collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Shot my first bear with a bow  (Read 7788 times)

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
Re: Shot my first bear with a bow
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2017, 06:30:57 AM »
It is a great story. However, were it mine, I'd have the post removed. And please don't mistake the concern of fellow forum members as internet bashing. It's quite possible you've posted the breaking of several wildlife laws - hunting after hours, wildlife harassment, shooting a bow at big game with under 40 lbs, attempted poaching. Consider taking this down. Have a good day.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline huntnfmly

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2017, 07:54:35 AM »
Great story but as the other posters pointed out and are right is that there are many unreasonable leos that may see your situation as breaking laws.
It's terrible that we've gotten to this point that you can't even do what you did and that it could be interpreted  as violations.
I'm your dam tour guide Arnie please don’t wonder off the dam tour.
Take as many dam pictures as you want ....
Are there any dam questions ..

Offline hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2017, 08:10:26 AM »
So when does a bear in your backyard become a threat,I think this would be my question for Leo.Cause are you really harassing a bear once it becomes a threat :dunno: or does it fall into the self defence part of the law.These are all questions that we would like to know,and everbody has a different answer or opinion,that must be respected,But these would be good questions for LEO.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2017, 08:24:19 AM »
So when does a bear in your backyard become a threat,I think this would be my question for Leo.Cause are you really harassing a bear once it becomes a threat :dunno: or does it fall into the self defence part of the law.These are all questions that we would like to know,and everbody has a different answer or opinion,that must be respected,But these would be good questions for LEO.

When? When you hit it with an arrow from a 15 lb bow????  :chuckle:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2017, 08:38:07 AM »

I was thinking maybe hungry bear on a compost pile,I don't think I'm getting between a bear and a food source.Would it be different if he used a sling shot,bb gun,bear spray,what do you do if you don't have bear spray,let the bear charge you,your dog,your kid,before it become a threat.Like I said everybody got different opinions.but the only one that matters is a Leo.

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2017, 08:48:34 AM »
I don't doubt that a sour LEO or attorney wouldn't argue otherwise, but I can't imagine that what they OP did could possibly qualify as harassment.  The bear was destroying his property.

If the bear had just been sitting there or wandering through his back yard, I could see poking it with kiddy arrows being called harassment.  But an action taken to prevent an animal from damaging your property...  I just can't see how any judge would uphold that as harassment. 

[Edited to take back the statement of it not being self-defense after thinking about it a little more.  It's probably self-defense since RCW 9A.16.110(1) includes protecting property.  The question would only be if shooting kiddy arrows is a "reasonable means necessary" to stop the action.]
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 08:56:47 AM by yakimanoob »

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2017, 08:50:26 AM »
Like I said everybody got different opinions.but the only one that matters is a Leo.
Not that a LEO can't cause a big headache, but thankfully the only one with an opinion that matters is a judge.

Offline Pegasus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2017, 08:53:42 AM »
A bear just being in your back yard is a threat. Doesn't matter what the bear is doing; pooping, eating, scratching, hunting, etc. There are enough videos here that show what a bear does in taking down a fawn. Now replace that fawn with a potential child. Yosemite chases the bears away with rubber bullets. They hopefully do this BEFORE someone becomes a bear statistic. Doing the same for your family is appropriate.

Offline Elkcollector82

• Work to live, not live to work.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Hunt hard by laying boot tracks, Not tire tracks
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2017, 08:54:40 AM »
Like I said everybody got different opinions.but the only one that matters is a Leo.
Not that a LEO can't cause a big headache, but thankfully the only one with an opinion that matters is a judge.

I'd have 12 opinions of my peers. before I had a single opinion of a judge  :dunno:

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2017, 08:59:30 AM »
I'd have 12 opinions of my peers. before I had a single opinion of a judge  :dunno:

I don't know enough about the legal system to know if this would be a jury trail, or just the judge's call.  There are plenty of issues that are settled without a jury. 

Personally, especially in Washington, I'd rather have a judge than 12 people who may-or-may not think bears are cute and cuddly and shooting them with arrows is mean.

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2017, 09:01:06 AM »
More to the point: Thanks for posting this and making me laugh. 

It's the nature of internet forums to side-line and second guess and discuss the finer points of whatever.  Don't let it stop you from posting!   :tup:

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2017, 10:05:55 AM »
Ya this bear was hoped up on old coffee grounds and bannana peels it could do anything. :chuckle: :chuckle:

Bearlives matter  :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

I'm gonna take a knee during national anthem for bear lives now :chuckle: :chuckle:

I would do same if I had too,kiddo bow was just what he had on hand and did the job.MacGyver that bear.
This is my last comment on this topic,Great story,and comments from everybody,don't let one persons oppion stop you from posting on this forum :tup:

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2017, 10:23:04 AM »

I was thinking maybe hungry bear on a compost pile,I don't think I'm getting between a bear and a food source.Would it be different if he used a sling shot,bb gun,bear spray,what do you do if you don't have bear spray,let the bear charge you,your dog,your kid,before it become a threat.Like I said everybody got different opinions.but the only one that matters is a Leo.

I think that the opinions expressed are out of concern for the OP. Once you post it, the LE and courts take over and will use a post as evidence. They've fined people for not clamping down the barbs on a hook enough. I have little doubt some of them would look at this and go investigate.

Offline Pegasus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2017, 11:01:14 AM »
Remember when the LEO's come for you do not offer to give them the bow. If they want the bow as evidence make them seize it without your permission. Don't interfere with them taking the bow but make it clear you are not willing giving them the bow.

Offline smithkl42

• Hunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/smithkl42/
    • Would-BeTheologian
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2017, 05:47:23 PM »
Remember when the LEO's come for you do not offer to give them the bow. If they want the bow as evidence make them seize it without your permission. Don't interfere with them taking the bow but make it clear you are not willing giving them the bow.

Why is that?
"Marriage is a duel to the death, which no man of honor should decline." - GKC

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Today at 09:12:44 PM]

Hunting Dog Memorial by ghosthunter
[Today at 08:55:30 PM]

Pairs by Dan-o
[Today at 08:15:34 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by pd
[Today at 07:31:15 PM]