collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Scent Control Debate  (Read 13167 times)

Offline W_Ellison2011

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: Scent Control Debate
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2017, 03:46:49 PM »
I play the wind as best as I can while hunting but at the same time.. I've killed quite a few blacktails while wearing blue jeans and a carhartt t-shirt lol. I think as long as you play the wind right and keep some cover between you and your target animal until in range you will generally succeed.

Offline Mallardmasher

• Scout
  • IBEW LU 46
  • Groups: CCA WWA
« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2017, 06:53:40 AM »
I still today wash and bag my clothes, shower with a no scent soap, have killed lots of big mature bucks, huge black bears, and elk, in less then 25 yards, can not remember the last time an animal blew out on me, and wind, I try to play with, but it really does not concern me. Last year I was sitting next to big stump watching two trails, wind in my face. And I felt something on my neck, then a sniff. It was a big buck, inches away sniffing me from behind. Maybe I should get those hearing aids, wife keeps telling me I need.... 😏
USN 1985-94, IBEW Local 46 1994-Present
Matt

Offline White Pass Outfitters

• High mtn hunter
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Scout
    • Kent Dinelt
« Reply #62 on: December 22, 2017, 07:41:21 AM »
I have cover scent in a spray bottle. I try to hunt the wind at all times but when hunting the high country it tends to swirl at times. And when I feel it on the back of my neck I spray some scent into the air. I dont like to spray it on my clothes because I cant tell if Im smelling elk or if Im just smelling myself. Rather than buying into all the scents out there baking soda works just fine to get rid of human scent. On that note I dont where my hunting clothes in camp, around the fire or when Im cooking. I bag up my cloths and put fresh cut limbs in with them every night, ( dont tell the FS ) I also put some baking soda in my boots. 
KD

Offline Okanagan

• Longhunter
« Reply #63 on: December 22, 2017, 08:13:15 AM »
Last year I was sitting next to big stump watching two trails, wind in my face. And I felt something on my neck, then a sniff. It was a big buck, inches away sniffing me from behind. Maybe I should get those hearing aids, wife keeps telling me I need.... 😏

Love it!

Years ago I was sitting just above a contour deer trail on a mountain side when a blacktail spike came along, dropped his nose to my boots on the edge of the trail and sniffed.  Had you or I been covered in scent free products, neither buck would have discovered us enough to sniff!

And I need the hearing aids as well.

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, ATA Gold-Card Life Member
« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2017, 12:26:21 AM »
what do you smoke Wacky Tabacky?? :chuckle:
Smoke dynaMITE like wicked Wanda Jackson  8)

Offline Florida

• Pilgrim
    • facebook.com/huntinggeardeals
« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2018, 03:39:57 AM »
I've been on a short term assignment to Florida and in my effort to fast forward my hunting knowledge of the area I started listening to the Down South Hunting podcast.  It's an ok podcast in general, but the last 3 episodes have been really good.  They interviewed two very successful deer hunters from the Midwest.  One that really believes in Scent Control and one that doesn't.  I recommend that all hunters listen to these 3 podcasts.  I listen on Google Play, but attached are links to all 3.

Enjoy

http://www.downsouthhunting.com/down-south-hunting-podcast-episode-013-scent-control-debate-part-1/

http://www.downsouthhunting.com/south-hunting-podcast-episode-014-scent-control-strategy-comparison-w-dan-infalt-john-eberhart-part-2/

http://www.downsouthhunting.com/south-hunting-podcast-episode-015-scent-control-strategy-comparison-w-dan-infalt-john-eberhart-part-3/

OK podcast host here :chuckle:. Seriously, thanks for sharing the scent control podcast we did and I am glad you enjoyed it. I'm hoping most listeners find it more thought provoking than controversial. I saw some traffic from out website coming from here and wanted to stop in and say thanks.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2018, 05:37:47 AM »
Welcome its always good to have another perspective on things
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 11:50:21 AM by Skyvalhunter »
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2018, 11:15:11 AM »
Even my wife is getting in to scent control, she buys this stuff called Pure Drops. I am supposed to add a couple drops in the toilet before I drop a deuce, and it is supposed to "Help" de-stinkify the bathroom.
I did an experiment, I used the drops, did the doodie, the shut the bathroom door without turning on the fan. About 5 minutes later she walks in and care out crying, LOL. She has no sense of humor sometimes.

In truth they do seem to help a bit and eliminate the need for a courtesy flush most times.

:chuckle:
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal