collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Pressure canning trial run  (Read 8203 times)

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
Re: Pressure canning trial run
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2017, 06:56:38 PM »
No problem.  That same thing has happened to me 3 or 4 times.  Shut it down,  got it to where I could adjust the lid and fired it back up.  How old is the gasket on your cooker?
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2017, 07:00:18 PM »
About a week! it was just the little pressure lock that pops up and locks the lid. Must have had a piece of something in it.

By the way, We just had a grouse breast with leeks and mushroom while the pressure canner does it's thing. Damn that was good!
Low T Beta Male
Domesticated simpy city dwelling male

Offline j_h_nimrod

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2017, 07:48:12 PM »
Whenever a jar gets heated it creates pressure with the heat and when it cools will create a seal.  Time and temp assure safety of the sealed foods though.

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2017, 08:44:47 AM »
Last rookie question (ya right!)
The first time I had a boil over due to overfilling, and packing the meat. This time I left 1"+ head space, and everything sealed properly, but there was still a light skim of fat/ juice on the water in the cannner, and the house smelled like delicious meat. I assume this is normal, as the pressure releasing from the jars will let out a little moisture and aroma?
Low T Beta Male

Offline quadrafire

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2017, 09:24:22 AM »
Last rookie question (ya right!)
The first time I had a boil over due to overfilling, and packing the meat. This time I left 1"+ head space, and everything sealed properly, but there was still a light skim of fat/ juice on the water in the cannner, and the house smelled like delicious meat. I assume this is normal, as the pressure releasing from the jars will let out a little moisture and aroma?
It happens to me as well. I assume it is normal.
If you ever do Tuna. Do it on an outside burner as the aroma in the house is not that delicious  ;)

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2017, 09:41:11 AM »
My wife: "It smells like meat in here. I'm going to light some candles."
Me; "It smells like meat in here. Yum!"

Thanks guys for all of your advice.
Low T Beta Male

Offline fowl smacker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: DU, Delta Waterfowl, RMEF, Friends of the Cowlitz
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2017, 10:06:37 AM »
I also preheat my clean jars, I use the dishwasher on sterilize  mode with no detergent.  Make sure you preheat lids in hot (doesn't need to be boiling, but very hot) water.  Leave an inch of headspace with meats, packing the meat in tight won't adversely affect your finished product. 
The best canning accessory I've ever purchased is the Presto pressure regulator, it's part #50332.  Pretty much makes canning at 10lbs 1,000 times easier.

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2017, 10:32:55 AM »
My wife: "It smells like meat in here. I'm going to light some candles."
Me; "It smells like meat in here. Yum!"

Thanks guys for all of your advice.

My wife likes the smell since her favorite way to eat venison is canned.  The scum on the water is normal as others have said. Air and, of course, some liquid will escape during the cooking.  That's why you don't want to crank your lids down as tightly as possible, that expanding air needs to go somewhere.

Offline Southpole

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2017, 11:44:15 AM »
Two things that come to mind that cause juice loss in a jar. One, when the pressure canner gets up to temp, the weight is rattling like crazy (if you don't have a gauge), you should creep the heat down gradually. If you go from high to low too fast you will loose juice. The other way to loose juice is when your time is up, a person gets impatient and takes off the weight to relieve pressure so you can empty the canner quicker or running cold water over the top of the canner to get it cooled off quick to relive pressure. That's a sure way to loose lots of juice out of your jars.
$5 is a lot of money if you ain't got it

Offline j_h_nimrod

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2017, 11:57:53 AM »
Two things that come to mind that cause juice loss in a jar. One, when the pressure canner gets up to temp, the weight is rattling like crazy (if you don't have a gauge), you should creep the heat down gradually. If you go from high to low too fast you will loose juice. The other way to loose juice is when your time is up, a person gets impatient and takes off the weight to relieve pressure so you can empty the canner quicker or running cold water over the top of the canner to get it cooled off quick to relive pressure. That's a sure way to loose lots of juice out of your jars.

:yeah:

Think of it like opening a soda bottle fast vs. slow n controlled. If you cool (drop pressure) rapidly it will boil over much more then if you cool more slowly.

Offline FCCank

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2017, 12:25:49 PM »

:yeah:

Think of it like opening a soda bottle fast vs. slow n controlled. If you cool (drop pressure) rapidly it will boil over much more then if you cool more slowly.
X2 what Southpole and Nimrod said: Remember that the food and liquid in the jars is somewhere around 240-250 degrees depending upon the pressure in the cooking chamber. If this pressure is released too quickly without allowing the temperature of the food to decrease in a "controlled" manner gradually, then uncontrolled boiling and mess will ensue, just have to be patient and let it sit to cool down on it's own keeping an eye on the pressure guage down to zero before opening.
I've fell in love with canned Rainbow trout, better than the finest tuna in my opinion, anyway, FWIW

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2017, 02:45:38 PM »
Pressure gauge to zero, pressure lock opened on it's own, and I still waited another 20 minutes or so. It wasn't much at all, just a very light skim of scum/ fat.
Low T Beta Male

Offline quadrafire

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2017, 05:20:09 PM »
Pressure gauge to zero, pressure lock opened on it's own, and I still waited another 20 minutes or so. It wasn't much at all, just a very light skim of scum/ fat.
Normal!
No worries

Offline quadrafire

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2017, 05:21:21 PM »
Normal!
No worries
Just remember what I said about the Tuna!!!!! That skim of scum will reek your house!!!!!! Outside only ;)

Offline Southpole

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2017, 06:24:22 PM »
Normal!
No worries
:yeah: :tup:
$5 is a lot of money if you ain't got it

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]