collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Getting excited yet?  (Read 3889 times)

Offline Huntingtony

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Getting excited yet?
« on: October 08, 2017, 01:17:26 AM »
I've been checking this forum every day for the last month, I hope you all are getting as excited as I've been! I'm patiently waiting to get off this boat I'm on (work), and get into the woods! My goals this year are taking my off season research and practice and putting it to work to fill a tag! My fiance hopefully has her first deer calling her name out there, she definitely deserves it! In the name of rallying some good conversation,  what are your guys goals? Are you trying new spots or the tried and true? Anything you learned waiting all year that your going to put to work? What are your goals?

Offline viva_che1363

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
Re: Getting excited yet?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 02:03:22 AM »
This year the goal is to just get out and spend more time in the woods. Try to hunt where the deer are rather than where I want them to be. Go slow, be patient and hopefully get my buck or a doe. It'll be my first year hunting Idaho, so exploring new areas. Maybe find a reliable hunting partner. If successful get my son involved with butchering, processing, teaching him where meat comes from, respect for the animal and the woods.
“Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline crankin04

• Tracker
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 08:35:35 AM »
I've been checking this forum every day as well, almost like an addiction!  :chuckle: This will be my wife's first year hunting for mule deer over here in central wa where we live, so that's clearly goal number one and is double excitement for me  :tup: Goal two is to explore new areas and hopefully get a bigger buck than last years.

Offline Wetwoodshunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 10:01:29 AM »
I'm going to Montana in November and hunt here with a rifle. My goals are getting a whitetail buck in Montana or if the elk are around hunting those instead. But a whitetail will complete my deer slam.

I will also be out a few times for blacktail and will be trying to shoot a mature blacktail.

I have already done the archery season so far this year and have a freezer full of elk so the pressure to get the first animal i see low, but that demokn in my head likes to tell me to shoot.

Offline JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 06:51:09 PM »
Yep I'm excited! But I'll be jacked the last couple days of this month  :IBCOOL:

Offline runamuk

• Explorer
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 07:08:47 PM »
I started hunting in 2009 I hunted hard until 2012 when life slowed me down to only a couple days a season. And then 2 seasons I was sidelined. I am still hopeful some day I might kill something I want to eat. I have 4 days off this season in all new land and no idea what I am doing.  Praying maybe once in my life luck will happen to me.

Offline jagermiester

• Longhunter
  • My family is my life
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 08:15:14 PM »
I sooooo love this time of year. Spent the weekend scouting and preparing for next week. I'm taking the 14th to the 22nd off and I am bringing my 12 year old and 14 year old boys with me this year. My 12 year old's first year and he has a doe tag. My goal is to get him his first deer and my older boy his first buck. We will fish and we may shoot some birds. We got into some huns this weekend. My goal is to create memories that will last a lifetime. Good luck to all be safe and hunt hard. Oh yeah lead em if their running.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 09:32:35 PM by jagermiester »
Lead em if they're running.

Offline jennabug

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 06:49:45 AM »
Yes!
This week I'm going with a friend on her first turkey hunt through the WDFW mentored hunt program. Very exciting.
I'm going for my first deer this year. Funny thing is that I don't recall ever trying venison. When I was considering deer hunting this year, I was overwhelmed by the list of things to learn before the hunt (and not having a mentor)... from preparations to meat processing. I decided I wanted to do semi-guided for at least this first hunt to get my feet wet.
My main goal is learning this year, but I'm hoping to harvest a deer.

Offline rickomatic

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 10:14:59 AM »
Always get excited this time of year. Son and I are headed off this Friday for our annual Winthrop area hunt. I've been doing it since 1973, and have been going with him since he was about 8 (he's 34 now). I'm getting to that age where I tend to head to the "old man" spots. The legs and knees are feeling the decades now and can't put in the miles, and elevations they once did. But, nonetheless, I'll be out there, pushing my limits, and eating Ibuprofin when I get back to camp. LOL. We've graduated from tenting it to my son's luxurious trailer and a camp with a satellite dish for football.  8). It will be great to see old hunting buddies, and campmates, and get into God's country once again, watching the sun come up over the mountain to warm the cold body, hear the birds waking up, the chipmunks scurrying about and hopefully see a deer or two. Man, I do so love this time of year. Thank you Lord, for another year.
If man was not supposed to eat animals, God wouldn't have made them out of meat.

