collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: STREET LEGAL SIDE X SIDE  (Read 9572 times)

Offline 3dvapor

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
STREET LEGAL SIDE X SIDE
« on: September 30, 2017, 06:23:39 PM »
Anyone street legal there side by side.  I put a thousand miles on my Toyota Tacoma this year on gravel and dirt roads.  I'd like to buy a new side x side with full cab and heater etc just for Hunting but not worry about forest service etc.  I'll use it in Oregon, Idaho and Montana.  I remember something about Washington letting you Street legal them and use in certain counties.  Thanks for any ideas.

Offline runamuk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
Re: STREET LEGAL SIDE X SIDE
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 06:37:45 PM »
I have run into a few razor thingamajigs that made me glad I am not law enforcement because I never would have guessed they were street legal in WA

Offline 3dvapor

• Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 06:47:32 PM »
So you saw a actuall license plate for WA.?

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 07:13:50 PM »
Yes you can get them licensed but its a county by county regulation and its on 35mph roads or less. It is a bit of a grey area though...... get it done before you can't

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 07:17:05 PM »
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline highside74

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 07:36:15 PM »
I've seen a 4 seater in Graham at Fred Meyers. The family of 4 came out with groceries strapped in and went home. I was jealous. Saw another one with a dad and his teenage bow in downtown Puyallup on River rd.  So I guess it's legal in Pierce co.

Offline gasman

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 07:39:34 PM »
I asked the forest circus that deal with Rimrock and Entiat area, they both do not recognise street legal SxS, or quads.
Gasman

It's 5 O'clock somewhere.......

Offline runamuk

• Explorer
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2017, 07:41:48 PM »
Yes you can get them licensed but its a county by county regulation and its on 35mph roads or less. It is a bit of a grey area though...... get it done before you can't
Bingo it's something like this the one I saw had plates like a dual sport bike I guess they were driving on state and forest service roads.

Offline 3dvapor

• Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2017, 09:34:39 PM »
Does the metal tag look like a lic. Plate?   Or is it just a metal dog tag. 

Offline Mark Brenckle

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2017, 10:57:03 PM »
http://sodo-moto.com/incoming/?shipment=in-stock&listing_order=year&listing_orderby=ASC

Fully street legal on any road, although I wouldn't take any of them on the interstate. Half to a quarter the price, with a full cab, heat, 4x4.  Some of these even have A/C.

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2017, 11:23:35 PM »
I asked the forest circus that deal with Rimrock and Entiat area, they both do not recognise street legal SxS, or quads.
That's weird, I talked with FS guy last year and he told me a new management plan was going into effect soon that did allow utv use on roads and jeep trails if legal equipped.?  Hmm wonder whats going on?  They can be used on jeep trails and such in Rimroot...
MAGA!  Again..

Offline jkthomps

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2017, 06:40:49 AM »
Here you go.

http://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/watv.html

:yeah:

I made my UTV street legal.

Washington State - HB 1632 ATV/UTV Access bill

Good article copied below:

Washington State - HB 1632 ATV/UTV Access bill passed

Weston Johnson
Seabeck, WA
JAN 1, 2016 — The bill creates a new class of recreational vehicle (a wheeled all-terrain vehicle, or WATV) and provides motorized access to public lands while promoting responsible riding practices.

We want to clarify that the intent is to increase motorized access to public lands in rural areas, meaning trail connectivity, USFS roads, and remote/primitive roads -- not major metro areas!

Effective 7/28/2013, the mandatory ORV registration decal will be replaced by a motorcycle-sized metal identification plate which must be displayed on the rear of all registered ORVs and UTVs (side-by-sides).
An off-road tab will be issued to you; it must be affixed to the metal plate and renewed annually.
The metal plate must be replaced every 7 years for a nominal fee.
Adults with a driver’s license will have the option to register their ATV or UTV for restricted on-road use for an additional fee of $12, which will go into a new Highway Safety Account. Funds in this new account will be used to offset road/trail signage, education and law enforcement. A brightly-colored on-road tab will be issued; it must be affixed to the metal identification plate and renewed annually.
Safety equipment is necessary for this license:

ATVs

Two Headlights
One tail/stop lamp
Turn signals for use after dark
Reflectors
One handlebar mirror providing a complete view of the highway for a distance of 200 ft.
A windshield (unless goggles or face shield are worn)
A horn
Brakes in working order
A spark arrestor and muffling device (86 db limit on the “A” scale; SAE test procedure J 331a)

UTVs

Two headlights
Two tail/stop lights
Turn signals for use after dark
Reflectors
Two mirrors providing a complete view of the highway for a distance of 200 ft.
A windshield (unless goggles or face shield(s) are worn
A horn
Brakes in working order
Seatbelts
A spark arrestor and muffling device (86 db limit on the “A” scale; SAE test procedure J 331a)

A dealer/repair shop safety inspection (with $50 fee) and liability release are also required.
The DoL may develop and implement an online safety training course for people that register WATVs for on-road use.
Will you be able to ride everywhere? No, but cities, towns, counties or any state agency may regulate the operation of WATVs on public lands under their jurisdiction and on streets, roads or highways within their boundaries.
In counties with a population of 15,000 or less, public roads with a speed limit of 35mph or less are automatically open to WATVs with the on-road tab (Columbia, Ferry, Garfield, Lincoln, Pend Oreille, Skamania and Wahkiakum counties).
The legislative body of these counties can designate roadways or highways unsuitable for use by WATVs; these must be listed publicly and made accessible from the main page of the county website.
All counties with a population of 15,000 or more may, by ordinance, approve the operation of WATVs on public roadways with a speed limit of 35mph or less.
The legislative body of a city or town with a population of less than 3,000 persons may, by ordinance, designate a street or highway within its boundaries to be suitable for use by WATVs.
Public roadways designated either open or closed on January 1, 2013 remain either open or closed.
In short, control is given to local management: cities, towns, counties or state agencies. There are restrictions on riding on and crossing state highways. Public lands/roads are not forced open, and there’s nothing in the bill that opens private property or private roads.

Very soon USFS roads open to the public <35mph will be open to WATVs with on-road registration – opening thousands of miles to WATVs! Please be patient with the USFS as they adapt to this new rule.

We will also need to work with local managers to open roads/trails; these folks have experience and can help:
CBORVC: Larry Smith; Skamania & Cowlitz counties: Mike Hayden; King and Snohomish counties: Ted Jackson; Pierce & Thurston counties: Gary Johnson; Spokane area: Gary Prewitt

The bill leaves all provisions of "the Hinkle Bill" intact (RCW 46.09.360 and RCW 46.09.450).
The bill cites existing ATV legislation about how and where you can ride (Chapter 46.09 RCW). For years, it has been illegal to trespass, create new trails or "ride in such a manner as to unreasonably expose the underlying soil, creating erosion or injuring trees, crops or other vegetation."
The bill does waive the police presence rule, though, meaning that an officer doesn’t have to witness a violation in order to cite you for it. If someone can provide conclusive evidence (such as videos or photos) tying you to an infraction then you can be cited, and the metal identification plate helps identify you and your WATV.
Violations are considered traffic infractions.
The penalty for false reporting is a gross misdemeanor, and carries a stronger penalty than a traffic infraction (RCW 9A.20.010 and RCW 9A.84.040).
Ride responsibly! Stay on roads/trails and out of water; don’t trespass; don’t damage natural resources!

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2017, 06:52:57 AM »
Does the metal tag look like a lic. Plate?   Or is it just a metal dog tag.

Here it is.
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline gasman

• Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2017, 07:14:48 AM »
That's weird, I talked with FS guy last year and he told me a new management plan was going into effect soon that did allow utv use on roads and jeep trails if legal equipped.?  Hmm wonder whats going on?  They can be used on jeep trails and such in Rimroot...

Here is the email chain I sent.
First email sent in on the bottom.

Essential they will designate what roads can be used and what roads can't. It's the "Action plan " that was suppose to go in place years ago but keep putting it off. The greenies are still during over it.

The Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest is firmly committed to ensuring forest access for both Wheeled All-Terrain Vehicle (WATV) and other motorized vehicles. However, Washington State law and established Forest Service policy require National Forests to explicitly designate which forest roads are open to WATVs. The Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest continues to work closely with user groups through its Travel Management Planning process to determine where WATVs can be ridden, with an eye towards balancing access needs with the risk of excessive resource impacts to the forest. Working jointly with user groups and conservation organizations, the Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest identified 350 miles of current National Forest System roads that could be opened to WATVs without causing unacceptable resource damage. These roads were added to the Forest's Subpart B Travel Management analysis. A final decision on the associated Motor Vehicle Use Map is expected in late 2017. If the current proposal is adopted those 350 miles of road would be open to WATVs for use in the summer of 2018.  All other system roads would be closed to WATVs.  In the meantime, the forest has 243 miles of roads designated for "dual use" where WATVs can be ridden.

Sent: Monday, May 08, 2017 8:13 PM
To: FS-OkaWen_NF_Website_Contact <OkaWen_NF_Website_Contact@fs.fed.us>
Subject: RE: WWW Mail: OHV use.

Thank you for response, I have another question.

I'm going to paraphrase when I ask this question, 

How is it that the forest service does not allow for use of a OHV that has been deamed street legal by the state of Washington?

All requirements laid out by the state of Washington to classify an OHV as street legal, and the forest service still says no, why or how?

Pete Miller 

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------

From: FS-OkaWen_NF_Website_Contact <OkaWen_NF_Website_Contact@fs.fed.us>

Date: 5/1/17 12:44 PM (GMT-08:00)

To: miller400@wamail.net

Subject: RE: WWW Mail: OHV use.

It is currently not legal to use any OHV / ATV, even street legal or with license plate, on most Forest Service roads. There are some exceptions, mainly on the Tonasket Ranger District. See link below for a list of trails and roads that are open. But note that most may not be suitable for a side by side. Best to contact Ranger District where you want to go for drivability and condition of specific trails and roads on the list.  There is currently a travel management plan under review which may open up more roads to OHVs.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd521079.pdf

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, May 01, 2017 12:08 PM
To: FS-OkaWen_NF_Website_Contact <OkaWen_NF_Website_Contact@fs.fed.us>
Subject: WWW Mail: OHV use.

I'm seeking information on OHV use on Forest Service Roads. I am looking to find out if it is legal to use a OHV, (side-by-side, quad) that has a license plate on the forest Service Roads.
I have been receiving conflict and information, as to whether it is allowed, or legal. Some say it is legal to use on for service road as long as the OHV is has a license plate. Others say it is not usable at all on Forest Service Roads unless it is Highway legal.

What is the position for the forest service?

Gasman

It's 5 O'clock somewhere.......

Offline Widgeondeke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
  • US Army Infantry 91-98
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2017, 08:17:17 AM »
I saw one the other day in Lake Stevens driving on 20th near Tom Thumb.

Not sure I'd want to have my family driving in one with so much traffic  :dunno:. Not much protection from distracted drivers.  :yike:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

1x scopes vs open sights by nwhunter
[Today at 03:54:47 AM]

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]