also will stop every once in a while when I am hiking, break off a branch and rub it on me a bit. My one quandary that I have yet to solve is the sweat factor in early season. I wear a scent free anti antiperspirant but that just worked for the armpits but not lower back, chest etc.

I still spray my clothes down but very lightly and from a distance then follow it with a rubbing of pine branches. Seems to work pretty well so far. 
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline lord grizzly

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2017, 04:46:46 PM »
Sent Miller is one of the most ingenious marketing scams ever to get biters money. To funny. Down wind boys, stay down wind

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2017, 12:21:22 AM »

I agree. Each time I sit down for a stand, I try to break a few limbs to get some scent going. I also will stop every once in a while when I am hiking, break off a branch and rub it on me a bit. My one quandary that I have yet to solve is the sweat factor in early season. I wear a scent free anti antiperspirant but that just worked for the armpits but not lower back, chest etc.

As explained in the podcast -  heavy body sweat actually decreases scent by trapping skin cells (that would have shed as scent particles) against the body.  Underarm areas are heavily colonized by bacteria that break down sweat and sebaceous secretions into foul smelling smaller molecules - antiperspirants go a long way in stopping the process.  I use these products in my crotch for the same reason - not just because I like it.  :chuckle:
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline TommyGun496

• Hunter
« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2017, 04:50:46 AM »
I do use oderless body soap and laundry detergent, but other than that I use the wind.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]