Offline MrSmallington

• Tracker
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2017, 02:38:22 PM »
My goal is to not get shot at by dumb blind road hunters... oh yea and take my first black tail. good luck to all!

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2017, 06:33:07 PM »
Always get excited this time of year. Son and I are headed off this Friday for our annual Winthrop area hunt. I've been doing it since 1973, and have been going with him since he was about 8 (he's 34 now). I'm getting to that age where I tend to head to the "old man" spots. The legs and knees are feeling the decades now and can't put in the miles, and elevations they once did. But, nonetheless, I'll be out there, pushing my limits, and eating Ibuprofin when I get back to camp. LOL. We've graduated from tenting it to my son's luxurious trailer and a camp with a satellite dish for football.  8). It will be great to see old hunting buddies, and campmates, and get into God's country once again, watching the sun come up over the mountain to warm the cold body, hear the birds waking up, the chipmunks scurrying about and hopefully see a deer or two. Man, I do so love this time of year. Thank you Lord, for another year.

That sounds like fun to me.  I've got those old man legs too.
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline hawgwild

• Pilgrim
  • Groups: NRA, WA ANG
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2017, 06:37:48 PM »
You know it!

First year hunting solo, first year hunting whitetail, and first time in a new area.  I can't stop thinking about it!  I got a second deer tag for the area I'm hunting so I just vastly increased my chances.

Offline Turner89

• Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2017, 07:33:05 PM »
Yes, I can't wait. I hope this feeling never fades. October is my favorite month.
My goal might be far fetched. I shot my buck on opening day last year. While helping my son get his buck around the 28th, we saw a monster buck. We had about a 5 minute stare down at about 100yards through my binos.
I saw him again on Halloween. I went up where I had seen him a few days earlier. I wanted to experiment rattling, and grunting. I got in there grunted one time real light. Instantly I heard something in the brush. Then this stud came out onto the little overgrown road with his head down to the ground coming right to me. He finally saw me at about 20-25 feet away. We stood there staring at each other again. This time no binos were needed. The whole time there was another buck back in the brush where he had just came from tearing up a tree.
 I have had 3 cameras up there most the summer, but never got a pic. I know he made it through modern, not sure about late archery/ muzzy.
 I'm guessing he scores in the 140's.

He is my goal :chuckle:
" if your a 20 year old and not a liberal, you don't have a heart. If your a 40 year old and not a conservative,  you don't have a brain"

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2017, 09:58:16 PM »
Yes, I can't wait. I hope this feeling never fades. October is my favorite month.
My goal might be far fetched. I shot my buck on opening day last year. While helping my son get his buck around the 28th, we saw a monster buck. We had about a 5 minute stare down at about 100yards through my binos.
I saw him again on Halloween. I went up where I had seen him a few days earlier. I wanted to experiment rattling, and grunting. I got in there grunted one time real light. Instantly I heard something in the brush. Then this stud came out onto the little overgrown road with his head down to the ground coming right to me. He finally saw me at about 20-25 feet away. We stood there staring at each other again. This time no binos were needed. The whole time there was another buck back in the brush where he had just came from tearing up a tree.
 I have had 3 cameras up there most the summer, but never got a pic. I know he made it through modern, not sure about late archery/ muzzy.
 I'm guessing he scores in the 140's.

He is my goal :chuckle:

Sounds like he doesn't spend his summers there.  I'm thinking you might want to to pass on smaller early season bucks and when the time is right, make sure your first attempt at this big buck is 100 percent perfect - get it right the first time.  Good luck!  I'm looking forward to pics!
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline Turner89

• Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2017, 10:12:07 PM »
If he's alive still, he's there. Just not in front of my cameras. I kind of messed up on my camera location. All most all the picks were does. Didn't have the cams where the bucks hang, and I only checked them once, that being when i pulled them  last weekend, so wasn't able to correct the location.
" if your a 20 year old and not a liberal, you don't have a heart. If your a 40 year old and not a conservative,  you don't have a brain"

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]