collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Momarsh Fatboy DP vs Fatback vs all comers  (Read 5563 times)

Offline Netminder01

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Momarsh Fatboy DP vs Fatback vs all comers
« on: October 01, 2017, 09:18:49 AM »
After picking up 18 mo up my chocolate lab from training yesterday I realized I have no duck lease or boat for the first time in many years so might pick up a Momarsh or similar type of setup.

I've always liked the idea of a Momarsh and have hunted tidal marsh areas my Roughneck would have a hard time getting into. I'd probably throw a Gatortail type setup on mine (or similar) plus a trolling motor. A few years ago I was close to picking up a Fatboy DP and liked all the reviews I read and owners I chatted with but since then other products have hit the market.

Any thoughts, recommendations, experiences on or with similar products?

Basic features:
- sturdy enough for me (6'2"/275) + dog + 12-18 deeks.
- Small outboard motor

Thanks!

Offline aaronoto

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
Re: Momarsh Fatboy DP vs Fatback vs all comers
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 01:00:11 PM »
Take a look at Four Rivers.  Not a lot more then a Momarsh, but able to handle quite a bit more motor.

Offline Odell

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • the deuce is loose
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 02:44:27 PM »
I've been in all of them and currently own a 12 foot pod and a 14 4 rivers. The 4 rivers seems great for the bigger load you want, super wide, capable transom
what in the wild wild world of sports???

Offline Netminder01

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 02:49:41 PM »
I've been in all of them and currently own a 12 foot pod and a 14 4 rivers. The 4 rivers seems great for the bigger load you want, super wide, capable transom

Take a look at Four Rivers.  Not a lot more then a Momarsh, but able to handle quite a bit more motor.

I've just watched a few of the Four Rivers videos online - thanks! I hadn't heard of them before...

Offline EWUeagles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 07:53:12 AM »
Get a four rivers EBADS. They are a little spendy but man they are awesome. Some guys run 23hp mud motors on them and get 40mph with it. I have a 9.9 outboard on mine. They are rated for 2 guys but have plenty of room for a guy, 3-4 dozen decoys and a dog. If you want a momarsh there is a guy selling one on facebook for 900 bucks. If you have any questions about Four Rivers or the EBADs shoot me a message.

Offline Netminder01

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 08:54:51 AM »
Get a four rivers EBADS. They are a little spendy but man they are awesome. Some guys run 23hp mud motors on them and get 40mph with it. I have a 9.9 outboard on mine. They are rated for 2 guys but have plenty of room for a guy, 3-4 dozen decoys and a dog. If you want a momarsh there is a guy selling one on facebook for 900 bucks. If you have any questions about Four Rivers or the EBADs shoot me a message.

Impressed with what I've read and watched so far on the EBAD's... PM on the way re: the Momarsh for sale

Offline fowl smacker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: DU, Delta Waterfowl, RMEF, Friends of the Cowlitz
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 07:07:21 AM »
I've owned Marshrat, Momarsh, and Beavertail, and an Aqua pod.  My favorite of them all was the Aqua pod for the ease of paddling distances, followed by the Momarsh, Marshrat, and lastly the Beavertail.  I'm a big kayak fisherman and now all I use is my sit on top kayak for duck hunting.  For me it beats the snot out of the "duck boats".  Paddling is SO much easier and it conceals easily, stable, and has enough room for some decoys.  I can even bring my 57lb lab with me.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 09:18:32 AM »
I think there needs to be a clarification on what you need from your "boat"  I've used canoes, Aquapods and boats.

Do you want a form of transport? Or are you needing a place to hunt from?
What are the conditions of where you are hunting? Can you cozy up to timber logs or cattails? Is the bottom too deep or muddy to ge out of the boat? I've found things like aqua pods and the like  are great paddling transport and shooting platforms. I would never use them with a dog.
Most of the time when I hunt the Skagit we use the boat for transport and cozy up to stumps, unless the tide is really high.

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Netminder01

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 10:10:19 AM »
I think there needs to be a clarification on what you need from your "boat"  I've used canoes, Aquapods and boats.

What are the conditions of where you are hunting? Can you cozy up to timber logs or cattails? Is the bottom too deep or muddy to ge out of the boat? I've found things like aqua pods and the like are great paddling transport and shooting platforms. I would never use them with a dog.
Most of the time when I hunt the Skagit we use the boat for transport and cozy up to stumps, unless the tide is really high.

I'm window shopping for a layout boat with a little versatility. I hunted skagit with my Roughneck and found more places in shallow tidal marshes that I couldn't get to in my boat or couldn't effectively walk to.

I'd like to be able to throw a motor on the back and get to where I want to go efficiently, trolling motor for putting around... dog, deeeks. I may end up buying a lower cost 2nd for when friends or clients want to join but would tow it behind mine.

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 10:14:30 AM »
There are a few people who have built them on here and I'd love to see some reviews comparing the Hybrid homemade duck boat to some of the factory built ones. I would think a Hybrid NO with pods is really close to what you are talking about.  I have the plans but haven't gotten around to building one.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline EWUeagles

• Scout
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2017, 10:27:18 AM »

What are the conditions of where you are hunting? Can you cozy up to timber logs or cattails? Is the bottom too deep or muddy to ge out of the boat? I've found things like aqua pods and the like  are great paddling transport and shooting platforms. I would never use them with a dog.

He wants to hunt a dog, is a bigger guy and wants to run a motor. I agree that for paddling aquapod is a great option but once you start talking about hunting a dog or with a motor and still want a marsh boat you have to look at something a little different. There are a lot of good boats that would meet those options. Like Carsten Canvasback, Kara Hammer, Momarsh Fatback or my favorite Four Rivers EBADS

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2017, 10:36:47 AM »
The EBADs and SOBADs looks just like a Hybrid NL with pods.  :twocents: and more like a 4-$500 price tag.

Confucius

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2017, 10:46:50 AM »
The EBADs and SOBADs looks just like a Hybrid NL with pods.  :twocents: and more like a 4-$500 price tag.

Some assembly required.

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2017, 10:59:21 AM »
A lot of assembly but if you can use a skills, hand held jigsaw, a sander drill and arnt afraid you can do it... mind you if I had the 1500-2k  and not much time I may just buy one also.

Confucius

Offline fethrduster

• Scout
    • Mark Larson Gun Art
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2017, 12:14:30 PM »
I've owned Marshrat, Momarsh, and Beavertail, and an Aqua pod.  My favorite of them all was the Aqua pod for the ease of paddling distances, followed by the Momarsh, Marshrat, and lastly the Beavertail.  I'm a big kayak fisherman and now all I use is my sit on top kayak for duck hunting.  For me it beats the snot out of the "duck boats".  Paddling is SO much easier and it conceals easily, stable, and has enough room for some decoys.  I can even bring my 57lb lab with me.

Do you just sit on top and build a blind around yourself when hunting, or are you able to lay down in it?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]