collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2018--fishing, crabbing cabin rental?  (Read 1632 times)

Offline Odell

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • the deuce is loose
2018--fishing, crabbing cabin rental?
« on: September 29, 2017, 11:58:49 AM »
Hey everyone,

I'm taking an extended time off in summer of 2018. I'm trying to find a cabin or house rental for my family of 4. Here is my criteria:

-restful. must be peaceful and somewhat quiet. A view or waterfront is even better
-kid friendly. I've got young girls. Beach combing, swimming, etc
-fishing nearby. The closer the better. Doesn't have to be good fishing, just an option occasionally
-crabbing would be a bonus
-bbq and firepit
-cheaper the better. I work as a pastor and this is a sabbatical after 20 years.

So I started looking at Vancouver island in July of 2018. Does anyone have experience with DIY fishing/crabbing? I have a jon boat but not set up for serious fishing, We would like to be in the same place for 3-5 weeks.

Any other ideas would be welcome. Doesn't have to be BC, a lake in Oregon or montana would be great also.
what in the wild wild world of sports???

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Re: 2018--fishing, crabbing cabin rental?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 12:07:48 PM »
DIY crabbing is a piece of cake, you shouldn't have any problems in any major salt water areas.  Fishing is another story, if you are going for salmon you need to have information and gear.  If all you want to do is fish, flounder are easy.  You may look for something near a lake and salt water, that way if you get blown off the salt for a day you could always lake fish.

Offline CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 12:19:43 PM »
You might consider Whidbey Island.  I used to have a waterfront cabin there that I would rent out and there are lots of people doing the same.  Usually by word of mouth without a lot of advertising.  July is peak season so now is not too early to start looking.

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 12:22:04 PM »
There are places on Decatur for rent, but crabbing starts later than everywhere else.

Offline Odell

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • the deuce is loose
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 08:09:30 PM »
DIY crabbing is a piece of cake, you shouldn't have any problems in any major salt water areas.  Fishing is another story, if you are going for salmon you need to have information and gear.  If all you want to do is fish, flounder are easy.  You may look for something near a lake and salt water, that way if you get blown off the salt for a day you could always lake fish.

Is Shore fishing for salmon possible? Do you know anything about the Campbell River area? Thanks for any advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
what in the wild wild world of sports???

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 08:14:23 PM »
Yeah, possible in a few scenarios but not many.  If you have a boat, even a small one you may be able to make it work.  I'm not familiar with BC rivers, but if you find one with a good sockeye run you are in business.  Silvers are sometimes workable from shore as well.

If I was going to spend a couple months and wanted to fish a bunch, it would be in AK.

Offline SeatoSummit88

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 01:22:14 PM »
Odell, PM sent. I have a house near Westport, WA.  It is in grayland, about a 2 minute drive to clam digging and surf perch fishing on the beach.  About 10 minutes away is the marina where you can launch your boat, fish the harbor, drop a crab pot, or fish for salmon within the marina.  There are plenty of coastal rivers that hold trout, steelhead and salmon within 30 minutes.

I will forward over a link to our rental.

-Matt
If I'm not selling, I should be hunting, If I'm not hunting, I should quit!

Offline plugger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2017, 05:35:24 AM »
Try this site, VRBO. We used it to rent a house in Florida next April. Lots of options.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal