collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Slug gun hunters: few questions  (Read 6997 times)

Offline RB

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Slug gun hunters: few questions
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2017, 07:42:50 PM »
Yeah got thinking about it and it may find a way into a short range elk hunt at some point to in Idaho or westside jungle some time.

I ordered a browning a bolt 12ga, They have a killer deal close out on them with one of my wholesalers.

I ordered a box of 300g hornady and xp3, then a box of the partition and dual bonded Winchesters that are 375-385.

How good was the close out deal on the A bolt??
IAFF #3728

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2017, 07:51:33 PM »
Loki, speaking on behalf of my brother, who's a far more accomplished hunter than I (and from a "field/harvest" perspective)... the .50 cal muzzleloader is unquestionably more lethal on game than a rifled 12. Not even a debate. That's comparing the Remington magnum sabots he shoots against a weak Eastern magnum pellet load w/ a 250 grain too.

I like the Brenneke's or Rem's out of my slug gun.
I've shot 12 gauge slugs with close to 3,500 ft/lbs of muzzle energy. That's a lot. The slug guns shoot the same projectile weight or more (375 grains) with similar velocities and equivalent projectiles.

I can't see any reason they would be less lethal than a muzzleloader at similar distances, but I could be educated otherwise.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2017, 08:06:59 PM »
Yeah got thinking about it and it may find a way into a short range elk hunt at some point to in Idaho or westside jungle some time.

I ordered a browning a bolt 12ga, They have a killer deal close out on them with one of my wholesalers.

I ordered a box of 300g hornady and xp3, then a box of the partition and dual bonded Winchesters that are 375-385.

How good was the close out deal on the A bolt??

Cost me 499 delivered. There is a few places that have them for about 570.00 delivered but one of the wholesalers put them on clearance and I decided what the heck. Mine is just the base they have the wood and camo model on clearance as well.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 08:25:27 PM by carpsniperg2 »
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline JL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA, CCRKBA, RMEF
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2017, 08:21:05 PM »
Loki, speaking on behalf of my brother, who's a far more accomplished hunter than I (and from a "field/harvest" perspective)... the .50 cal muzzleloader is unquestionably more lethal on game than a rifled 12. Not even a debate. That's comparing the Remington magnum sabots he shoots against a weak Eastern magnum pellet load w/ a 250 grain too.

I've shot 12 gauge slugs with close to 3,500 ft/lbs of muzzle energy. That's a lot. The slug guns shoot the same projectile weight or more (375 grains) with similar velocities and equivalent projectiles.

I can't see any reason they would be less lethal than a muzzleloader at similar distances, but I could be educated otherwise.

Bob, I'm obviously not the one that would be able to and I've argued the same. Anything I could contribute would be subjective. He laughed in my face when I suggested a rifled slug was a good way to go close qtrs. against a grizz.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2017, 08:29:54 PM »

Bob, I'm obviously not the one that would be able to and I've argued the same. Anything I could contribute would be subjective. He laughed in my face when I suggested a rifled slug was a good way to go close qtrs. against a grizz.
I can say this with certainty: the 12 gauge slug guns I've shot kick like a mule going backwards. Ouch!

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2017, 08:41:16 PM »

One of the guys I know that had to kill a big grizz used a 12 gauge slug.

Offline spoonman

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2017, 08:54:04 PM »

Muzzy sabot and a 12 ga sabot in like weight have very simular velocity. I just don't see how a muzzy will kill any better than a 12ga slug gun? Thousands of elk are killed every year with a 243 or 270 or even a bow and arrow. I have a 12 ga slugster and would not hesitate to pull the trigger on a bull at 200 yards! Now at 200 yards that's only 1100 pounds of energy but if it's behind the shoulder it's a dead elk.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 09:13:27 PM by spoonman »

Offline JL

• Hunter
  • Groups: NRA, CCRKBA, RMEF
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2017, 08:54:40 PM »
Lol Bob, the 110 fffg w/ 300 gr sabot I'm running out of the ML honestly makes that recoil feel like a school girl's slap. Not that I've ever experienced one of those... I've shot a lot this summer and I'm telling everybody, 6 of those ML loads on a green shoulder will leave a sweet bruise.

Jimmy, most of what I've read also suggests a rifled 12 sabot at close range is the right tool. It's what I carry myself.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2017, 09:14:34 AM »
I shoot Deerslayer or Deerslayer II and Lightfield Hybrid Elite slugs.  IMHO the most accurate slug gun out there   

http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,193502.0.html

Offline RatRodMike

• Hunter
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2017, 09:56:44 AM »
I've shot several elk with a 12 ga. using riffled slugs.  They did the job but I wasn't super impressed with the penetration on one.  I had hit the shoulder and that may be why but it broke that shoulder and the bull didn't go far.  My 50 and 54 cals.  with Maxi Balls always penetrate a lot better IMO.

Slug barreled guns are better but I've killed a lot of deer with my smooth bore and found the key to accuracy is taking the time to bench shoot the gun to find out where it's hitting. It's never straight down the sights but it's the same place every time.  Bench shooting while shooting a slug is kind of miserable because, as said above, they really do kick like a mule.

Offline Widgeondeke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
  • US Army Infantry 91-98
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2017, 10:48:20 AM »
My son and I shoot a break-action H&R 20g slug gun topped with a Leupold

I've tried several ammo types:

I preferred the Hornady SST, but they KICKED  :yike:  Muzzle velocity is 1800 and the boy didn't enjoy shooting it  :chuckle:  When my son started hunting he was only 10 and weighed about 85#.
Tried Winchester, but didn't like the groups. Settled on Remington Copper Solid. Main reason, less muzzle velocity of 1200, which translated to less recoil yet still accurate

Never have understood why 20ga isn't legal for elk. Yes elk are larger, but we harvested 5 blacktail over the last 3 seasons and every shot was a thru & thru. The solid copper slug wasn't stopped by shoulders, vertebrae, leg or jaw( @Lokidog )   :chuckle:
My son even took a quartering front shot and it entered just behind the shoulder(about 1.5" too far right) and exited out the opposite rear after breaking a rib & vertebrae. The longest shot taken was 118yds.

Now that he is almost 15, stands 5'-8 1/2" and about 125# it's time to change ammo. Also looking for more expansion.
They don't make Winchester XP3 in 20ga, so testing the Hornady SST and Remington Accutip and I may try the Lightfield if one of these don't impress

:twocents:

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2017, 11:31:33 AM »
I've shot several elk with a 12 ga. using riffled slugs.  They did the job but I wasn't super impressed with the penetration on one.  I had hit the shoulder and that may be why but it broke that shoulder and the bull didn't go far.  My 50 and 54 cals.  with Maxi Balls always penetrate a lot better IMO.

Slug barreled guns are better but I've killed a lot of deer with my smooth bore and found the key to accuracy is taking the time to bench shoot the gun to find out where it's hitting. It's never straight down the sights but it's the same place every time.  Bench shooting while shooting a slug is kind of miserable because, as said above, they really do kick like a mule.

Lightfield Commanders will penetrate practically anything short of cold rolled steel.  Hastings Laser Accurates (now Rotweil https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2014/1/24/rottweil-laser-plus-sabot-slugs/ ) will do the same.  They are lousy on deer because they zip through and do not transfer a lot of energy leaving the deer to run off.  Lightfield Hybrid Elites will usually take a deer straight off it's feet.   There are photos of recovered slugs of both types in the link I provided up  above in this thread. 
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 07:59:25 PM by JDHasty »

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2017, 11:40:47 AM »
I've used several different slugs. I like the Remington Accutips in both 12 and 20 gauges: 12 for elk, and 20 for deer. I'll see if I can find a 12 gauge Accutip that I recovered from an elk and share a photo: Remington should pay me for it to use in their ads because of perfect expansion. The SSTs are OK for deer but I wouldn't use them on elk as they're quite frangible. I killed an elk with a Copper Solid once, and it looked just like it did before firing: it didn't expand at all. The fact that I recovered it from a dead elk would be a strong case for acceptable performance, however. ;)

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2017, 12:30:45 PM »
Im not much on Nikon but after reading about 100 4.5+ star reviews I decided to give one a go and ordered the slug gun hunter 3-9 with the DOA 200 reticle. We shall see how it holds up.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2017, 12:44:41 PM »
Im not much on Nikon but after reading about 100 4.5+ star reviews I decided to give one a go and ordered the slug gun hunter 3-9 with the DOA 200 reticle. We shall see how it holds up.
I have Nikons on both my 12 and 20, and have had no issues.

If you have one, use a Lead Sled to zero the gun. ;)

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by gramps
[Today at 06:50:22 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 06:48:34 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by jrebel
[Today at 06:27:01 AM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter