collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: The Poor Orcas Islanders... too many deer  (Read 7744 times)

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
The Poor Orcas Islanders... too many deer
« on: September 28, 2017, 10:01:19 PM »
http://www.islandssounder.com/news/san-juan-islands-are-overrun-by-deer/

Some interesting discussions on Facebook surrounding this.  One guy thinks that people should just ask the state for depradation permits... I wish - Hey WDFW give me three deer tags, the deer are eating my roses.....    :rolleyes:

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: The Poor Orcas Islanders... too many deer
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 10:36:40 PM »
Guess they need to give some hunters permission to hunt their property.
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 11:23:59 PM »
That's what I've been saying on the Facebook thread.

Offline E35alex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 05:20:24 AM »
I know a few people on Friday Harbor. They do not allow hunting on their property nor are they ok with hunters.  :dunno:

The closer I get to nature, the farther I am from idiots.

Offline RB

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 07:41:43 AM »
Never understood why people complain about wildlife but when the solution is to hunt and harvest the excess people immediately don't want anybody to kill "their" wildlife. As with other programs i would imagine there is a solution that would benefit all parties, land owner gets more $$ to let people hunt, hunters have to go through an orientation and be proficient with weapon choice and a WDFW representative needs to be available at all times.

How about rather than having to apply for second permit they make it over the counter and increase the limit? Even increase it more if you are a resident of the island, areas of SE AK do this. I would be inclined to go to the islands if there was better access and could harvest multiple Deer.  :twocents:
IAFF #3728

Offline goldenhtr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 07:58:42 AM »
“I just cannot find enough places for enough people to go to kill enough deer to make a difference,” she said. “I’m not 100 percent convinced we could ever reduce the population with hunting as a tool alone. Because we can’t get enough people out on the landscape to kill enough deer we’re not ever going to reduce the population with hunting. We’re never going to reduce it, probably, totally all over the island. Don’t really know because we’ve never really tried.”

I know let's bring back a pack of wolfs on each island after all that was the natural way. :o ;) :chuckle:
Gen:27:3

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 08:01:58 AM »
I hunt deer on a private San Juan island and have for over 30 years. The deer population lives on the edge of starvation and survival. It's sad that more can't be taken via hunting. I know that Ruth and others from WDFW have made concerted efforts to allow more hunting and obtain more permits but have been stymied.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Shrimper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 08:07:12 AM »
How about rather than having to apply for second permit they make it over the counter and increase the limit? Even increase it more if you are a resident of the island, areas of SE AK do this. I would be inclined to go to the islands if there was better access and could harvest multiple Deer.  :twocents:

If that was the case I suspect these tags would be mostly purchased by the residence that don't approve of the hunting.  Only thing keeping them from doing that now is the hunter safety course requirement for applying for the tags.

After hunting many years on Orcas this is my personal experience.

There is hunting opportunity on Orcas but just like anywhere else you need to know people.  The biggest barrier is the San Juan Island Trust, they keep buying a lot of the large tracts of land and the trust does not allow hunting.

"Whenever you are asked if you can do a job, tell ’em, ’Certainly I can!’ Then get busy and find out how to do it."

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 08:46:08 AM »

There is hunting opportunity on Orcas but just like anywhere else you need to know people.  The biggest barrier is the San Juan Island Trust, they keep buying a lot of the large tracts of land and the trust does not allow hunting.

Bingo!

Offline RB

• Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 09:25:40 AM »

Bingo!

Who is the San Juan Island Trust?
IAFF #3728

Offline NoBark

• Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 09:30:46 AM »
A good winter kill and starvation event on the Island would be beneficial in opening the eyes of the preservationists that dislike the conservationists.   8)

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2017, 09:38:43 AM »
Loki go on that Facebook page and recommend that a couple packs of wolves be released on the islands and see what kind of response you get😊 Please post them up here :chuckle:
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline Gobble Doc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2017, 10:09:58 AM »
Under Obama one of the last couple chunks of public land to hunt on San Juan Island went away. I'm relieved that someone could tell me what was in my best interests.

Funding approved for purchase of Mitchell Hill; land will be annexed into San Juan Island National Historical Park
•   Mon Nov 2nd, 2009 4:20pm

Mitchell Hill, a 312-acre chunk of land that includes trails and a pristine portion of road built beginning in 1853 by the Hudson’s Bay Co., is on its way to becoming part of San Juan Island National Historical Park.
President Obama on Friday signed the bill that provides the funding for the purchase.
“With President Obama’s signature, the National Park Service now has $6 million available to purchase Mitchell Hill,” said Rep. Rick Larsen, who sponsored the bill. “This funding is a huge win for San Juan Island residents and future generations of visitors to San Juan Island National Historical Park.”
The U.S. House and Senate on Thursday approved appropriations legislation that includes the $6 million secured by Larsen. This funding was included in the conference report of the Interior and Environment Appropriations bill.
Larsen said in a press release at the time of the bill’s passage, “Protecting the historical and natural values of Mitchell Hill has been a priority for me for the last several years. Mitchell Hill is both a great place to go hiking and the home of an important part of San Juan Island history. Funding for Mitchell Hill will enhance recreational and educational opportunities for the over 250,000 visitors who visit San Juan Island National Historical Park each year.”
The funding will be used by the National Park Service to acquire more than 300 acres of land currently being managed by the Washington state Department of Natural Resources. Selling Mitchell Hill to the National Park Service has earned widespread support in the local community, including the endorsement of the National Parks Service, San Juan County, DNR and the San Juan Island Trails Committee.
Peter Dederich, superintendent of San Juan Island National Historical Park, said acquisition of Mitchell Hill will result in federal protection of the hill’s historical resources.
Within the 312 acres is a portion of the road that troops used to travel between American and English camps during the joint military occupation of 1859-1872. The road was initially built as a sheep run by Hudson’s Bay Co. and Cowichan laborers, and later improved by troops. Visible along portions of the road is rip-rap — rock placed by British troops to reinforce the road — as well as wheel ruts from wagons that once rolled along the road.
Mitchell Hill also supports various native plants and Garry oaks.
“The military road, in essence, captures the period before the U.S. took formal possession of San Juan Island when the boundary dispute was resolved,” said National Park historian Mike Vouri, author of three books about the joint military occupation era.
Vouri said Gov. James Douglas and a work crew initiated the first work on the trail, which became a sheep highway linking the grazing areas on the north and south ends of the island. American and British troops further developed the trail in the 1860s during the military occupation to facilitate communication between their camps.
“The military road symbolized peacekeeping, it tied one end of island with the other,” Vouri said. “This is very much a part of the island’s heritage.”
Besides its historical value, Mitchell Hill is also treasured by bicyclists, hikers and horseback riders.
David Dehlendorf, chairman of the San Juan Island Trails Committee, said the committee hopes to work with the national park to develop a management plan for the area. He said he hopes horses and non-motorized bikes will continue to be allowed to use the hill’s trails.
Dederich said acquisition of Mitchell Hill will be followed by a planning process to determine “appropriate visitor activities,” how trails will be maintained, and how the overall area will be managed. He said interpretive or trail signage could be installed. He said that once Mitchell Hill becomes part of the national park, the Code of Federal Regulations will apply, and “some of those regulations are stricter than the state’s.”

http://www.sanjuanjournal.com/news/funding-approved-for-purchase-of-mitchell-hill-land-will-be-annexed-into-san-juan-island-national-historical-park/

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2017, 10:17:55 AM »
Each island just needs their own pack of wolves, problem solved.  :IBCOOL:

Oh except Decatur Island, wouldn't wish that off on Lokidog.  :chuckle:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 12:38:47 PM by Boss .300 winmag »
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline singleshot12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2017, 10:52:14 AM »
No need for wolves. Coyotes would keep the numbers in check. Maybe once the deer hugging island residents observe a coyote pulling out a fawn from a doe's uterus will they possibly think allowing hunting is more humane and a better way to keep deer numbers in check  :dunno:
NATURE HAS A WAY

"All good things must come to an end"

SEARCHING FOR TRUTH, SEARCHING FOR PURITY, something that doesn't really exist anymore..

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Today at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Today at 09:12:44 PM]

Hunting Dog Memorial by ghosthunter
[Today at 08:55:30 PM]

Pairs by Dan-o
[Today at 08:15:34 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by pd
[Today at 07:31:15 PM]