collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: The Poor Orcas Islanders... too many deer  (Read 7752 times)

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
Re: The Poor Orcas Islanders... too many deer
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2017, 12:00:25 PM »
Loki go on that Facebook page and recommend that a couple packs of wolves be released on the islands and see what kind of response you get😊 Please post them up here :chuckle:

There was discussion about cougar and bear....

We had a jerk enviro here on Decatur that wanted to bring in coyotes.   >:(  He died a few years ago in a hiking fall, so no worries about that now.....   :o

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2017, 02:08:25 PM »
Loki go on that Facebook page and recommend that a couple packs of wolves be released on the islands and see what kind of response you get😊 Please post them up here :chuckle:

If it were possible to live trap a couple of be all for it.  The state rep for that area lives on Oscar and is a anti hunting wacko
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2017, 02:44:26 PM »
I think it'd be great to bring back all these natural predators we supposedly killed off.

I'm pretty sure there's no tangible evidence that permanent populations of real predators lived on the islands over any long period of time since the last ice age.

I'm from Friday Harbor.  Most of the land I used to hunt has been picked up by the Land Preservation Trust.  It basically becomes county-owned land and then it is leased back to farmers.  We'll see how long it can keep up.  As the good ol crew passes on, a group run primarily by dems dictates the new order on the property.  They claim to keep it used as it was historically, they conveniently omit hunting from the history books.

It is thick with deer though, almost to the point of being very little fun past the age of 10.

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Loser's Lounge - Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2017, 02:59:17 PM »

We had a jerk enviro here on Decatur that wanted to bring in coyotes.   >:(  He died a few years ago in a hiking fall, so no worries about that now.....   :o

Walker?

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2017, 04:35:29 PM »

Walker?

Yes

Offline hollymaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2017, 05:33:07 PM »

Wacko?
Fixed it for you.  :chuckle:

Offline RB

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2017, 05:50:33 PM »
Live trap them and relocate to any of the Puget sound GMU's and problem solved. The antis have a "safe" solution and the hunters have a solution, and a full freezer!  8)
IAFF #3728

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2017, 10:03:21 PM »
There's no reason that land trust properties must be anti-hunting.  Over-browsing of native flora is very detrimental to those critical environments.  We just need to find the right messenger to persuade the "powers that be" that limited hunts are in the best interest of the environment being held in trust.

On the other hand, my extended family and I are in the process of selling a chunk of land on Guemes to the Skagit Land Trust.  They probably don't allow hunting either, so never mind what I said.... :o  We should probably all move on and find some other pass-time, like fishing, or darts.
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline Schmalzfam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2017, 06:04:18 AM »
I have a chunk of private land 80acres on Orcas I can hunt.
The landowner was telling me a few years back that someone from the game dept. Was talking about bringing mule deer back over AGAIN, to increase the size.....
She said it had been done in the past.
Has anyone else heard of this?
More public access would be a great way to start decreasing the numbers, but a lot of hunters avoid the islands, due to the lack of access.
Bringing the island genes, possible diseases, etc. To the mainland,  I think would be a mistake.
Not to mention, that some are so domesticated and clueless you would be just ringing a dinner bell for all the predators.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2017, 11:12:15 AM »
Mule deer to the SJI?  Sounds like bad science (at least based on the studies I read and commented on about 18 months ago). 

Those island Blacktail are the size they are because of their environment, not genetics.  Removal of predators resulted in too many deer, which have over-utilized the food resources available and created scarcity of browse for the entire population.  When food is scarce for maternal does, it results in underweight fawns at birth.  Those fawns must then try to thrive through the same scarcity of food during their early growth phases.  As you might guess, after suffering malnutrition since they were just a few cells growing in the mothers placenta, a population of abnormally small adult deer eventually becomes the norm.   

If you took a freshly impregnated island doe and put her in an environment without food shortage, the fawn would likely be of normal birth size and grow to normal adult BT proportions, assuming it had adequate food during it's early years. 
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2017, 12:13:54 PM »
Mule deer to the SJI?  Sounds like bad science (at least based on the studies I read and commented on about 18 months ago). 

Those island Blacktail are the size they are because of their environment, not genetics.  Removal of predators resulted in too many deer, which have over-utilized the food resources available and created scarcity of browse for the entire population.  When food is scarce for maternal does, it results in underweight fawns at birth.  Those fawns must then try to thrive through the same scarcity of food during their early growth phases.  As you might guess, after suffering malnutrition since they were just a few cells growing in the mothers placenta, a population of abnormally small adult deer eventually becomes the norm.   

If you took a freshly impregnated island doe and put her in an environment without food shortage, the fawn would likely be of normal birth size and grow to normal adult BT proportions, assuming it had adequate food during it's early years.
make sense to me   :tup:

Online Night goat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2017, 03:30:20 PM »
you guys obviously don't know the local san juan deer hunting secret method  :tup:

maybe lokidog knows it

you need two things....

a ball peen hammer....

and an apple

:cue:

:chuckle:

Offline singleshot12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2017, 03:52:43 PM »
you guys obviously don't know the local san juan deer hunting pet harvest secret method  :tup:

maybe lokidog knows it

you need two things....

a ball peen hammer....

and an apple

:cue:

:chuckle:

fixed it for ya  :chuckle:  How does someone hunt pets or livestock  :dunno:
NATURE HAS A WAY

"All good things must come to an end"

SEARCHING FOR TRUTH, SEARCHING FOR PURITY, something that doesn't really exist anymore..

Offline Shrimper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2017, 04:14:00 PM »
These deer provide the best venison, unbelievable how good it is. :EAT:
"Whenever you are asked if you can do a job, tell ’em, ’Certainly I can!’ Then get busy and find out how to do it."

Offline singleshot12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2017, 04:16:14 PM »
Except for the ones eating dog food, they tend to be very greasy.
NATURE HAS A WAY

"All good things must come to an end"

SEARCHING FOR TRUTH, SEARCHING FOR PURITY, something that doesn't really exist anymore..

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Yesterday at 09:12:44 PM]