collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Last minute advice  (Read 2549 times)

Offline asmith

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sourdough
Last minute advice
« on: September 28, 2017, 08:05:38 PM »
Looking for some last minute advice from all the longtime, expert muzzle loader hunters.  This is my first year hunting with a muzzle loader, and will be getting one last practice session in tomorrow.  Thanks for the help
Right wing shooter, I aim for the left!!!

Nowhere in your incoherent rambling did you come close to what can be considered a rational thought. Everyone is now dumber having heard it. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Re: Last minute advice
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 08:43:15 PM »
Keep your powder dry !  :chuckle:

What type advice ?  Need to keep cap dry, muzzle covered.  Shoot your gun after a day in the rain and see what happens - that will tell you if you are doing right or not.

100 grains FFF loose powder, saboted slug, whats to go wrong? 

Important:  Have dry backup caps handy when first cap inevitably misfires.

Good Luck !

Online Brushbuster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 09:03:06 PM »
Take your camera w/ extra batteries & SD card. On my last muzzleloader hunt my capper broke. It was very difficult to put on new primers several times per day so needed to go to town & buy a new one. Tags, TP & meds you should be good to go.

Have a great hunt!  :tup:

Online Mfowl

• Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 11:00:17 PM »
Clean your breach plug regularly while practicing. Be consistent in how you load your gun. I mean use the same pressure to seat your bullet each time, same plunges to get it down the bore. Let your barrel cool every few shots. An ML can shoot differently with a hot bore vs cold. I like to shoot off a steady rest like a lead sled to sight in then off bags or off hand after that. Most of all, enjoy!
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline Squidward

• Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/ed.brooks.3781
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 07:28:26 AM »
always remember 1st the powder then the lead. I've seen it happen more than once  :bash: . lol

Tie a small piece of flagging ribbon on your ram rod, when you reload the rifle back up after the shot. the ribbon will fall on the ground where you are standing. marking where you shot from.

Good Luck!

Offline Hawk

• Pilgrim
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 09:07:51 AM »
Here is a minor recommendation that I believe makes a major difference in avoiding misfires.  I cut a small piece of wire to serve as a nipple pick.  Just about every time a replace a new cap, I take that wire and poke it into the nipple until I can feel the powder.  I think fouling in that little nipple hole causes most of the misfires I hear about (Ie. Cap goes off, but powder does not).  I cut a bunch of those little wires so I can have one in several different pockets, etc.  Best of luck this season.

Offline asmith

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 01:34:25 PM »
Thank y'all for the advice, anything helps.  That ribbon idea is a good one.  I will be doing that. 

Nowhere in your incoherent rambling did you come close to what can be considered a rational thought. Everyone is now dumber having heard it. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 02:03:00 PM »
always remember 1st the powder then the lead. I've seen it happen more than once  :bash: . lol

Tie a small piece of flagging ribbon on your ram rod, when you reload the rifle back up after the shot. the ribbon will fall on the ground where you are standing. marking where you shot from.

Good Luck!

Maybe tie two ribbons on ram rod. I've heard of people so excited they left the rod in the barrel for the second shot. This second ribbon would help locate ram rod faster for third shot. :chuckle:  Have fun!
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline asmith

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 02:53:16 PM »

Good Luck!

Maybe tie two ribbons on ram rod. I've heard of people so excited they left the rod in the barrel for the second shot. This second ribbon would help locate ram rod faster for third shot. :chuckle:  Have fun!

Haha, now that's funny.  Would be very bad, but funny

Offline OutHouse

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Department of Foliage, Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 04:20:33 PM »
Here is a minor recommendation that I believe makes a major difference in avoiding misfires.  I cut a small piece of wire to serve as a nipple pick.  Just about every time a replace a new cap, I take that wire and poke it into the nipple until I can feel the powder.  I think fouling in that little nipple hole causes most of the misfires I hear about (Ie. Cap goes off, but powder does not).  I cut a bunch of those little wires so I can have one in several different pockets, etc.  Best of luck this season.

:yeah:   And if you wanna take it a step further, pick out the nipple hole and then powder the nipple. I put a tiny bit of powder on a piece of folded paper and dump just a bit more powder down the nipple. Not to the brim of the nipple. Haven't had a misfire since.

Offline floatinghat

• Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 09:24:12 PM »
Don't forget to foul your barrel before you load.  Pre measure your back up loads and fill your speedloaders.  Have a great time!

Offline Squidward

• Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/ed.brooks.3781
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2017, 06:49:29 AM »
 :yeah:   And if you wanna take it a step further, pick out the nipple hole and then powder the nipple. I put a tiny bit of powder on a piece of folded paper and dump just a bit more powder down the nipple. Not to the brim of the nipple. Haven't had a misfire since.
[/quote]

be careful how much powder you put in the nipple, it can pack and act like a fuse, hiss and hang before going off. Cost us a big old cow one year.  :bash:

Offline elkboy

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2017, 11:42:06 AM »
Measure with your hands/fingers how much ramrod should be exposed outside the barrel under A) a full powder and bullet load, and B) no load in the barrel.  This will help you avoid double-loading. 
Keep everything clean, clean, clean!  After every practice session, pull that breech plug and clean it with a brush and hot water and kitchen detergent.  Between shots, I do at least a wet patch (Windex) followed by a dry patch.  I then "pop a cap" (fire just a cap) to dry the barrel a little bit (Sabotloader maintains this is not necessary, and he knows a lot more than I do, but I still do it, perhaps out of habit).   
In the rain, I cover the muzzle with either the snipped-off finger of a nitrile medical glove, or I do a wrap job with some electrical tape.  I cover the "exposed to the elements" breech with a gloved hand or a hat if I am sitting. 
Many of us on here like peep sights- they really do help most people extend their range. 

GOOD LUCK!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull