collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Guided "non draw" elk hunts for Eastern WA?  (Read 4669 times)

Offline tbrady

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
Guided "non draw" elk hunts for Eastern WA?
« on: October 26, 2017, 07:46:00 AM »
So, my wife and kids got their first taste of elk a few weeks back (after my best friend arrowed an elk from my treestand and kindly shared a bunch with us).  They absolutely loved it and now my wife is trying to get me to give up deer hunting and only focus on elk.   She even said "I don't care if you have to pay for a guide!"

So...  are there any guides that guide people for a cow/spike hunt in Eastern WA?  If not, if anyone has any strategies for hunting the late season around Taneum that would be great also.

Thanks guys!

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
Re: Guided "non draw" elk hunts for Eastern WA?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 08:13:01 AM »
I wouldn't pay for a guide to try and go shoot a cow or spike in WA. Just get out there, put some miles on the boots and try to find sign and elk.  :tup:
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Elkcollector82

• Work to live, not live to work.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Hunt hard by laying boot tracks, Not tire tracks
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 08:17:20 AM »
 :yeah: I wouldn’t even pay for a branch bull guided hunt in Washington.

Start scouting areas now and put boots on the ground come late season.

Good luck.  :tup:

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 08:19:13 AM »
Assume you're an archery elk hunter?

If your buddy shot an elk out of your treestand, it sounds like you don't need a guide.
 :dunno:
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline tbrady

• Scout
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 08:40:48 AM »

If your buddy shot an elk out of your treestand, it sounds like you don't need a guide.

Well...  I guess that's one way to look at it. :)  I've done almost no late season hunting though, I usually spend about 5-6 days in September and that's it and figured a guide might teach me something?  The area I hunt in September is usually fairly empty of elk come mid-November or earlier.

When hunting late archery in Taneum/Little Naches do you guys typically just cover tons of ground trying to find a large herd?  Are they typically starting to move towards the feeding station by then?  Any input is greatly appreciated!

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 08:46:03 AM »

Well...  I guess that's one way to look at it. :)  I've done almost no late season hunting though, I usually spend about 5-6 days in September and that's it and figured a guide might teach me something?  The area I hunt in September is usually fairly empty of elk come mid-November or earlier.

When hunting late archery in Taneum/Little Naches do you guys typically just cover tons of ground trying to find a large herd?  Are they typically starting to move towards the feeding station by then?  Any input is greatly appreciated!

Can't comment on that specific area but I would either cover ground and try to locate animals or if possible, get some feed out and see if you can attract them to you. If there is some snow on the ground you should be good to go.
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Naches Sportsman

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 09:06:47 AM »
I say come over and do some scouting a week-week and a half before the season opens. You'll have a good idea where the elk will be come the opener. The elk really started to move down last year around the 1st week of December.

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 09:45:05 AM »
Boots on the ground. Timber with feed and water near by. Once you find the elk hwy just sit on it. More elk will soon follow. Ive seen migration trails that look like someone ran a dozer through the woods. I would start se east of quartz mnt or East of Taneum Ridge.

Offline Allen23

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 02:41:20 PM »
Man, I might start hunting that unit. All these guys make it sound pretty easy!!!

If your wife and kids just got their first taste of elk meat I am assuming you have not killed a ton of elk? If im right in that assumption I wouldn't  advise against reaching out to a few guides in the area your wanting to hunt. The busy season is over and you never know, the prices for what your going to get may surprise you. Plus you would have someone with experience to help you in the field with breaking down an elk. And you never know, if you talk to a few guides that are still busy they may suggest someone with local knowledge that may help at no charge what so ever and just enjoy going and helping! Either way good luck to you!
In a world where it is so easy to attach your self to the negative side of things remember, What would Grandpa say?

Offline tbrady

• Scout
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 03:00:12 PM »
Yeah, first elk we have taken from this location...  I've hunted this area about 5 years and have had a couple of chances in that time that I just couldn't close the deal on (e.g. a tree usually stood between me and the elk!).  My buddy shows up and literally less than 1 hr after getting in the treestand he gets one.  His first comment to me was "wow that was easy!".  I almost shot him out of the tree.  :bash:

Offline gasman

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 07:32:09 PM »
If you're really interested in a guide in the Yakima area I would contact White Pass Outfitters, or Rugged Class Outfitters / Chinook Pass Outfitters.
Ty is an awesome guy and great hunting guide for Gugged Cass Outfitters. I would have no problem or hesitate to recommend him.

Gasman

It's 5 O'clock somewhere.......

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2017, 02:09:03 PM »
There are plenty of animals there, but getting on some that are where you can get to them during shooting hours is the number one key.  There are also a ton of other hunters out there doing the same thing.  If I were to hunt the late season, I would bring plenty of trail cams, maps and gas.

Offline Hot Lunch

• Hunter
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2017, 04:53:22 PM »
If you love elk and want to hunt them seriously look at Idaho, Montana and Colorado. Success rates in Washington are tough. For WA I would suggest the Archery hunt where you can shoot a spike or cow if you want meat and arent to concerned about horns. This hunt has a higher success rate than the Spike hunts. 

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal